Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Animation Domination

Re: What will Happen if the "Big One" Hits disneyland?

The worst place to be is underground rides like Space, Splash, HM or POTC.
    "You are watching FOX"

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

If it hits and I'm at the DLR I hope I'm in DCA instead.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    If a earth quake happened Most of these ride might have a metal cage around built on the sides of earth So it should be ok i guess lol
    Here come's the bride.
    As long as we live.
    Till death do us part.
    You may kiss the bride.

I hope im on Mickeys fun wheel when the big one hits

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    Spoiler alert: those aren't "underground" for the most part.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Random Cupcake Thief

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
    P.S. Dont let this stop you from going to disneyland. If this were to happen the west coast would be in the same pickle.
    Nothing could stop me from DL! Well...I wouldn't say nothing. I mean, a meteor could come crashing into earth and blow us all up but still, what are the chances of that really happening?

It's all about the stats. True, we have a lot of earthquakes in California but so far there have been more harmless earthquakes than catastrophic ones. You have better chances of winning the lotto than getting caught up in a catastrophe.
    I suffer from infantile thoughts of grandiosity

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by ttztotdca50 View Post
    I like the small earthquakes... that usually means that those small tremors could be relieving stress off of the large faults, thus reducing the chance of a major earthquake.
    Minor quakes relieve stress on a small portion of a fault, but actually increase stress on other parts. So small quakes and put more strain on other faults or more critical sections of the same fault. It's a crazy dynamic system with many variables... which is why it's difficult to predict them. An earthquake on one fault alters the stresses in unpredictable ways on ALL the surrounding faults. So they can say that ___ fault segment hasn't had an earthquake in 50 years... it usually goes ever 40, we're overdue for one statistically. But they can't predict the strength of the material holding the fault back, nor how much stress has built up on the fault segment.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• ..but you can call me Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
    ...300 years overdo? (correct me if i'm wrong)
    OK, I'll correct you......it's "overdue"

• ~*~Just a dream away~*~

Im sure there are building codes that need to be met for most...if not all of the structures at Disneyland and everywhere else that earthquakes are common... disneyland...If alice in wonderland is shut down for such a stupid issue , im sure the buildings must be structurally sound considering the amount of quakes that really do occur
    ✶Dreams do come true!!!✶

Think of the Happiest things ... its the same as having wings

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Quote Originally Posted by NOCC View Post
    I prefer not to think about it too much, but when I'm walking under some of those large, old buildings, like POTC, HM, and the Old Admin building-- all built in the 60's--I can't help but wonder how sound they are.
    PotC and HM are really only two stories tall. Also, in the case of PotC, most of the second floor is empty, allowing for the illusion of an open, nighttime sky.

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    I can honestly day that if the "big one" hits, last thing I'm worried about is if Disneyland holds up OK.
    I think it would be one of the first things you would be worried about if you were there at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by plagued View Post
    if an earthquake that large hits, i'm pretty sure most of the destruction and lost lives wont be due to the shaking and falling buildings.. but from the resulting fires that will spring up directly after.
    Possibly. However, I can also see there being a lot of injury and death from people (primarily children) getting trampling by crowds, especially if a major earthquake hit DLR on a busy day.

Quote Originally Posted by 006TOE View Post
    I hope im on Mickeys fun wheel when the big one hits
    OMG! Just the idea is enough to give me nightmares! That would likely make the swinging gondolas a much more 'thrilling' experience. Please excuse me while I go try not to be sick...

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelluh View Post
    You have better chances of winning the lotto than getting caught up in a catastrophe.
    No offense intended, but unless you mean winning $2 via the lotto, I think this statement is really off-base. Firstly, how do you define getting caught up in? Secondly, southern California will definitely get hit with another very significant earthquake, eventually. At that point, I can guarantee that you'll see a lot more people 'caught up in' the resulting damage, then have ever won a significant amount of money via the lottery. Lastly, that doesn't even take into account other catastrophes common to this area, such as wild fires and floods. Heck! I live in So. Cal. and, years ago, a legitimate tornado (cat. 1) passed right over my car. Does that qualify all of us that were in the car as likely to win the lottery? God I hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Minor quakes relieve stress on a small portion of a fault, but actually increase stress on other parts. So small quakes and put more strain on other faults or more critical sections of the same fault. It's a crazy dynamic system with many variables... which is why it's difficult to predict them. An earthquake on one fault alters the stresses in unpredictable ways on ALL the surrounding faults...
    This is why I'm really concerned about the huge number of small to moderate earthquakes that have hit the same fault and other interrelated fault lines, in So. Cal. and Northern Baja, in the last year. It makes me think of a bottle of champaign that is getting shaken and shaken; I just don't want to see the cork pop out of that bottle.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• Random Cupcake Thief

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post

No offense intended, but unless you mean winning $2 via the lotto, I think this statement is really off-base. Firstly, how do you define getting caught up in? Secondly, southern California will definitely get hit with another very significant earthquake, eventually. At that point, I can guarantee that you'll see a lot more people 'caught up in' the resulting damage, then have ever won a significant amount of money via the lottery. Lastly, that doesn't even take into account other catastrophes common to this area, such as wild fires and floods. Heck! I live in So. Cal. and, years ago, a legitimate tornado (cat. 1) passed right over my car. Does that qualify all of us that were in the car as likely to win the lottery? God I hope so!
    Simmer down now.
    I suffer from infantile thoughts of grandiosity

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDreams714 View Post
    Im sure there are building codes that need to be met for most...if not all of the structures at Disneyland and everywhere else that earthquakes are common... disneyland...If alice in wonderland is shut down for such a stupid issue , im sure the buildings must be structurally sound considering the amount of quakes that really do occur
    DCA's structures pose no problems. Disneyland is an entirely different story. Some buildings are ok. Others do need some retrofitting. Take IASW as an example. What really needs to be done is for the roof to be torn off and support columns to be added to the inside. As it is now you basically have four walls supporting the roof. It could be strengthened though.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    PotC and HM are really only two stories tall. Also, in the case of PotC, most of the second floor is empty, allowing for the illusion of an open, nighttime sky.
    I'm talking about all the corridors, access ways, stairways, and all these other elements that wrap around and intertwine with each other. I'm concerned about any of those movin' around.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

ASYLIM is 100% correct. BE PREPARED! Do not expect a fairy godmother to come and rescue you because the chances are real good that you are going to be on your own for at least 72 hours after "the big one" hits.

Water, food, MONEY! Have a grab-n-go bag in your car. Keep supplies in your house. Look in the front page of your phone book because there is tons of info there. Keep at least 1/4 of a tank of gas in your car - always. Plastic bags for your toilet. (Think about it.)

I lived through Sylmar, Northridge, Whittier and 1,000 small quakes. There is no peace of mind like being prepared.

BTW: Team Kate

Keep in mind that "soon" in geological time is about 1000 years.

It takes 3 days for emergency help, so have 3 days worth of stuff at home. If I were at Disneyland, I would go to the TS Island and try and catch some ducks to eat, or maybe just buy some from the food court.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast