Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Senior Minion

Re: Redwood Creek Challenge Trail: Wasted space?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    uh-oh .. you might be setting yourself up for disappointment calling it a "E" .. when it's more like a "D" ... but anyway .. let me say about the challenge trail -

I also feel it is DCA's "Tom Sawyer Island." As it does blend in nicely to the 'set-up' of Grizzly Peek. HOWEVER .. because Disney was dead set on pinning the Grand Californian right up against the area ... they've given no room to make it an adequately sized land.

While there's no room .. let me say metaphorically - there's room for improvement for this land.

Because of the Grand Californian ... this is where a multi-layering of attractions needs to take shape!

For a short-time in Frontierland's history ... there was the Pack Mules, Stage Coach, and Mine Train .. all intermingling with each other. One layering atop one another.

And then in Marc Davis' Thunder Mesa/Western River Expedition idea for WDW .... he layered a train ride, and trails for exploration, plus the eleborate WRE to go "underground".

If that was possible for the early 70s .. they can accomplish the same thing today ... where a new version of Redwood Creek can go on the top ... with some sort of train excursion .. plus some sort of dark ride-thru "underground".

But I'll forever curse Eisner for sticking the GCH right up against a park that NEEDS to grow over time! And I think it was also a mistake to place DVC units in a place that gives Paradise Pier little room to grow.
    I feel the same way. I don't think it's an all or nothing thing at all. There is enough space to include an attraction and still have some even better paths and caves to explore. I think it is wasted space as it stands, not because what it has is bad or not needed, but because the amount of space it uses and because it's in a land that could use more attractions.

Im know some people are saying get rid of it cause its not family friendly. But couldn't Screamin, TOT, Indiana Jones, Splash and other rides with height Restrictions not be family friendly rides. I think its a good place for little kids to run away and play.

I think Redwood Creek should stay.

My 4yo son and my nieces and nephews of various ages all love it. I agree with Aashee that the park needs some places for the younger kids, and Redwood Creek is a must-visit on all our trips to DCA.

It seems that most of the people wanting it's removal are looking at it purely from their personal, adult point of view, which seems a little selfish to me.

BTW, I like the idea of retheming it with Up.

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    >>Well there was some talk about possibly putting some AA wildlife in and on the Grizzly River Run and also bring an updated Country Bears show on the lower part of the mouintain in a small cave theatre.<<

I'm all for both. Is the mountain sufficiently hollow?
    I remember this being talked about; I think Al Lutz brought it up in articles. The problem was exactly what you ask, that the mountain does not have sufficient room. It's a huge structure that was designed in a way that it only housed one attraction, but it wasted extra space and rendered it unusable.

I think adding details to GRR and returning the Country Bears to an area that would suit them very well would be a fabulous idea, and is needed in the Golden State land. But it seems that it would be a major design and project, so I doubt we'll ever see it.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Banned User

The country bears don't fit...seeing as how California, isn't the south. It's far from wasted space though. It's nicely themed, and me and my friends don't mind walking through every once in a while with their kids. Always have a nice time.

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    The country bears don't fit...seeing as how California, isn't the south.
    Well, northern California does have a lot of country living... country and folk music, cowboy types, southern drawls.
    It also has bears.

I guess thinking of Southern California, it's hard to imagine, but I was raised in a very rural area up north that resembles the wooded Golden State area, and there was plenty of what I would describe as "country". (And I've seen country, as most of my family lives in LA: Lower Alabama)

If Winnie the Pooh, in rural England (?) can fit in fairly well with Critter Country, I think Country Bear Jamboree is perfect for Golden State!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    Well, northern California does have a lot of country living... country and folk music, cowboy types, southern drawls.
    It also has bears.

I guess thinking of Southern California, it's hard to imagine, but I was raised in a very rural area up north that resembles the wooded Golden State area, and there was plenty of what I would describe as "country". (And I've seen country, as most of my family lives in LA: Lower Alabama)

If Winnie the Pooh, in rural England (?) can fit in fairly well with Critter Country, I think Country Bear Jamboree is perfect for Golden State!

I guesssssssss.....but they're so specifically Southern, I just can't see it. As for Pooh, I don't think the imaginary woods are meant to be in England specifically, but I see your point. They do fit very well in Critter Country. Certainly better then Disney World's placing of them in Fantasyland.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234