Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

An Autograph? Why? Really?

Just thought I'd toss this out, but I noticed a web site (can't recall if it was this one) recently had pics of folks in the park getting George K's autograph.

Now, understand I am not into autograph's at all. Actors/Musicians/Athletes/Celebs ... I've met plenty, but never gotten them to sign anything.

Still, I can get why someone might want Christian Bale, Lady Gaga ... OK, no how about Paul McCartney, A-Rod or LeBron, or even your late night talk show host du jour's signature on something.

So ... why would anyone want a mid-level theme park exec's signature?

I truly don't get it ... I mean, really?!?!

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

• Banned User

Re: An Autograph? Why? Really?

because to those people he is a celebrity

celebrity status is in the eye of the beholder

• Fantasmic! Fanatic

I want his signature at the bottom of my photo with him, because he's living my dream job and doing it in a manner that I would do the role in. He's that guy that I say, "I wanna be that guy one day!" I don't care about signatures from celebrities, those mean nothing to me, they sign junk all the time. But George K.'s signature is just special, he doesn't give that many to people so I bet when he does its pretty cool for him too. Thats all I can think of to explain it. I hope I see him next thursday in the park, anyone know if he'll be out and about then?

• Banned User

He seems like one of the coolest Disneyland presidents. He actually seems to care a lot about guests and their experience.

• Seeker of Fun

I can see what your saying. I met George in the park, talked briefly, took a couple pictures, hugged him, begged him to to keep Disneyland special, (ok, kidding about that last part). The park was incredibly crowded, and nobody recognized him. He almost bumped into me, outside of Indiana, which had just broke down. After we took a few pictures, we parted, and I then thought, should've asked for an autograph!

I think it's more about the history of Disneyland, kind of a line of successors from Walt, even though some have been really bad. I have high hopes for George, and was very impressed with how friendly he was and almost waiting for me to ask questions. (I was trying to give him small social signals to let him know we weren't nuts, and he could leave, but he kept asking us questions! It was cool!)

So, in a nutshell, I think it's more about the legacy and history of Disneyland, and hopes for a good president, along with a small piece of memoribilla to keep in remembering a special moment.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    So ... why would anyone want a mid-level theme park exec's signature?

I truly don't get it ... I mean, really?!?!
    To a Disney Nerd, he IS a celebrity,

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmanatic View Post
    I hope I see him next thursday in the park, anyone know if he'll be out and about then?
    Probably not, he is a busy, busy man. It's basically the luck of the draw.
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

• Not a Minion

I personally don't understand signatures also. usually, I can't read them, so I see no practical value in them for myself. I'd prefer getting a picture with them, or at worst, of them, just to easily prove to others that I've met that person before.

• Fantasmic! Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by The Disney Ninja View Post
    Probably not, he is a busy, busy man. It's basically the luck of the draw.
    Oh I know, last time I saw him he was walking with another tux person but I still stopped them. If only he read these boards...hot dog cart at noon on thursday if anyone wants to say hi by the way.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

It's a memory. Not everyone gets to meet celebs like you have and they want an autograph from the President of Disneyland.

I don't see what the problem is here.

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmanatic View Post
    Oh I know, last time I saw him he was walking with another tux person but I still stopped them. If only he read these boards...hot dog cart at noon on thursday if anyone wants to say hi by the way.
    your mention of hot dogs makes me wonder if the president takes his lunch breaks in the park haha. I think it'd be pretty funny, but cool, to see Mr. George Kalogridis in line for a turkey leg for his lunch haha

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ryanvalle View Post
    your mention of hot dogs makes me wonder if the president takes his lunch breaks in the park haha. I think it'd be pretty funny, but cool, to see Mr. George Kalogridis in line for a turkey leg for his lunch haha
    Good thing I'm flexitarian and not full on vegetarian... Can't miss out on those turkey legs.

• 秘密のヘルツ

When I've been lucky enough to meet celebrities, I've never asked for an autograph unless I was specifically at an autograph signing event. I feel really weird otherwise. But I'm sure autographs mean a lot to some people, and that's cool.

Pro-tip: If you're lucky enough to meet someone pretty famous (to you) and you want to actually talk to them like a real person for a while, don't hound them for autographs or pictures (unless it's some sort of signing event). I went to a party at Comic Con a few years ago and David Wenham was there (Lord of the Rings, 300). I'm a plump girl and I honestly don't think many people find me attractive in "that" way, and I was at a party with a thin girl friend who I thought was clearly an 8 to my 3 1/2 Cuteness Rating.

Oddly enough, Mr. Wenham was happy to talk to me multiple times during the party (even putting up with my slightly-drunk insistence that he could play David Thewlis' brother - how nerdtastic of me), and I think it's because I just treated him like a regular guy. But whenever my cute friend walked up to join the conversation, she'd ask for a photo or autograph in a very pushy and over-eager way, and he'd actually walk away and leave the area for a while til she left, then gravitate back to where I was after 10 minutes or so. I must not have bugged him too much!

(She did finally get an autograph, but only after annoying him for a good hour. Poor guy.)

Long story short: Pestering celebrities can annoy them, and David Wenham is very nice to geeky, hefty girls.

Quote Originally Posted by jupitertronic View Post
    When I've been lucky enough to meet celebrities, I've never asked for an autograph unless I was specifically at an autograph signing event. I feel really weird otherwise. But I'm sure autographs mean a lot to some people, and that's cool.

Pro-tip: If you're lucky enough to meet someone pretty famous (to you) and you want to actually talk to them like a real person for a while, don't hound them for autographs or pictures (unless it's some sort of signing event). I went to a party at Comic Con a few years ago and David Wenham was there (Lord of the Rings, 300). I'm a plump girl and I honestly don't think many people find me attractive in "that" way, and I was at a party with a thin girl friend who I thought was clearly an 8 to my 3 1/2 Cuteness Rating.

Oddly enough, Mr. Wenham was happy to talk to me multiple times during the party (even putting up with my slightly-drunk insistence that he could play David Thewlis' brother - how nerdtastic of me), and I think it's because I just treated him like a regular guy. But whenever my cute friend walked up to join the conversation, she'd ask for a photo or autograph in a very pushy and over-eager way, and he'd actually walk away and leave the area for a while til she left, then gravitate back to where I was after 10 minutes or so. I must not have bugged him too much!

(She did finally get an autograph, but only after annoying him for a good hour. Poor guy.)

Long story short: Pestering celebrities can annoy them, and David Wenham is very nice to geeky, hefty girls.
    omg I loovveee him! soo lucky of you to meet/hang out with him.

• Progressive Disneylander

Maybe I wouldn't feel the need to have that particular autograph, but if it makes someone happy, go for it. Life is too short to worry too much about those things that aren't our own cup of tea. If such a thing means something to the autograph seeker, that's all that matters.

• Disney Fan & Musician

I've never understood autographs. I know many famous musicians and I've never asked for one. Who wants a piece of paper that someone wrote their name on?
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast