Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Night of Fright (DCA Halloween Lagoon Spectacular)

So here is a concept I came up with for a Halloween fountain show for DCA which uses the same World of Color technology. all images are projected as in world of color

Night of Fright is an all new holiday nighttime fountain spectacular showcasing the world of classic disney villains and the spirit of fright. The villains materialize and unleash their ghoulish tricks and treats in fantastic mediums of color, laser, fire, and light.

Scene Breakdown:

A. Opening Sequence:

This opening sequence features fantasia's Tocatta and Fuege in D minor

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX0gvHYF46o]YouTube - Toccata and Fugue in D Minor - Bach[/ame]

With a flash a lightning and rolling of sinister thunder the light of Paradise Pier goes black. An eerie fog spreads across the lagoon as silence grows. All of a sudden Red searchlights on the lighting houses sweep out towards the audience as Fantasia's sinister Toccatta and Fugue in D Minor blares throughout the lagoon opening the show in a powerful moment. The fountains begin to rise and fluctuate to the music in this opening sequence as faint Abstract images of disney villains appear only briefly on fountain mist including the chernabog, maleficent, and the magic mirror face.

Transition: The music and fountains reach a climax and then fade into darkness as thunder and lightning crash.

Scene One : The Haunted Mansion

This segment features the Haunted mansion. Madame leota appears in brand new animation to call out the spirits and villains to materialize. Ghosts begin to appear out of thin air and dance to a varitation of mark mancina's score along with original ride orchestrations and sound effects. The lonesome ghosts also materialize.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn6B--gbwuI&feature=related"]YouTube- The Haunted Mansion (2003) Soundtrack - 01 - Opening Titles[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAMTi4e3cr4"]YouTube- Re: Haunted Mansion Disneyland (Spooky Sound Effects)[/ame]

Transition: The tarot cards blow off madame leota's table and swirl around into the hands of Dr. Facilier

Scene Two: Friends on the other side (this idea is Steve's concept)

The sequence features Dr Failier who predicts what is to come now that madame leota has called out the villains. Vodoo masks and shadow creatures float around the lagoon.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLlQHHYWJUo&feature=related"]YouTube- The Princess and The Frog- Transformation Central[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82_ALj1KCFs]YouTube - Friends on the Other Side (Full)[/ame]

Transition: One of facilier's cards springs up to reveal and abstract rendering of maleficent on it. He croons "its the green...its the green its the green you need..and when i look into your future its the green that is see." As he says this green smoke appears across the lagoon and forms the green orb of maleficent.

Scene Three Maleficent:

The beginning part of the sequence features a madness nightmare of spinning wheels (think the sequence from the castle walkthrough). The music feature would begin at 4:06 in the clip and intensify. Ghouls and goblins swirl around from maleficent's prophecy. The orb turns into maleficent creates the forest of thorns in the styling of evind earle's original art work. She screams" forest of thorns shall be their tomb, go through the skies on a fog of doom, now go with a curse and serve me well, cast my spell." Lighting would strike the lagoon and purple fountains would extend upward as the forest of thorns which would later appear on the mist screens.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAYR80fIXe0]YouTube - maleficent (music from sleeping beauty) 1/2[/ame]

Transition: The forest of thorns grows and eventually becomes the dark forest of the headless horseman.

Scene Four: Sleepy Hollow

The headless horseman chases ichabod crane with a combination of mist screens and chaser fountains. While the classic music from the sequence plays.

Transition: You'll hear brom bones "once you you cross that bridge my friends the ghost is through his power ends." The horseman throws his flaming pumpkin at the viewing area. It smashes and a huge wall of flame explodes across the lagoon. A voiceover of iago is heard straight from the aladdin film, "Ladies and gentlemen..let's have a warm agrabah welcome for sorcerer Jafar

Scene Five: Jafar (Primary Fire Sequence)

After Iago's announcement Jafar appears from the flames as in the film. Jafar laughs demonically and yells various lines from the film stripped together, "Your time is up...Things are unraveling faster..get that point..cuz I'm just getting warmed up!" He blows fire from his mouth and it spreads across the lagoon. "Perhaps you'd all like to see how snake like i can be!" Jafar transforms into the giant snake. The head of the snake is a mist screen and the rest of the snake is made up of a trail of orange and red fountains.

Transition: The fire whips all go off at once and then all fades into darkness as Jafar's evil laugh diminishes. The bold orchestrations of the oogie boogie song is heard and the fountains and lasers across the lagoon turn to neon colors.

Scene Six: Oogie Boogie

The fun sequence showcases primarily neon lasers. Oogie boogie appears constructed entirely out of lasers( much like zurg in world of color). The fountains dance madly playing pong with the boogie man's dice as he sings a condensed variation of his song. "Well well well..what have we hear...Mr. oogie boogie said there's trouble close at hand, you better pay attention now cuz im the boogie man!"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw0aoVpFCDw"]YouTube - Nightmare before Christmas - Oogie Boogie's Song (English)[/ame]

Transition: The fountains swirl up in a vortex as oogie boogie laughs madly. He yells " you all ain't goin' nowhere." The vortex subsides to reveal the wicked queen.

Scene Seven: The Wicked Queen

This sequence features the wicked queen's transformation into the old hag. The queen appears and says "I'll create a disguise so complete, one no one shall ever suspect. Mummy dust..to make me old...to shroud my close the black of night..to age my voice and old hag's cackle.'' The fountains would react in certain ways to her commands. For example as she says "to whiten my hair a scream of fright," a scream is heard and all the fountains shoot upward in white light. The music from the scene below during the transformation plays.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9GJtM9lN-I&feature=related]YouTube - Snow White - the Jealous Queen Becomes an Evil Witch[/ame]

Transition: The hag looks up and dips the poisoned apple into a cauldron. The hag fades out and the cauldron is revealed as the black cauldron. It turns around and around and lands softly.

Scene 8: The Horned King

The horned king materializes from smoke seen in the clip below at 1:22.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIT3HM0f0-s"]YouTube- Disney Villains - The Horned King[/ame]

He says from the film , ''Perhaps it may interest you to see what fate has in store for you. Now I call on my army of the dead...The Cauldron born." he raises a skeleton above the cauldron and drops it in and the scene would play out from 3:26 on. Fountains rise from the cauldron as magic.

Transition: Dead skeletons are projected on mist screens and the evil mist from the cauldron brings them to life.

Scene 9: The Skeleton Dance

The skeletons come to life and dance in this sequence in brand new animation that pays homage to the old black and white cartoon.

Transition: The skeletons dance until they all break apart into a pile. All of a sudden a hyena walks up and chews on it and the sequence moves to scar's elephant graveyard.

Scene 10: Scar

Scar talks to the three hyenas about killing mufasa. He roars "I will be king. Stick with me and you'll never go hungry again!" The song be prepared follows beginning at 1:53 in the clip below. Fire and red fountains explode from the surface of the lagoon.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVAN2o-5pYM"]YouTube- Scar: Be Prepared[/ame]

Transition: The moon behind scar and the hyenas comes into view. The moon is full and Barbossa appears with his pirates and says, "You're off the edge of the map mates here thar be monsters!"

Scene 11: Pirates of the Caribbean

As Barbossa yells "YOu're off the edge of the map mates here there be monsters.." The pirate crew faces on either side of him turn to skeletons and "Down to the pirates cave" plays with the intense music at 0:14. The fountains and fire go crazy as the crazy pirate crew is featured in the sequence with clips from the moonlit scene with elizabeth from the film. Barbossa re appears at the end of the sequence transforming into a skeletons before the audience warning "Ya best start believin' in ghost stories...Yer in one!" and the music fades out around 1:25 in the clip.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juwyOu0klEI"]YouTube- Pirates of the Caribbean - Soundtr 10 - To the Pirates 'Cave[/ame]

Scene 12: Trapped
    -This sequence showcases a sequence of disney characters getting overwhelmed by the villains powers. Each character is cornered and experiences what appears to be the pinnacle of fright, a point of no return.

Blend of scenes displayed:
    -Peter pan, wendy, and john are captured by captain hook and the pirates
    -Mowgli gets caught in Kaas clutches
    -aladdin is banished by jafar (prince ali reprise scene)
    -cruella steals the dalmations
    -cinderella is locked in her room by lady tremaine
    -ariel is caught in the spell of her deal with ursula
    -Snow white is trapped in the forest

Transition: Snow white runs through the forest and her fear overhwhelms her, she screams and it pierces the night and leads to the finale.

Scene 13: The Finale

In a swirling explosion of fire, fountain, and laser light, the finale brings together every disney infamous disney villain in their ultimate evil appearing from a whirling vortex. They have conquered the night and it is now there's to celebrate! The music begins with the track "narissa arrives" from enchanted shall be followed by an all new song "Night of Fright" which would have slight homages to classic villains songs.

Take a look at this vid for an idea:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CiI4r-nvmk"]YouTube- Narissa Arrives - Disney Villain Tribute[/ame]

At the conclusion, the fog reappears across the lagoon and madame leota extends her iconic final dialogue from the attraction with a sinister sneer, "Hurry baaack...Hurry Baccck!"

What do you guys Think?
    Last edited by hawk671; 10-18-2010 at 03:49 PM.

• Imagineer in Training

Re: Night of Fright (DCA Halloween Lagoon Spectacular)

wow!! very well thought out and great transitions. This would be an awesome overlay.

• Disney Fanatic

This sounds great so far. It does need a big finish.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
    -Aristotle

Next Trip in 2012 to see the final product

• Clean Cup! Move Down!

Love this idea! Anytime you add villains, I'm happy.

Although, I would add the bad guy from Up and some talking dobermans. You know, gotta make sure the show doesn't play "too old".

-DrA

• Yeah.....

Omg, it's a villain-palooza! I'm loving this!

Awesome job on the multimedia presentation, too.

• Jack's Posse

Awesome someone has done a lot of thinking
    only thing is probly replace the Pirates scene with something else...
    Maybe a Queen of hearts from AIW scene...
    Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    Mike's funny. Dirty as a mud wrestling tournament, but funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    Mike Skellington: He is what everyone says is wrong with the internet generation, and I love the ******* for it!
    Mike Skellington
    My Tumblr.....Pretty Please Follow!!!!!!!!! And I'll follow you back.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Brilliant!

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Great idea! However, if you could add "It's A 'B' Movie" from "The Brave Little Toaster" I'd love you forever. LOL

• Minion

Absolutely perfect!

That is exactly what should be used for a Halloween show.
    The only thing I don't absolutely love is the Pirates segment, just because it's already in the current show. I do realize that the segment in the current show focuses on Jack Sparrow and yours on Barbossa, though.

Again, this is absolutely perfect, as are most of your ideas.

Some suggestions I have are to get rid of Pirates and Ursula. Pirates just because it wouldn't work with the animation just like in WOC and Ursula because she already has a spot in Woc and in the ride that would be directly behind the audience doing the exact same number. Instead I propose the Hellfire sequence from The Hunchback as that would be fantastic with the pyro effects and could carry over from Jafar with a nice transition.

Also during the Snow White number a ring of uncolored or black (idk if thats even possible) could form a cauldron and each ingredient could be fountain whipped in (a white fountain would shoot into the cauldron resulting in it changing color and growing taller and taller until it bursts green and transtitions into a transformation.

Really fantastic work as a whole the Paradise Pier could be a great Halloween location with creepy carnies etc etc. Really draw the teen crowd as it's already thrill ride centric.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• Sorcerer in Training

I believe that this is a great idea for a WoC Halloween celebration. I do not like Halloween shows generally at Disney Parks because of their soundtracks. For me, this show relies on fountains for a wow, as I generally don't like Halloween soundtracks. That's just me though.

The story is well thought out. I like the idea of spirits being called in rather than Villains trick-or-treating. That's not a villainly thing to do.

Also during the Snow White number a ring of uncolored or black (idk if thats even possible) could form a cauldron and each ingredient could be fountain
    No, it's not possible, Black represents the absence of light. A couldron could come in the middle of the lagoon as a mist screen. It is indeed a great idea though.

Overall, killer idea. Great job.
    YouTube page: The Sorcerer's Lair

"And so you see the magic isn't just in the animated characters, it's also in all of us"
    -Drawn to the Magic

"Remember...dreams come true"
    -Julie Andrews

"Some imagination, huh?"
    -Mickey Mouse

"Dreams are make believe, till they all come true"
    -Fantasmic!

"Believe me: this is one of the most exciting and challenging things that we've ever tackled at Walt Disney Enterprises"
    -Walt Disney.

"Disney has helped bring out the magic in us. Now let's work together and help bring out the magic in others."
    -SorcererHero5571

• Fantasmic! Fanatic

Thumbs up Re: Night of Fright (DCA Halloween Lagoon Spectacular)

Really really good idea! It seems like it would transition smoother than Woc currently does. This is something I would definitely want to see at least a few times instead of F! I would ace the Pirates Segment only because its already in the regular version of the show. As long as the finale was big and spectacular I think this would have a repeatability factor to it.

i love it but if you do not mind i think a couple scenes could be replaced

how about getting rid of Jafar and instead add a bit of humor and villianous with Hadis instead then after it Fades into darkness instead of putting Ursula you put the horned king segment in there with only his words in the pitch darkness and him appearing throwing the undead in a cauldron. then the fountains and mist screen would create the undead rising from the bay.

Then of course it transitions to the dancing skeletons.

The dancing skeletons would then make a great transition to a nightmare before Christmas segment of Oogie Boogie.

the segment ends with the Hyenas laughing hysterically and transitions into the Scar segment.

The fire of the Scar segment would then transition nicely to Frollo with the Hell fire sequence.

That would eliminate the Ursula and Pirate sequence which are used already in either WOC or Fantasmic.

at the end of the finale while people walk out of the viewing area it would be neat if they could add some hidden projectors that would make Screamin look like it is being overtaken by vines and thorns

• Disney Fanatic

Wonderful.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
    -Aristotle

Next Trip in 2012 to see the final product

• Banned User

I'm a bit confused.

I feel like its all "Oh look, I'm a villain, I'm bad, and I'm gonna do something" And then they don't do anything. Maybe I am misinterpreting this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast