Page 38 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1328353637383940414863 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

re: Disneyland - Old Photos and Ephemera Thread

1950's guests on a guided tour of Main Street

Pirates entrance at ground level, likely 1970's, before the restructuring and bridge building project at the entrance of New Orleans Square.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• formerly very helpful

The new Pirates entry/line area was one of the few enhancements that truly was an enhancement since the "glory days" way back when. I almost forgot what it was like before.

• Disney/Anime/Furry Fan

That's right. The current president of Disneyland Resort is good and he knows how to take care the resort.

The current management is doing well. Since I see Splash Mountain and Critter Country being refurbished this year, they do care after all.

POTC, HM, Indy, IASW, Fantasyland Dark Rides all are well-maintained. They are in good condition. Even, though Indy still breaks down a lot. Compare to the WDW management, their attractions are not maintained well enough and doesn't beat Disneyland version of the same attractions.

I guess the current tour guides are not as same as the female ones. Since you don't see those types of tour guides anymore.

Well, if you look closely at the old Pirates of the Caribbean entrance. There isn't a large bride or oval queue at that time and the old entrance resembles the current Tokyo Disneyland POTC.

Where did you get these pictures, RegionsBeyond? Cause there Great!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Regions, I have a question which I brought up before and I'm hoping you can expand on for me. The average age of the Cm's in these pictures seem much older than the average that we see today. Were the Cm's generally older in years past at the park?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Regions, I have a question which I brought up before and I'm hoping you can expand on for me. The average age of the Cm's in these pictures seem much older than the average that we see today. Were the Cm's generally older in years past at the park?
    Well, hard to call on that one..I am sure there were still some teens working the park, or folks in their twenties: both Steve Martin and Tony Baxter mention working at DL in their twenties for example in early years. It could well be that it did skew older, but not unheard of that characters at the time would be played by younger people, as well as kitchen staff and balloon sellers, etc etc...ride operators might have skewed slightly older. Interesting question indeed, but sadly have no concrete information: merely informed guessing really.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Thats good enough for me.

Thanks for your input.

• We Want The Redhead

From time to time on this board the question comes up about whether or not the Main st. cinema has always played Disney produced product, and only disney produced product. i have specific memories of seeing lon chaney Sr. and Buster Keaton pics at the Cinema as a kid. I noticed in the opics posted here, youcan just make out the name Sam Bernard on the Cinema marquee. I've never heard that name before, so off to Wikipedia i went and learned that:

Sam Bernard (5 June 1863 in Birmingham, England - 16 May 1927) was a renowned stage, film and vaudeville star. He also performed comic opera and burlesque.
    At the beginning of his acting career in vaudeville, Bernard went by Samuel Barnet, which was his given name; he changed his surname to 'Bernard' as he considered it "more ethnic." He began to explore acting in motion pictures in 1915, after he was signed to the Triangle Film Corporation.
    Bernard was one of the first stars to collaborate with Weber & Fields, and was also reported to have performed with the historic Lucier Comedy Company.
    He died of apoplexy while aboard the SS Columbus after its departure from New York enroute to Europe.[1]
    Acting credits
    Some of the movies he was featured in include:
    • A Janitor's Wife's Temptation (1915)
    • Because He Loved Her (1915)
    • Fatty And The Broadway Stars (1915)
    • Poor Schmaltz (1915)
    • The Great Pearl Tangle (1916)
    • Call A Cop (1921)

Thanks again and as always Regions...
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
    From time to time on this board the question comes up about whether or not the Main st. cinema has always played Disney produced product, and only disney produced product.
    [
    Very informative post, thank you for that info! Indeed, the Cinema did used to play silent films of non-Disney origin, including Phantom of the Opera. Oddly, this even went so far as to have a Phantom performer out front at times (courtesy of gorillasdontblog)

• Keeper of the fruit rolls

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Very informative post, thank you for that info! Indeed, the Cinema did used to play silent films of non-Disney origin, including Phantom of the Opera. Oddly, this even went so far as to have a Phantom performer out front at times (courtesy of gorillasdontblog)

When was this going on? I didn't realize other films were played besides Disney ones there and this guy is even more frightening than the old scary-eyebrow walk around mickey from the early days! What a way to start your day at the happiest place on earth "Look kids this is the man who will now haunt your dreams for many years to come! Are you happy now?!"
    -Jennelle AKA Blue AKA Dory

Quote Originally Posted by drphibes View Post
    SBF's lasso of truth makes grown men want to go pee pee.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendGonzo View Post
    Have you considered buying a bed?...as far as I can tell you live in an apartment with a computer, a coupon for hungry howies, and there may or may not be a llama there...
    DLR trips in 2011: Jan 12,29,30, Feb 10, March 29, April 3, 22, May 14, 18, 25, June 9, August 8, 21...hopefully soooooooooon

FB, Twitter

• We Want The Redhead

Now, in that latest posting with the Phantom costumed dude (it may be a mannequin), the picture playing appears to be 1913's East Lynne starring Blanche Forsythe. Here's a brief synopsis from the IMDB:

An aristocratic woman, Lady Isabel, leaves her husband and children when she suspects him of adultery, a notion which had been suggested to her by the scheming and murderous Captain Levison. Life on the continent with Levison does not work out as she had envisaged so, eight years later, she returns to England and finds her husband has remarried. She cannot bear to be away from her family and so dons a disguise, gaining employment with them as a governess. When her young son, Willie, dies she is unable to comfort him as she would like, and she too dies.

Sounds thrilling and action packed!
    My experiences at the original Main Street Cinema set me off on a life-long love of silent film.
    The thing I'm noticing about the tieles that were playing while Walt was still alive is that they were indeed produced at a time when a young impressionable Walt could very well have seen them and been inspired to persue his own dream of making pictures.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Miracle:(n) Kings win Cup

Thousand Oaks, Staples Center, Disneyland

Anyone else think they see an almost-subliminal skull in the headlight reflection on the ball?! That's rather clever!

• Miracle:(n) Kings win Cup

Thousand Oaks, Staples Center, Disneyland

Nothing goes together better than a few bumps on the flying saucer and a lollipop! I know! When we're done, we can tap dance along the entire Monorail line!! ...Or do a lap around Tom Sawyer's Island (Wait! Did you bring your swimming trunks Johnny?!).

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Puck2DaHead View Post
    Nothing goes together better than a few bumps on the flying saucer and a lollipop!
    That's not a lollipop--it's a flying saucer control lever.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I can tell you this much.

When I worked at the park in the 70's and 80's, I knew several people who had been with the park 10-15-20 years, some back to 1955.

Now, for a variety of factors I won't go into here, you are hard pressed to find folks that go as many as 10-15 years.

I remember reading that during the 50th, when CM's had the "class of" on their nametags, Disney was somewhat embarrassed by the fact that there were so many that said "2005".
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Senior Minion

Were the Cm's generally older in years past at the park?
    Absolutely. In the 50's and early 60's you'd see 'way more adult CMs at Disneyland than you did teens. In the mid 60's through the 70's, college students began to gain numbers, particularly in Attractions. Throughout the pre-Eisner years, standards were high and competition for CM positions was strong -- up through the mid 80's, Disneyland was seen as one of the most prestigious and selective employment venues in Southern California.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler