• Boat shoes all day long

Red Face Weird Disneyland Memories

I have some Disney memories that don’t involve characters and long lines. They don’t involve churro treats, relatively clean public restrooms, tri-circle shaped corn chips, or knocking on the small wooden door that led to the White Rabbits home.

Trying to find an interesting manner by which to present this info, I am at a loss. So here is my best attempt – this is a thing that reminds me of family time at Disneyland. It’s not a thing that Disney’s marketing team will use in an exciting, fast-paced cut scene promotional DVD. It’s weird, I will just say that.

• Growing up in a nice, quiet neighborhood in Northern California, I was not accustomed to hearing cars outside my window while sleeping. With no auditory distractions, the deafening quiet led to ability to pick up tiny sounds, eventually leading to the belief that there might be a witch in my closet. More on the witch thing later. The only time I recall hearing cars drive by while sleeping, involved my occupancy of a hotel room about 10 stories up in what was then the Pan Pacific/Emerald hotel (now Paradise Pier hotel). I believe those windows opened in a sliding fashion, but they may have been vent-style, I’m not sure.

No matter, I would rest my weary, park-going bones in the bed closest to the window. The sounds of the cars going by would not hypnotize me into a deep sleep immediately; rather they guided me along day dreams of my experiences at the park that day, and those that were to come the following morning. Eventually drifting off, I never realized at that young age that the echoing sounds of motor vehicles far below would leave such a profound impression.

Whenever I am fortunate enough to find myself in a place where this automobile echo phenomenon takes place, I close my eyes, and dream of my favorite place on Earth – and I take in these sounds like those great whites devouring the massive Bryde’s whale on Shark Week last night

SO THE QUESTION IS:

Do any of you fellow chatters have memory-evoking occurrences like the one listed above? I don’t mind being the only one, but I am sure I am not. Mind you, smelling water in creeks or poorly-ventilated indoor pools to bring back the memory of Pirates or Indy is not exactly what I am referring to. This is different.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• Minion

Re: Weird Disneyland Memories

The smell of diesel from a nearby truck reminds me of being a kid at Disneyland and waiting for the train or being on the train. I guess they used to use regular diesel fuel. And hearing a recording of the sound of the Mark Twain blowing its horn or whatever instantly takes me back to Disneyland.

Very good, well done!

• Jack's Posse

Seeing someone sctrach their eye or something like that reminds me when me and my brother first rode IJA
    Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    Mike's funny. Dirty as a mud wrestling tournament, but funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    Mike Skellington: He is what everyone says is wrong with the internet generation, and I love the ******* for it!
    Mike Skellington
    My Tumblr.....Pretty Please Follow!!!!!!!!! And I'll follow you back.

• Closed Account

I think I know what you mean, Boys.

Like most families back in the 1960s/1970s, we would go to Disneyland only once a year. My parents would never tell us when we were going to Disneyland. They knew we'd never be able to sleep the night before. And often, they would never tell us on the day! Choosing instead to keep it a surprise.

Soon, we'd be flying down the freeway, us kids in the backseat, watching the Southern California landscape fly by as we rode from the Valley down the 101 to the 5. In the Valley, there were few overpasses over the freeway, but as we approached Downtown LA (we would never have reason [usually] to drive in that area), we drove through (what I would eventually learn was ) the "Slot." A sunken portion of the 101 with overpasses every few hundred feet--maybe five or six in a row.

The first year or two, I suppose I never thought about it, but in later years, us kids knew just by going under the overpasses in Downtown meant that we were headed for a day of Fun at Disneyland.

I still get that same sense of excitement when I drive that section of freeway.

I hear ya SDG - so many roads, including sections of interstate through the grapevine and all that ag land a little north gives off the Disney vibe. One, because some of it is seen in Soarin'...but mainly because of all those car trips in the early years.

• I'm from Canada eh!

All I got is a smell. Most every Sunday morning I make Pancakes for my kids and when I add the vanilla to the mix I am taken back to Main Street. I don't know which store exaclty, but one of the areas in Disney smells just like it...

• Minion

A couple of weeks before beginning the 9th grade, our family took the usual annual Disneyland trip and we had fun. However, when school began, I felt a bit sad for some reason. I had the Pirates music in my head and I would hum the theme song almost all day. It took a few weeks to bread out of my funk, but humming the Pirates music set me at ease. I lessened my humming but always used it to perk me up.
    The next year, when we took our annual Disneyland trip, I just had to get on the Pirates as soon as possible. When we got on, believe it or not, I almost cried but didn't. Too boys don't cry imagery. And little did I know, a few years later, I'd be working at the Blue Bayou.

I'm with Bob Weaver on this one. The smell of diesel exhaust always immediately takes me back to thoughts of the Trains, the Autopia and the Submarines. Also, watching bubbles rise from underwater takes my thoughts back to the submarines. (as cheesy as it was...I miss the old Submarine Voyage)

• Closed Account

To me, diesel exhaust from cars and truck smells nothing like the scent the trains used to have (before they switched to biodiesel). I think that was because the train smoke also had steam and steam oil in the mix.

Talking Re: Weird Disneyland Memories

For me it will always be the smell of musty chlorine (Pirates).

Night swimming on a partially cloudy summer southern California night will also give me a visual!

Ahhhh! Disneyland this Saturday! I can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    A couple of weeks before beginning the 9th grade, our family took the usual annual Disneyland trip and we had fun. However, when school began, I felt a bit sad for some reason. I had the Pirates music in my head and I would hum the theme song almost all day. It took a few weeks to bread out of my funk, but humming the Pirates music set me at ease. I lessened my humming but always used it to perk me up.
    The next year, when we took our annual Disneyland trip, I just had to get on the Pirates as soon as possible. When we got on, believe it or not, I almost cried but didn't. Too boys don't cry imagery. And little did I know, a few years later, I'd be working at the Blue Bayou.
    I love this story! Mice Chat is an interesting place that is for sure. There are so many people, coming from so many different places, but really sharing a lot of the same interests and fascinations. In a lot of ways, that is exactly what the park is. It is easy to get grumpy when it is crowded and strollers are racing by like a destruction derby, or people are cutting in the lines in packs of 10 plus but despite all that, there isnt another place out there I would rather be!

Here is an odd one:

Back in the day (early-mid 1990s), it seemed that Tomorrowland had a lot of those xenon lights casting on the foliage, making it appear that much more green. There were also the multi-colored lights aimed at various shrubberies in the Casey Junior attraction. I never realized that this was something I would see outside of the parks that would bring me back, but it has! I came back from a team run a month or two ago, and was walking it off a little when I passed by a tiny little downtown park in Danville. The lighting at the park was emphasizing some well-kept shrubbery, making it look alien-green. Immediately I was hit with a rush of 1990 Disneyland memories. The human brain is a nutty thing, but I love the way it works!