• Legends never die...

Current and Former Tour Guide/Plaid Cast Members

I have been told by some CM friends recently that I should apply to be a tour guide CM, but since I have never seen one in action, I was wondering what exactly the job entailed?

So any tour guides out there, what does working as a tour guide at Disneyland mean? Are there any specific job requirements? What kind of stuff do you do (Besides the standard tours i.e. Walt's footsteps, etc)? Any info would be great, even if you've never been one, but can answer my questions.

Thanks!
    My Inspirations:
    Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees
    AND
    Robert and Richard Sherman

• Disney is home

Re: Current and Former Tour Guide/Plaid Cast Members

Are you a current cast member? If not, I've been told they currently are not hiring anyone directly into Guest Relations but must transfer from another department.

• =)

Yeah, I struck up a conversation with a "plaid" while waiting for WoC pretty recently - I was way in the back of blue, and she was standing nearby. She said they weren't really hiring directly into guest relations because you just need to know so much stuff about the entire resort in order to do the job right. Makes sense, I suppose.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
    I have been told by some CM friends recently that I should apply to be a tour guide CM, but since I have never seen one in action, I was wondering what exactly the job entailed?
    Guest Relations covers a large park of the park. Like has already been said, they generally hire from within. Then, you are rarely only a tour guide. Tour Guides also work Guest Relations areas, such as City Hall, Lost and Found, Guest Services, etc...
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• It's Been My Pleasure

Guest Relations is (now again) a transfer-only department. Tour Guides work every other Guest Relations position (Phone Room, Info Board/Station, City Hall/GR Lobby, Lost and Found, GR Window...etc.) in possible addition to being trained on a tour (WIWF, Welcome, Segway, Discover, Happiest Haunts, Holiday). Not all Guest Relations CMs are Tour Guides, not all Tour Guides are VIP Hosts/Hostesses.

If you prove to be a great guide, you'll get trained on multiple tours. If you're a phenomenal guide, can adapt to any and all guests and the different types of service they require, prove endless tact and make the perfect judgement call every single time, you may be invited to interview for a VIP Host position, should there be a call for such.

People should look into Guest Relations if they enjoy conflict resolution. While striving to become a Tour Guide is all well and good, don't try to go in to the department looking to become a VIP Host/Hostess, you'll make a lot of enemies very quickly.

• Legends never die...

Hahaha wow. thanks SO much for the wealth of info guys, I knew this was the place to ask.

I definitely wasn't expecting to apply and go straight to tours/VIP or anything, so no worries there. I didn't know all that about Guest Relations, but I guess that makes sense. Again thanks for all the info, since I had no idea what it was all about.

Even so, I'm still curious about the tours/guides. Is it all scripted? Or are you allowed to add other info like JC Skipper's sometimes do?
    Last edited by Outlander; 08-11-2010 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Additional Question
    My Inspirations:
    Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees
    AND
    Robert and Richard Sherman

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

While VIP Tours are unscripted, the Guided Tours are very carefully scripted. Just like the skippers, there are some Tour Guides who go off-script, but those Tour Guides (like those skippers) run the risk of progressive discipline for doing so. The Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour is the only tour where the Guide can add stories that aren't in the current script, but these stories must first be approved my management and WDI. In most cases, this is simply someone who has been a Guide for several years adding a story that used to be in an older script back into the current one. There is a high importance placed on giving each Guest a consistent experience. The tour scripts range from 10 to 25 pages.
    Last edited by RumRunner31; 08-11-2010 at 07:30 AM. Reason: clarification
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney