Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Redwood Creek Challenge Trail: Wasted space?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    It's not really the trail that's a problem. It's the Grand Californian that's straddling DCA's underdeveloped berm. Just think of the attractions that could've been developed for the same footprint that the hotel is taking up. It may have seemed like a great idea at first, having a hotel within the park, but, no one really thought about the future expansions back in the 90s when the park was being developed.

It would've been great to have another mountain attraction on the footprint of the Grand Californian. A mountain themed to Mt. Shasta maybe?
    Yes Very Good point.I'm not a big fan of the Grand CA taking up space inside the theme park.If It wasnt there I think both Condor Flats and Grizzly Peak could have benefited from one more attraction.At Condor Flats they could have had a outdoor show pavillion featuring a Rocketeer Live Action Stunt Show.In Grrizzly Peak they could have made a Yosemite style Mountain that houses a Bigfoot E Ticket dark ride similar to Dinosaur or a Bigfoot rollercoaster similar to Expedition Everest.Just my opinion though.

• "Always On The Move..."

I LOVE going there and make a point of walking the trails at every visit. Even though I'm too old for the tire swings (dang it!!!), I actually enjoy just stopping for a while and watching the kids on them. (The others in my party feel the same way too).

I think it's fine just the way it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Yes -- please bring back The Country Bear Jamboree (or a Country Bear ride thru) in that space.

OR retheme it to Brownstone National Park with Ranger Woodlore and Humphrey (and friends) in attendance.

Who even remembers "Brother Bear"?
    Well there was some talk about possibly putting some AA wildlife in and on the Grizzly River Run and also bring an updated Country Bears show on the lower part of the mountain in a small cave theatre.
    Last edited by Disneyland4Eva; 08-09-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch View Post
    I LOVE going there and make a point of walking the trails at every visit. Even though I'm too old for the tire swings (dang it!!!), I actually enjoy just stopping for a while and watching the kids on them. (The others in my party feel the same way too).

I think it's fine just the way it is.
    The last time I visited this area of the park was Fall 2004 with my daughter.I remember tire swings,lookout towers,rope bridges,and storytelling but I forgot about the trails there.Are they short trails or kind of long?

• Minion

>>Well there was some talk about possibly putting some AA wildlife in and on the Grizzly River Run and also bring an updated Country Bears show on the lower part of the mouintain in a small cave theatre.<<

I'm all for both. Is the mountain sufficiently hollow?

Then Humphrey and Ranger Woodlore can take over the trail?

• Parking Lot > DCA

Redwood Creek Challenge Trail: Wasted space?
    Yes. Along with everything else there.

• Seeker of Fun

My kids love it too. They love to explore and run around. I think it's themed pretty well, it feels nice and shady. I do think that a real attraction could be put in that space in the long run. It seems to me that there's a lot of space in DCA that's not really being used to it's best potential. Hopefully with the makeover, things are going a better way!
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

If the main pathway was closed down and the bridge walkway underneath the lift hill became the main pathway. Also the loading station for GRR could be enclosed and the first couple turns. That would give time for a jolly old bear or cowboy to narrate the opening and set up the ride. What's leftover between the redwood trail, main path and what's over the loading would be a very sizable showbuilding.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• will-o-the-whip

As said above, Redwood Creek is DCA's Tom Sawyer Island. It's a great place for toddlers to tweens to run off their extra energy and explore, which is important in a "park" where most things entail waiting in lines. Keep Redwood Creek and bulldoze the Grand Californian to make room for more attractions.

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Torn;

On the one hand back in 04' my son and my nephews had more fun here than anyplace else at the lesser park.

But it's not exactly a place where "kids of all ages" can really have fun together......

My verdict: Keep it until the space is needed for something truly awesome....don't remove it for the sake of removing it, or for some lame attraction or an even lamer store.

I agree that this is the most reasonable idea posted here.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

This can be said for a lot of attractions and most of the time an "E" Ticket ride is what everyone wants. Autopia, TSI, Toontown, Bugs Land have all been wished on MiceChat to meet the bulldozer.

As much as we'd all like E-Tickets we need something for the kids under 7 to base their wonderful memories of Disneyland on. For me it was America Sings, People Mover, Adventure through Inner Space and Mr Toad. For many of the kids today it will be Roger Rabbit or Heimlich's Choo-choo train. Doesn't make our memories better or the current crop of youngsters any less valid. We just need to realize, we need to see through the eyes of our children...not force them to see through our eyes by telling them what they love isn't good.

• My Favorite Anna

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    This can be said for a lot of attractions and most of the time an "E" Ticket ride is what everyone wants. Autopia, TSI, Toontown, Bugs Land have all been wished on MiceChat to meet the bulldozer.

As much as we'd all like E-Tickets we need something for the kids under 7 to base their wonderful memories of Disneyland on. For me it was America Sings, People Mover, Adventure through Inner Space and Mr Toad. For many of the kids today it will be Roger Rabbit or Heimlich's Choo-choo train. Doesn't make our memories better or the current crop of youngsters any less valid. We just need to realize, we need to see through the eyes of our children...not force them to see through our eyes by telling them what they love isn't good.

I agree with Aashee. Bugs,Toon Town,Tom S. island and Redwood Creek really wasn't met for us adults it was met for the little kids to have fun in. Heck we got alot more fun rides and stuff to do but the little kids only have 4 things at Disney make that 5 I forgot about PlayHouse Disney. So I think keeping the Creek is fine the way it is.

MY LONG TIME FRIEND THAT I HAVEN'T SEEN FOR 2 YEARS.

• keh!

i've never really given it much thought, but yes, it seems like it is a waste a space : /

and it's a shame because it's a cool area, it's got a wilderness/summer camp feel to it. it provides recreation and has a nice fun layout, but i never go in there! lol. and when i pass by, i don't notice many people even going in or out. usually everyone follows the path to SF street or Soarin'. it's a fancy playground, more than the bone yard at DAK. but, does DCA really need a playground no matter how cool it is? i think it could be turned into something better and more useful.

i too am disappointed by the height requirement on the tire zip lines. and there's 2 really weird "S" shaped slides towards the back that are hard to slide down and look like it can crack your spine! what's up w/ those?!

• All-American

As it is, the Challenge Trail is a fine and in-theme attraction for that area. As others have said, it's sort of the TSI of DCA, giving parents a place to rest and kids a place to get their energy out. And lots of kids seem to really enjoy it.

But that doesn't mean it shouldn't see a replacement a few years down the road. The Grizzly peak area of DCA lacks an attraction the whole family can enjoy at once, with the Challenge Trail being for kids and Soarin' and GRR having height requirements. So what I think would work there would be a Nature's Wonderland-type gentle train ride through the wilderness, with narration and Marc Davis-style sight gags. Or have a Fantasyland-style dark ride (the park needs these) featuring the goofy antics of Humphrey the Bear disrupting park guests, and Ranger Woodlore trying to stop him. Or even a revival of Country Bear Jamboree. The point is having a nice, interesting attraction for the whole family.

But that's all for down the road, of course, when the trail has worn itself out and the park needs a new attraction. Until then, the Challenge Trail is a fine placeholder for that part of the park.
    Last edited by MarkTwain; 08-09-2010 at 11:53 PM.

• Clean Cup! Move Down!

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    and when i pass by, i don't notice many people even going in or out. usually everyone follows the path to SF street or Soarin'.
    I've always thought the entrance to this area was unwelcoming. The cast member standing out front and the turnstyle things make it seem like "am I supposed to go in there?". If they just opened it up like a separate land (instead of a specific attraction), I think they would get more traffic from people wandering in.

I enjoy the area (and yes, I too am upset that I'm too tall for the tires!). I make a visit to this area every time I visit the park. It is a nice little homage to our National Parks and fun to wander around in.

-DrA

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast