Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Western River Expedition?

Has anybody heard anything about western river expedition coming to Frontierland? I admit this wouldn't be my first choice for a new e ticket, but an interesting article claims that it is a possibility, a la Buzz Light Year . . .

Western River Expedition May Be Coming to Disneyland - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

I would like to see an update mine train to nature's wonderland, or maybe even a slow boat ride.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Western River Expedition?

Hate to say it, but this looks like pure speculation to me, as in..this guy wrote an Armchair Imagineering concept of his own of what an updated WRE might be, and that's all this is. He doesn't say he spoke to anyone officially from Disney or have any inside info, or claim any interviews were conducted. Not at all to knock you for posting the link..but a little reading and digging of the article itself makes it impossible to take seriously.

The article is basically a fan idea published under the pretense of "news". Look at the sources at the end: they are MiceAge (here!) stating there could be a new Frontierland E-ticket, a "extensive personal knowledge of Disney", and a Wikipedia article about the proposed Marc Davis WRE. This is a made up concept entirely and not an official Disney concept or idea in any way, shape or form. To quote from the article: "Possibly, however the ride may need to be spruced up a bit for present day audiences."

'While these two rides are very popular, some imagineers may have pondered whether or not an E-Ticket version of an interactive ride could be built.

Described below for perhaps the first time is a concept for the resurrecting the Western River Expedition as the "Wild West River Ride" by using interactive elements combined with a meticulously designed boat ride into the wild old west. While this exact attraction may not surface in exactly this manner, it is interesting to see what sort of ideas are floating around, especially as Disney hopes to install a brand new E-ticket attraction for Disneyland's 60th Annivesary in 2015 ;-)."

This all goes to say, basically...none of this is from Disney, and all pure speculation on the author's part.
    Last edited by RegionsBeyond; 08-06-2010 at 07:00 PM.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Banned User

They are planning an E-ticket for frontierland. THIs may or may not happen

I agree with Regions Beyond, this is armchair imagineering. Not bad armchair imagineering, but armchair imagineering nonetheless. The copying of Blue Bayou and the awkward use of cheap interactive target shooting are likely giveaways. Man, that would be annoying. All the pings and ricochets of errant bullets while you are trying to pay attention to the themed surroundings, it'd be like if they turned Pirates of the Carribbean or Haunted Mansion into a target shooting ride.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

• Banned User

We can only hope, in my thread about what area needs a new attraction, I suggested something similar for Frontierland.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

One can only hope.

It would be better and cheaper just to upgrade Grizzly River Run @ DCA.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PistonCupChampion View Post
    It would be better and cheaper just to upgrade Grizzly River Run @ DCA.
    No it wouldn't at all. WRE is an attraction based on interior sets carefully designed to be viewed from a certain angle. There is absolutely no way GRR could ever provide that type of experience. It moves too fast and spins too much and there's no space for show rooms. It also really doesn't fit the theme, WRE is very infuenced by the Great Plains and further eastern geography than California. GRR needs to be upgraded with some wildlife, but it's never going to provide an experience like WRE. An attraction like that would add incredible depth that FL currently lacks.

• All-American

I see Al Lutz as one of Disneyland's more reliable rumor sources, so I'll quote what he says about the subject:

During Tom Staggs well publicized two day visit to Anaheim last month, a major stop on the Disneyland tour was an afternoon visit in the rain to the Festival Arena in the back of Frontierland. It was there that Tom got a chance to physically see the relatively large open space that could serve as the gateway to the first big expansion of the park since Toontown nearly 20 years ago. While Parks & Resorts bigwigs like Operations chief Al Weiss nodded in agreement and rattled off some figures, Tony Baxter gave his sales pitch to Tom on the creative ideas to expand the park to the north, as the rest of the TDA executives smiled at Tom from under their umbrellas with visions of high capacity flume rides and people-eating E Tickets dancing in their heads.
    Assuming those two phrases are descriptions of the same attraction... sure sounds like it could be WRE to me.

On the other hand, I doubt we ever see WRE built exactly like Marc Davis proposed at Disneyland. Tony is never one to just take a plan out of the archives and build it; he (wisely) chooses to reinvent it somewhat and make it for the present day. So we might well get an E-ticket flume ride with AA sets, maybe with some scenes taken right from Marc Davis, but I bet it would have some new elements as well.

• Artistic integrity

It's a nice thought, and I'd be very happy they'd do it. But for now .. I'm keeping it in the "wishful thinking" box.

• Banned User

I'm all for them using the area, but I'm not sold on this. Several things could fit, or one big thing I suppose.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I'm all for them using the area, but I'm not sold on this. Several things could fit, or one big thing I suppose.
    There's more room than just "one big thing".....

Considering Discovery Bay had 2 big rides, and 3 smaller venues that were to fit into that 8-9 acre section ... they could today.

• Banned User

The original (and later revised) plans for Western River, though absolutely lovely, would seriously need to be revised today due to (1) the technology of the 1970s wouldn't necessarily dazzle audiences in 2010 and (2) the concepts of minority portrayal in the WRE would be problematic today.

Also, this ride was not just designed by Marc Davis. It was also designed by Mary Blair, though her work on this is mostly stored in the archives at WDI and is not on the internet.

It would be a cool project. Though I would assume that Davis' concept would be the starting point and work would be done to radically update the individual show scenes.

As long as it isn't tied to a movie or tv show I am all for it.

• Cove Bar Official Dj

this is that old school disneyland feel!
    -Ricky
    DLand Connoisseur
    http://www.djrickyjay.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast