Working part time at disneyland

About 5 months ago, in march, i applied for the attractions position at the disneyland resort. I never heard back from disney until 3 days ago when i got an email asking me to come in for an interview. I thought this was strange to contact me now this late in summer because i put on my application that i'm a full time college student at USC and could only work seasonal. Regardless i still scheduled an interview for next week. Does anybody know if theres a way to be part time at disneyland and only work like 10 hours a week during the school year? So for example come in one day a week on either friday, saturday or sunday and work a full 8 or 10 hour day? Should i ask that at the interview? I'm an engineering student so i literally couldn't give more than 10 or so hours a week to a part time job, but i also want to go into imagineering so this is really important to me. Any incite or advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

• LaTruce

Re: Working part time at disneyland

I've heard that it would he hard to control your hours that way. I have heard that to work there, they're very demanding of hours, especially holidays and weekends (which, I'm sure isn't a problem since you aren't going to be going to classes during those times)

I've also heard that it would be hard to work there while going to school unless your #1 priority is working at Disneyland, and you'd have to adjust your school schedule accordingly.

I don't know this for sure through experience, but it's just what I've heard from my friends and former Cast Members.

Knowing this, I have applied and tried to get a job there. I know I am very patient, forgiving, smart and able to work with all types of personalities, but i cant seem to pass the "computer personality test". Which makes me disappointed because the guy who offered to sell me weed while there (and he had it in his pocket while there) passed the computer test, got an interview, and got hired. Oh well, I keep trying every six months...

There are three levels of CM's: CT (casual-temporary, or seasonal), CR (casual-regular, or part-time) and full time. (Well, and there's college program, too.) I think you can be CR and only work mostly on the weekends during the off-season, although I haven't done that. These would be good things to ask your interviewer about. The good news is that Disney needs a LOT less CM's during the off-season, so you're going to have less hours while school is in session anyway. That can actually be a problem for CM's, they dont get as many hours as they need. But then the sky is the limit during summer. Anyway, I dont know if they're hiring anyone as CT right now because it's not a peak season when CT's work, but you could ask about that, too. The person who interviewed me was very, very nice and helpful, so hopefully yours will be too.

• Minion

Wink Re: Working part time at disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by LaTruce View Post
    I've heard that it would he hard to control your hours that way. I have heard that to work there, they're very demanding of hours, especially holidays and weekends (which, I'm sure isn't a problem since you aren't going to be going to classes during those times)

I've also heard that it would be hard to work there while going to school unless your #1 priority is working at Disneyland, and you'd have to adjust your school schedule accordingly.

I don't know this for sure through experience, but it's just what I've heard from my friends and former Cast Members.

Knowing this, I have applied and tried to get a job there. I know I am very patient, forgiving, smart and able to work with all types of personalities, but i cant seem to pass the "computer personality test". Which makes me disappointed because the guy who offered to sell me weed while there (and he had it in his pocket while there) passed the computer test, got an interview, and got hired. Oh well, I keep trying every six months...
    You do know those tests are not designed to be answered honestly right? You have to answer the questions the way Disney wants you to answer, not the way you would honestly answer. Same thing happened to my wife the first time she applied. The gal that got her test results just told her she was "too honest". She tried it again after I coached her on how to answer things correctly and bam. She passed the test.

So how much weed did ya buy? j/k

I have friends that used to work attractions and they said the hours were very demanding. I would bring it up during the interview but towards the end not the beginning
    if ye be brave or fool enough to face a pirate's curse, proceed.

• Banned User

Casual Regulars and Casual Temporaries are required to be fully available during peak seasons like Halloween, Winter, and Summer. If you cannot do that, tough.

Source: Me, I work there.

• River Guide!!

Got this right off the hub, i'm paraphrasing of course, since it would be illegal to copy and paste.

IN GENERAL (there are exceptions to every rule)
    Casual Regular CMs must be:
    -Fully available during peak seasons
    -Fully Available to work Friday evenings, Saturday and Sunday, AND at least one additional week day evening during not peak seasons.

Casual Temporary CMs will only work peak seasons and must be fully available for that.

My guess is that you have an interview for a CT position, what with Thanksgiving and the winter holiday coming up. It takes about 3-6 weeks from the date of your interview to get thru the on-boarding procedures (paperwork, traditions, welcome-to class, and guest interaction training)
    Life begins when the season starts...nothing matters between november and march

• Future CM...someday șoș

My sister has a teacher who's a part timer character at Disneyland. She works every sunday and sometimes she works saturday.

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Telpeurion View Post
    Casual Regulars and Casual Temporaries are required to be fully available during peak seasons like Halloween, Winter, and Summer. If you cannot do that, tough.

Source: Me, I work there.
    yep. their needs come before yours
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

You might want to looking into some of their internships or other internships. IMO great grades and some nice internships would give you a better start in the field than working one day at the park. I'd put your academics first.

You might not get in there right away so I'd focus on a strong foundation. I did engineering in undergrad and recommend solid engineering internships/work. Plus, when I later went back to law school undergrad grades mattered during the application process.

Just my two cents, but I really think you better focusing on grades and quality work experience in your field.

EDIT: You could always try the college program, if you really wanted to spend a summer working there. At least that way you could tell a future employer that it was some defined program for college students. However if your later in your college years I'd get some more focus engineering experience.
    Last edited by Raindown; 10-17-2010 at 08:24 PM.