Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

• Senior Minion

Re: Is DCA Less Charming due to lack of Water based attractions and Lack of Landscapi

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Totally agree with you here.....and if you check out my link in post #97 you will see that science actually backs up your assertions about water
    Exactly. The positive physiological and psychological effects of waterfalls, streams, brooks and ponds, and the landscaping that accompanies them, is well documented by science.

Not that it matters to the executives who call the shots on how much money to invest in landscaping Disney's Concrete Adventure. They have their own $cience, which provides an extremely positive physiological and psychological effect to their budgets, bottom lines and bonuses.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Re: Is DCA Less Charming due to lack of Water based attractions and Lack of Landscapi

Quote Originally Posted by Mission Seagull View Post
    That's the problem of a "berm-less" park. Don't get me started...
    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    It's not just the lack of a berm. Paradise Pier, the area of DCA closest to tall external developments, has long, broad sightlines and a number of attractions that are really tall and really exposed. Disneyland's tallest, most exposed attractions (Big Thunder and the Matterhorn) flank the center of the park, and those are still shorter and less exposed than the attractions of Paradise Pier. Splash Mountain is right on the edge of the park and quite tall, but all the parts that would have offered terrific views of the HM show building roof and so forth have walls of rockwork surrounding them. If you want a park that makes you forget about the outside world, that's how you have to do it.
    Exactly. DCA has a fence around it higher than any berm that Disneyland ever had but even that fails to block exterior sightlines. Buildings in the area are taller now than ever before, and DCA's design did little to work around that. I have asserted many times that this is my number one problem with the park.

• Silly Bird?

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    Exactly. DCA has a fence around it higher than any berm that Disneyland ever had but even that fails to block exterior sightlines. Buildings in the area are taller now than ever before, and DCA's design did little to work around that. I have asserted many times that this is my number one problem with the park.
    Berms can grow very tall trees on them, fences cannot. But I must admit that a berm would not solve the worst sightline in DCA, the view of the Anaheim Hilton from the parade corridor. I know this wide pathway was designed to provide more comfortable access but it ruins the magic of escapism. And like Datameister points out, if so many of DCA's tall, exposed "wieners" weren't placed right on Katella and old Ball road, then the worst offenders wouldn't even be a point of discussion.
    "You know it's a funny thing, but when I drink too many Gin and Tonics I start to glow in the dark."
    A. Trebek, Jeopardy, aired 7/15/2010

SHAMELESS PLUG- Check out my gallery of original ride music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLbC...layer_embedded

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Just as trees can make a natural berm taller, a fence too can be taller, but I do not wish to sound as though I think that a fence is a suitable visable surrounding for a Disney Park.

The use of strucures such as Screamin's supports and the Carsland Rockwork are much better for this. The GCH also appropriately blocks views of the Disneyland Hotel from the park. This kind of construction will have to remain as Disneyland Resort's current and future "berm" because of the unique way the Anaheim Resort is surrounded by city when compared to other developments such as WDW.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Exactly....think of the 3rd park...that current parking lot has many tall buildings right next to it....morso even than DCA does.

• =)

Gotta use tall, opaque barriers along the outside of the park and put any tall, exposed attractions near the middle. Avoid long, straight walkways that point toward the outside of the park; use curves and visual obstructions to keep individual areas and the park as a whole visually contained. Keep most of the attractions indoors and put the paths right next to visual barriers - the further you are from the barriers, the taller they have to be to block out the outside world.

• Minion

The backdrop of Disney California Adventure is... California itself! Eisner was a genius!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

^Its sad that you're only realizing that now. (See user title for more information)

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Gotta use tall, opaque barriers along the outside of the park and put any tall, exposed attractions near the middle. Avoid long, straight walkways that point toward the outside of the park; use curves and visual obstructions to keep individual areas and the park as a whole visually contained. Keep most of the attractions indoors and put the paths right next to visual barriers - the further you are from the barriers, the taller they have to be to block out the outside world.
    On top of that, make sure that longer walkways line up with the tallest visual blocks so that the longer draws are suitably covered and use foilage canopies in areas where all else fails to avoid any upward angles of vision.

I will disagree with one thing you said though Data. Taller rides are occasionally suitable for the outer edge as long as their exterior portions are pointed in toward the park. Splash Mountain is a great example of this. The one requirement is that it looks into an area that is themed suitably. For example, Splash looks toward the river which does not seem out of place from the storyline.

• =)

^On top of that, make sure that longer walkways line up with the tallest visual blocks so that the longer draws are suitably covered and use foilage canopies in areas where all else fails to avoid any upward angles of vision.
    Definitely.

I will disagree with one thing you said though Data. Taller rides are occasionally suitable for the outer edge as long as their exterior portions are pointed in toward the park. Splash Mountain is a great example of this. The one requirement is that it looks into an area that is themed suitably. For example, Splash looks toward the river which does not seem out of place from the storyline.
    Yeah, I brought up the Splash Mountain example in an earlier post - it's a great example of how to do a tall ride on the edge of a park, like you said. That's why I said tall and exposed in that most recent post...I meant something totally open like Screamin' or Maliboomer or SSS.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

^Saved by a word this time.. lol

Even if I could argue Splash is exposed (and well exposed at that as far as design and asthetic).

• =)

Saved by a word this time.. lol
    I've been doing that a lot lately...I throw in just a word or two that I just know will come to my rescue eventually.

• Silly Bird?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    The backdrop of Disney California Adventure is... California itself! Eisner was a genius!
    That kind of jaded sarcasm makes the little kid inside you cry (jk).
    "You know it's a funny thing, but when I drink too many Gin and Tonics I start to glow in the dark."
    A. Trebek, Jeopardy, aired 7/15/2010

SHAMELESS PLUG- Check out my gallery of original ride music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLbC...layer_embedded

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

^^The sign of a good writer is just that. Including words that mean nothing until you need them is a great skill.
    ^That fits the theme of DCA too.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678