Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Flynn's Arcade To Be The Attraction "Hypercenter" Of ElecTRONica

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    That's exactly right!

They can do whatever they want - Money permitted.

Just look at backstage:

And then look at the possibilities when you move backstage items out, and clear Innoventions, Redd Rockets, and the east wing to the Space Mountain Complex:

The possibilities to significantly add to Tomorrowland to the east ... are staggering.

Of course .. somewhere in all that ... a road to get backstage has to be in there, including the monorail "return" track. The DLRR and Grand Canyon/Primevil World Dioramas. A little skill re-imagining how to re-arrange things is possible. They could go vertical.

In the area I cleared out ... Originally there were 3 attractions (carousel theater, Mission to Mars, Magic Eye theater) ... Disney took it down to 2, turning Mission/Mars into Redd Rockets. But I see room for perhaps up to 5 total new attractions - which would bring the net total +2. With plenty room for what they have in mind with Tron.

A bit "too ambitious"? Perhaps.

I hope the area of Redd Rockets though does turn back into an attraction .. accompanied by what they intend to do for their Tron idea.
    Man I wish that could happen but don't they kinda need the backstage? I'm sure some of it can be downsized but a lot of backstage stuff can't be eliminated and just moved anywhere. Someone more intelligent than I probably knows
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I think your spacing ideas are right on the money, Tomorrowland. Thanx for the trouble you went to in producing the maps. Any backstage buildings used for storage, etc, can easily have whatever is inside them moved to other places in Anaheim. Keep in mind also that Disney could always buy up property across the street as well, and convert it into an extension of Tomorrowland.
    I think that might be a little too ambitious. The roads are going to be necessary and there are alot of accumulative expenses and issues your going to be running into storing certain items at a distance. Your also going to want break areas and such for the employees in places were the guests can't see since your focused on the "magic" of it all.

I'd also figure building over or under a public road would be quite an expense itself and probably have insurance issues. Not sure Tomorrowland needs THAT much space.

There will always be limits on these things but I think WDI does fine even with limits.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Right on, Jspider. Although I'm not certain about future expansion plans for the monorail, it may come as good news to you that a contemporary Disney People Mover is going to be built between the Disneyland Resort ant the high coming speed rail station that will be placed by the Los Angelos Airport.
    I thought that was all a sophisticated transportation system for Anaheim or Orange County not LA? Then again I don't live there so what do I know.

I praise the new system for the relief it can provide for all the vacationers and whatnot but that's all a project by the city or cities. From what I can tell Disney's pretty firm in leaving the monorail as is.

Which kinda makes me sad since monorails arn't really future themed anymore so I'd almost perfer it not stop in Tomorrowland but instead provide transportation for DCA/DL/DTD/third gate.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• Imagineer in Training

hey it looks like the ElecTRONica event is on,,they're hiring on Disney Auditions for hip hop dancers.
    Disney Auditions - Audition Calendar

In case anyone had Not seen this... Kinda interesting historical factoid...

Link Here:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The TRON attractions that Disneyland almost got - Jim Hill - Editor In Chief - JimHillMedia: Walt Disney Company news, reviews, history & commentary, Jim Hill
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The TRON attractions that Disneyland almost got

Wed, Mar 10 2010 12:00 AM

Now that the official trailer for “TRON Legacy” has popped up on the Web and Disney XD has revealed that it has a TRON animated series in the works, theme parks fans are now wondering what the Imagineers will be doing to help support what-the-Company-hopes-will-be its next big franchise. Well, before the guys at WDI spend too much blue sky-ing about the best possible way to bring this Joseph Kosinski film into the Parks, might I suggest that they check their archives? Because back in 1982, months prior to the original “[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005OCMR?ie=UTF8&tag=jimhillmedia-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creative ASIN=B00005OCMR"]TRON[/ame]” ‘s release to theaters, WED was already hard at work. Trying to come with ways that they could bring the characters & settings from that [ame="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0513974/"]Steven Lisberger[/ame] movie to life inside of the [ame="http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/parks/landing?name=DisneylandParkLandingPage"]Happiest Place on Earth[/ame].
    Don’t believe me? Then allow me to share some information that I recently gleaned from the February 27, 1982 version of Disneyland’s Masterplan. An internal document that Anaheim execs created so that they could then map out a 5 / 10 / 15 year expansion plan for the Company’s original theme park.
    There’s lots of fascinating what-might-have-beens hidden away in this report. Like WED’s proposed redo of Main Street USA. Which was to have replaced “Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln” with a new show that was based on / inspired by Epcot’s “American Adventure” attraction.
    “And why would WED replace ‘Great Moments’ with ‘American Adventure’ ?,” you ask. Quoting directing from this 28-year-old document now, because the patriotic show that was then being presented in the Main Street Opera House had “ … been overshadowed by current guest expectations and new technology.”

Copyright 2010 Disney Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved

This “Current Disneyland Masterplan” circa February 1982 is surprisingly frank. It talks about how a new Carousel show must be created because (again, I’m quoting the document directly here ) the “ … Existing America Sings Show does not fit the theme of Tomorrowland.”
    Mind you, some of the stuff that’s proposed in this version of the Disneyland Masterplan did eventually make it into the Park. Take – for example – the Rivers of America Entertainment Spectacular. Which was proposed for Disneyland because the executives who were in charge of this theme park back then wanted “ … to create additional show atmosphere with a production that is independent of name talent (such as an electrical water pageant).”
    Of course, these execs envisioned that Disneyland’s nighttime water pageant would be up and running by May of 1984. More importantly, that it would only cost $100,000 to construct. As it turns out, it wouldn’t be ‘til May of 1992 that “Fantasmic!” first began entertaining Guests who’d gathered along the edges of the Rivers of America. And as for that estimated $100,000 construction budget from 1982 … Not even close. From what I hear, the Company eventually spent $30 million on the development & construction of Disneyland’s Rivers of America Entertainment Spectacular. But given that “Fantasmic!” has wowed tens of millions of Guests over the past 18 years, I’d have to say that that sizable investment was ultimately worth it.
    Anyway … Getting back to Disneyland’s TRON attraction plans now: Back in February of 1982, WED actually wanted to theme two Tomorrowland attractions around this yet-to-be-released film: A TRON ride-thru attraction (which was to have replaced this theme park’s then-tired old “Mission to Mars” attraction) as well as a TRON-themed Arcade (which was to have been built in an unfinished area on the second the floor of Tomorrowland’s Starcade).
    As for details about these two proposed TRON-based attractions … To be honest, the “Current Disneyland Masterplan” is kind of light on details. The ride-thru attraction that was supposed to have replaced “Mission to Mars” was to have used “ … various visual and audio technologies” to give 2,250 guests an hour the experience of moving through “ … the computer generated world of TRON.”

As for the TRON Arcade … What the Imagineers wanted to do here was not slavishly copy the film per se. But – rather – incorporate the style of TRON. Creating a new space within Tomorrowland that would then allow Disneyland visitors to “ … experience and participate in games of the future.”
    “What sort of games?,” you ask. Well, according to the Masterplan, the second floor of the Starcade was to have been reconfigured so that it could then feature:

• An Audio Adventure Maze (Audio Exploration)
    • An Electronic Playground (Physical Participation with Electronic Games)
    • Mind Games (A Showcase of Computer Intelligence)
    • 3-D TRON Adventure Game (Visual Exploration)
    • Laser Hologram Game (Laser Light Exploration)

If some of these proposed TRON Arcade experiences sound familiar (especially to all you Future World fans out there) … Well, there’s a reason for that. Much of what was proposed for this new Tomorrowland attraction were actually just rethemed versions of the hands-on exhibits that the Imagineers had originally designed for the ImageWorks section of Epcot’s “Journey into Imagination” pavilion.
    Indeed, that’s a common theme that runs through this February 1982 version of Disneyland’s expansion plans. WED constantly looking for ways to take advantage of all of the development work that had been done for EPCOT Center. So that some of these technological innovations could then be used in Anaheim.

Take – for example – the proposed upgrade of Tomorrowland’s CircleVision Show. The Imagineers didn’t just want to replace Disneyland’s “America the Beautiful” because the “ … existing film … is outdated.” No, WED also wanted to go forward with “ … production of a new film based on EPCOT Canadian Film” because they’d then be able to replace the technology that was used to present Tomorrowland’s CircleVision 360 film. Replacing that show’s old projection system with the “ … new loop cabinets” that had been created specifically for World Showcase’s “O Canada!” show. Which would (in theory, anyway) allow Disneyland to alternate the films that were presented daily inside of this Tomorrowland Theater.
    As I understand it, of all the changes that were proposed by WED for the updated version of Tomorrowland back in February of 1982, only the CircleVision upgrade project went forward. Which is why – starting in July of 1984 -- this theater was then able to alternate its daily presentations. Easily switching back-and-forth from Epcot’s “Wonders of China” film to Disneyland’s new CircleVision 360 production, “American Journeys.”
    But as for all those TRON-related changes that were proposed for the Happiest Place on Earth … Given that Steven Lisberger’s groundbreaking film didn’t exactly meet Disney’s box office expectations when it was released to theaters in July of 1982, the Imagineers eventually backed away from the idea of building that TRON ride-thru attraction as well as turning the unused portion of the Starcade’s second floor into a TRON-themed Arcade.
    Though – that said – it wasn’t like Disneyland didn’t ever have a TRON-inspired attraction. As you may recall, the Imagineers did repurpose the PeopleMover’s SuperSpeed Tunnel section so that it then became The World of TRON. Where guests could then be surrounded by super-sized versions of the CG sequences from this Steven Lisberger film.
    But that was pretty much it as far as “TRON” goes when it comes to the Disney theme parks. But now comes 2010 with WDW's monorails being reskinned so that they then resemble the light cycles from "TRON Legacy." So maybe this film really will have a legacy of its own. At least when it comes to Disney Parks & Resorts.

• Artistic integrity

Some aspects of this article by Jim Hill don't make much sense.

They say - unfinished/unused second level of the Starcade.

The Starcade in 1982 was full of arcade games on both levels.

Only in 1999 - 17 years into the future .. did the second floor become unused. DUH!

Secondly ... in the early 80s ... the carousel theater was to get CoP back. Not a new show.

There was a grass-roots movement by imagineers at the time .. to get the show back into the California park.

Jim Hill's information is sketchy .. as he admits.

So .. those two pieces of Tomorrowland history are off.

Fast forward to 2010 ........ while I'm not thrilled by the thought of FRANCHISE-LAND ... It's nice to know the impending TL makeover is gaining some momentum.

Sounds like they're expecting this to do well.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how much influence this film has once released to be put into a possible attraction in TL.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
    Sounds like they're expecting this to do well.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how much influence this film has once released to be put into a possible attraction in TL.
    You're absolutely correct, SidVicious. The addition of a major (or headliner) Tron based ride will totally depend on how well received ElecTRONica on the whole is received. Personally, I think that Disney will have a grand slam hit on it's hands.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Shiver Me Knee Caps

I anticipate a new Tron based attraction in Tomorrowland eventually but wonder if it'll have much to do with riding light cycles unless they can find a way to have more than one rider per vehicle. They would have to strap at least 6-8 cycles together to get a halfway decent rider per hour capacity number. Perhaps have more than one person riding a cycle at a time. Maybe tandem light cycles??

let's say we have 8 riders per vehicle and a 2-5 minute ride...we'll split the difference and make it 3 min. 60min/3minute rides = 20 rides per hour on a good day. 20 rides per hour X 8 riders per ride = 160 riders per hour. That's anemic....Hopefully they'd be able to get 3-4 vehicles on the track at a time and bump that number to over 600 riders per hour but there would be 2 hour waits minimum and probably 4 hours waits when the ride first opened. If they have tandem bikes, then it would be 1200 per hour and now we're talking. And that's with 8 cycles strapped together!! It might work but we'll have to wait and see.

They might be able to use the existing people mover footprint and change the track again to add banks and curves to allow for a higher rate of speed. But it would be much better if they could enclose the attraction in a large building imo...make it more immersive with animatronic Tron persons playing with the light discs, etc...They could use the innoventions building to house scenes as well as the tunnel above Star Tours, through Star Traders and Space Mountain. It would be really cool if they could make it happen. It would be a great addition to Tomorrowland.
    Last edited by Dick O Dell; 08-11-2010 at 08:30 AM.

^ That's assuming that one vehicle went through the attraction at once which is a little unlikely try factoring in some more numbers there bud.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• Shiver Me Knee Caps

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    ^ That's assuming that one vehicle went through the attraction at once which is a little unlikely try factoring in some more numbers there bud.

no...if you read carefully I say they might be able to get 3-4 vehicles on the track at a time boosting the numbers to over 600 per hour which still isn't good. AND if they add two riders per "cycle" then they might approach 1200 per hour which is much better but you would have a "gang of cycles together with tandem riders and that might look a bit strange in relation to how the cycles are single rider and solo in the films...

So excited for this...........they should have made Flynn's arcade where the arcade is now in Tomorrowland.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Romantic View Post
    After Persia and Apprentice underperformed, it's nice to see that Disney is still supporting their other big live action film this year. I know a lot of people wanted to see Flynn's in Tomorrowland, but a temporary version is a safer bet until they can see the response to the film. If it's a hit, I'm sure they can just move a lot of the theming over to the other park once ElecTRONica ends.

I think Tron has an advantage. PoP was primarily viewed w/ the sitigma of "video game movie" and honestly, The Sorcerers Apprentice didn't geta lot of hype, even at the parks. I think I saw maybe one commercial for it on TV, and a movie poster at downtown Disney. Tron has had a big hype machine at comic-con, a cult following from the first (a movie a lot of critics loved as a matter of fact),and a new game that looks awesome coming out later in the year. I think Tron:Legacy will do pretty well in theaters, especially w/ the digital 3D.

• I don't know him!

Quote Originally Posted by Dick O Dell View Post
    I anticipate a new Tron based attraction in Tomorrowland eventually but wonder if it'll have much to do with riding light cycles unless they can find a way to have more than one rider per vehicle. They would have to strap at least 6-8 cycles together to get a halfway decent rider per hour capacity number. Perhaps have more than one person riding a cycle at a time. Maybe tandem light cycles??

let's say we have 8 riders per vehicle and a 2-5 minute ride...we'll split the difference and make it 3 min. 60min/3minute rides = 20 rides per hour on a good day. 20 rides per hour X 8 riders per ride = 160 riders per hour. That's anemic....Hopefully they'd be able to get 3-4 vehicles on the track at a time and bump that number to over 600 riders per hour but there would be 2 hour waits minimum and probably 4 hours waits when the ride first opened. If they have tandem bikes, then it would be 1200 per hour and now we're talking. And that's with 8 cycles strapped together!! It might work but we'll have to wait and see.

They might be able to use the existing people mover footprint and change the track again to add banks and curves to allow for a higher rate of speed. But it would be much better if they could enclose the attraction in a large building imo...make it more immersive with animatronic Tron persons playing with the light discs, etc...They could use the innoventions building to house scenes as well as the tunnel above Star Tours, through Star Traders and Space Mountain. It would be really cool if they could make it happen. It would be a great addition to Tomorrowland.
    What they will most likely use is an existing 'moto-coaster' design from an amusement company, which I would assume have a capacity equivalent to space mountain.

However, it would be a shame to just use an off-the-shelf system. I think a system of 'bikes' on a Test Track style powered chassis would work equally well and would prevent the ride having the distinctive 'roller coaster' pattern of movement. I'm assuming Test Track has a reasonable capacity.

Ok... heres my "Blue Sky"...

Starcade is given a makeover to become flynns which is an arcade of classic 80's games and space paranoids, etc...

It also houses the beginning of a line to get into the "Secret Lab" of Flynn and using technologies employed by the "transporter effect" of the old Vegas Star trek you are "Digitized" in groups (this is all a Haunted mansion esque way of moving groups of people into the attraction(s).

once you are "digitized" in to the world of tron you are loaded into a transport that takes you into the "game grid" (People mover esque transport that uses the length of track between starcade and the current innoventions with "Speed tunnel" video enhancements, perhaps a gimbled ride system similar to Indiana jones jeeps, and narration to explain the story, and perhaps add some thrills and typical "things go horribly wrong" story element before they drop you into the game grid)

Once you are unloaded in the innoventions building, you are in the world of tron... you can walk through environments, some kind of game grid "Show" (on par with jedi training show?) the End of line club, and some other interactive displays? (re purpose some of the touch screen stuff from HPland's house of the future, perhaps a light cycle game/ride that had a few sets of networked simulator pods? so that guests could compete, or spectate via viewscreens).

also houses the line for the big E-Ticket ride (show building for this ride can bleed out into backstage)

when you decide to leave, you exit out the regular exits currently being used for innoventions... or they can route it past the store kiosk near by autopia so they can get their tron merchandise on...

Pros for this:
    Particularly after experiencing the flynns arcade during comic con, I think the real wow factor even above having a new ride, is the ability to exist and interact with the "Computer world" Innoventions would be an ideal place to house this controlled environment, and accommodate the steady flow of people. Also allows integration of the starcade into the theme and the "Storytelling" of tomorrowland and gives tomorrowland a real themed environment to explore that is not the hodge podge of starwars/buzzlightyear/nemo/random space stuff that is the current tomorrowland) ... uses a portion of the PM track)

Cons:
    Tomorrowland is already kind of a theming frankenstien mess of hacked together, unrelated franchises... this wouid be another, but at least once you're inside it would actually all be uniform... It Makes the rest of the PM Track a bit useless... and Disney then wont be able to rake in the corporate product placement money of Innoventions... unless the tron Server is somehow powered by a giant HP computer

thats my random idea...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast