Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• N/A

Re: Do you think any BIG names come on to the boards?

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Well, artificial turf is fake grass. So if TDA members are "artificial turf-ing" a message board then they are posting to build up support for something. It would be like a spate of posts about how great WoC is right before it opens to try and drum up support for it among MiceChatters. They aren't genuine posts, they are fake, artificial.
    I think the term being looked for here is 'astroturfing'. It is meant to be a play on 'grassroots' and the terms are generally used in the political arena.

Astroturfing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

•   
    • Kerplookee

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie89 View Post
    I was just wondering, do you guys think any big names come onto this board and actually read what we have too say? For example like Tony Baxter?
    like Dream Suite winners?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

• Senior Minion

...From which article comes the definition:
    Astroturfing denotes political, advertising, or public relations campaigns that are formally planned by an organization, but are disguised as spontaneous, popular "grassroots" behavior. The term refers to AstroTurf, a brand of synthetic carpeting designed to look like natural grass.

The goal of such campaigns is to disguise the efforts of a political or commercial entity as an independent public reaction to some political entity—a politician, political group, product, service or event. Astroturfers attempt to orchestrate the actions of apparently diverse and geographically distributed individuals, by both overt ("outreach", "awareness", etc.) and covert (disinformation) means.

Astroturfing may be undertaken by an individual promoting a personal agenda, or highly organized professional groups with money from large corporations, unions, non-profits, or activist organizations. Very often, the efforts are conducted by political consultants who also specialize in opposition research. Beneficiaries are not "grass root" campaigners but distant organizations that orchestrate such campaigns.
    And the statement:
    This practice is specifically prohibited by the code of ethics of the Public Relations Society of AmericaPublic Relations Institute of Australia (PRIA) and the Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR), the national associations for members of the public-relations and communication profession in the United States, Australia and the UK respectively.

As private organizations, the most significant punishment the PRSA, PRIA and CIPR can hand out to members who engage in astroturfing is revocation of association membership. Although the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) does not specifically mention astroturfing, it does require honest communication.
    "Honest communication." Are you listening, Disney PR and your DigiSynd shills?

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• back in Austin

I think it would be really sweet to learn someday that an idea that I (or some other MiceChatter) had posted actually made its way into the magic kingdom. Amidst all the unrealistic armchair imagineering ideas that get posted here, there are some that are truly inspired, fun and practical.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RenMan View Post
    I think it would be really sweet to learn someday that an idea that I (or some other MiceChatter) had posted actually made its way into the magic kingdom. Amidst all the unrealistic armchair imagineering ideas that get posted here, there are some that are truly inspired, fun and practical.
    The reality is that any armchair imagineering idea posted here, or anywhere else on the internet, is guaranteed not to be built. And that's nothing against Disney -- virtually all companies that deal in intellectual properties have strict policies against their employees reading or listening to any unsolicited ideas from the public.

- Neil Gabler

• I'm not really here

^^Exactly. This will be where they gauge opinion on projects under way or already built, or planned. Coming on here is either to observe reaction, or for a laugh when we get into epic battles over things we don't understand fully.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Talking Re: Do you think any BIG names come on to the boards?

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    ^^Exactly. This will be where they gauge opinion on projects under way or already built, or planned. Coming on here is either to observe reaction, or for a laugh when we get into epic battles over things we don't understand fully.
    Such as the $3.50 price tag for a churro?

• LOL!!!!!!! (MC teen joke)

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    THAT is too general a statement. He has had some good projects, and recently did a great job with Lincoln. BUT, don't forget, Tomorrowland '98. Sure he wasn't totally responsible for that, BUT . . . .
    That is his only failure that I can think of. Every thing else (of what comes to my mind right now) seems to have been a pretty good.
    The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
    fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
    JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

• Seeker of Fun

Regarding the topic:

I would like to stay in the Dream Suite. Thank you.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Silly Bird?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The reality is that any armchair imagineering idea posted here, or anywhere else on the internet, is guaranteed not to be built. And that's nothing against Disney -- virtually all companies that deal in intellectual properties have strict policies against their employees reading or listening to any unsolicited ideas from the public.

Well, don't be too sure. Even strict guidelines about unsolicited materials can be skirted with careful "suggesting" on the part of virgin participants, similar to the coding of the IBM compatible processors way back in the early days of the personal computer.

And if the reader were a BIG name executive, or perhaps more likely a member of that person's family, then there is good chance such restrictions against obtaining unsolicited ideas (only the profitable ones, of course) would be untied by legal wrangling.

Remember, profitable. It has to be profitable...
    "You know it's a funny thing, but when I drink too many Gin and Tonics I start to glow in the dark."
    A. Trebek, Jeopardy, aired 7/15/2010

SHAMELESS PLUG- Check out my gallery of original ride music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLbC...layer_embedded

• Senior Minion

^ I understand what you're saying, but the fact is that in this business it's taboo on many levels -- traditional, social and cultural as well as legal. Ideas discussed among exec-level players is exempt, depending on their relationship; it's part of business. But listening, viewing, reading or in any way, shape or form touching unsolicited ideas not submitted by an agent -- including and especially those from the public and from fans -- is a major no-no, the mark of a tyro, and in most IP companies (at least those with a legal department) a fireable offense.

(Sorry for pulling the thread off-topic here -- there are previous threads that explored this subject in depth.)

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-12-2010 at 11:50 AM.

- Neil Gabler

• "The Musical Quil"

"don't you know who I am?"
    DJ JARVICIOUS
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Electro | Hip-Hop | Top 40 | Funky
    www.Facebook.com/DJJarvicious
    www.SoundCloud.com/DJJarvicious
    Instagram / Twitter: @DJJARVICIOUS

• Larger Than (After)Life

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie89 View Post
    I was just wondering, do you guys think any big names come onto this board and actually read what we have too say? For example like Tony Baxter?
    Hey, I'm here, aren't I?

• Lightspeed to Endor!

Why do you think the "L" in Play appeared back in the Small World postcard so quickly after posting???

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    ^ I understand what you're saying, but the fact is that in this business it's taboo on many levels -- traditional, social and cultural as well as legal. Ideas discussed among exec-level players is exempt, depending on their relationship; it's part of business. But listening, viewing, reading or in any way, shape or form touching unsolicited ideas not submitted by an agent -- including and especially those from the public and from fans -- is a major no-no, the mark of a tyro, and in most IP companies (at least those with a legal department) a fireable offense.

(Sorry for pulling the thread off-topic here -- there are previous threads that explored this subject in depth.)
    The reality, as you often point out, is that they have little to no interest in original ideas right now anyway. It's not like someone saying online that they should build an Incredibles ride is going to prevent them from building one. There are Imagineers with awesome ideas that they've been trying to get built for years. There's really no need for more ideas.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345