Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Duffy the Bear

• Infinitized!

Duffy the Bear

As Al reported on Miceage today:
    Editor's Note 8/9: The next big Disney marketing push is a new character named Duffy, supposedly Mickey's little teddy bear that travels the world with him. Way-too-cute Duffy makes his big debut in the American parks Oct. 14th at DCA and Epcot. Expect a major campaign, since he's already huge in Japan and has the potential for massive sales of the plush and all the accessories. Look for photo locations in DCA and Epcot as well as the obligatory viral marketing this fall, so get your credit cards ready. - Al Lutz
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XotxKZxUFUA"]YouTube - ‪Duffy the Bear character at Tokyo Disneysea‬‎[/ame]

Do you think Duffy will be as popular in DCA as he is in Japan? Do characters without any previous tie-ins to movies or shows work?

Discuss!

• Disney Fan & Musician

Re: Duffy the Bear

I posted my thoughts in another thread, but I don't believe it will be as popular. It might serve to be a success, but compared to Japan, where some people waited over 12 hours for the new Shellie May bear, it won't be anywhere as popular. I do hope that it's the same quality as the Japanese cousin & it's only sold in one shop. I'm guessing it will be sold somewhere near paradise park or GRR.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• The Knitting Disney Fan

Now, this is all just my opinion. I think it can be but it's going to come down to marketing.

Americans buying habits tend to be influenced by two things kids and collectible. Looking at the tickle me Elmo and zuzu craze we can see how kids interest in something can influence parents buying. Looking at the pin trading and vinylmation you can see how collectibles get interest.

With the right campaign I think it is possible they will have a hit but time will tell.

I can't see it being as popular as it is in Japan (they're crazy nuts about Duffy), but I'm sure it will be a decent sized hit here in the states. How long before he hits Disneyland as well ya think? You know they won't limit him to DCA if he's a hit.

• Disney is home

There are a lot of people that come from Japan to visit the the DLR. While it may not be as popular here, I still see it being quite popular. Especially when guests from Japan come to visit.

• Disney Fan & Musician

Quote Originally Posted by zeitzeuge View Post
    I can't see it being as popular as it is in Japan (they're crazy nuts about Duffy), but I'm sure it will be a decent sized hit here in the states. How long before he hits Disneyland as well ya think? You know they won't limit him to DCA if he's a hit.
    If they were smart, they'd keep him in DCA for exclusivity. Who knows, he might get so popular to the point of people buying a DCA park admission, just to buy a Duffy bear.

• Disney Fan & Musician

By the way, if some of you aren't familiar with Duffy, here's what the bear looks like.
    (credit to flickr user Nagi)

They come out with different outfit sets seasonally and there is even a Christmas Santa Duffy.

They see the $$$, keeping duffy limited would the right idea, but knowing Disney, they will offer it wherever they can to make that dollar!

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Now, this is all just my opinion. I think it can be but it's going to come down to marketing.

Americans buying habits tend to be influenced by two things kids and collectible. Looking at the tickle me Elmo and zuzu craze we can see how kids interest in something can influence parents buying. Looking at the pin trading and vinylmation you can see how collectibles get interest.

With the right campaign I think it is possible they will have a hit but time will tell.

What's interesting they've been selling "Duffy" as the My First Disney Teddy Bear for years at Disneyland, I got one when my wife was pregnant with our twins, Summer 2008. I'll take some photos, looks exactly the same as the character in the video, comes with a little story book about how it's Mickey's Teddy, and has a Hidden Micky Face, Feet, etc. Not as curly as the one shown, but exact in any other way.

I found a picture online: (It comes dressed in a removeable onesie).

http://www.magicalmemoriesstore.com/...ystore,/Detail
    Last edited by pinkertonfloyd; 08-09-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Added link to a store with the My First Disney Teddy Bear.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Of all the things for them to bring over from Tokyo...
    Last edited by Broadway Guru; 08-09-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: add smiley
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Done waiting!!

I don't get it...
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

I don't get whats so special about him... he looks just like a normal bear. Does he talk or something? Sound like Mickey?

• Minion

What ever happened to the old rule that "personality" was the key to the success of Disney characters?

Wasn't relatability and recognition of character traits and specificity of action, acting and emotion and amusing caricature and observation (as well as appeal in design) the reason we cared about characters -- and therefore wanted to take home merchandise to remind us of these fabulous characters we experienced in story-based situations?

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
    What's interesting they've been selling "Duffy" as the My First Disney Teddy Bear for years at Disneyland, I got one when my wife was pregnant with our twins, Summer 2008. I'll take some photos, looks exactly the same as the character in the video, comes with a little story book about how it's Mickey's Teddy, and has a Hidden Micky Face, Feet, etc. Not as curly as the one shown, but exact in any other way.

I found a picture online: (It comes dressed in a removeable onesie).

Disney My First Disney Bear Plush Teddy Bear by Magical Memories Store
    Yes, my son is 7 now and still has an earlier version of this bear that he grabbed when he was a baby. The outfit was a light brown and the fur was slightly different.

I actually like the Duffy idea, at least the way it's done in Japan. I've been wanting one of the Duffy bears from there (and an outfit or two) for a long time. I can't say that I'm sure it will be a hit here, I suppose it depends on how they do the marketing. There are photo spots in the park, etc. in Japan.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

They are going to ruin Duffy

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast