Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: If "A Bug's Land" was demolished, all of it, what would you like to see there?

Very nice very nice indeed, now what kind of rides would anchor chinatown and barbary? And a map please! This idea is fantasric
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• Senior Minion

Re: If "A Bug's Land" was demolished, all of it, what would you like to see there?

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    Very nice very nice indeed, now what kind of rides would anchor chinatown and barbary? And a map please! This idea is fantasric
    Thanks, I'll work on a map. I have a few ideas for attractions, but I don't know everything I would want to include for certain. I'd like to fit a history themed boat ride of some kind in the Barbary Coast area as well as a cool gambling hall/dinner show place and maybe some other small attractions. For Chinatown, a fine dining Chinese restaurant, some cool small shops, and a Mulan m&g. But the main draw would be an idea I had to include two intertwining attractions in one huge building. One would be kind of a next generation Mr. Toad-like dark ride that would race through Chinatown and experience all kinds of adventures. The other would be a suspened coaster themed to a magical Chinese dragon costume that would sail over this indoor Chinatown and end in an exploding fireworks factory.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana_James View Post
    Chinatown.
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Spanish revival pueblo with Mission, marketplace, hacienda delaVega restaurant, Zorro's black whip coaster and Three Caballeros dark boat ride (from WDW).
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I'd like some kind of San Francisco representation. Like a Chinatown area and part a Barbary Coast area.
    Quote Originally Posted by TikiGhost View Post
    An expansion of the Hollywood section
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Native California!
    ALL good ideas!

This is an exciting discussion, and I agree that once Mermaid and the Carsland B-tickets open, there won't be much need for Bug's Land.

So here's my view:

First, I think Chinatown NEEDS to come to DCA. The park needs the exotic atmosphere, an area themed to Sanfran, and the acknowledgment of minority Californians that Chinatown would provide. All that said, I feel that would work best on the site of Pacific Wharf, which would allow Chinatown both a waterfront location and a physical proximity to the Sanfran-themed street by TLM.

Early concepts existed for a Chinatown in Disneyland, to be located off Main Street, and there were many good ideas there that were proposed and never built. One included a ride called the "Laud Bhang Fireworks Factory" or something of the sort. If Mullholland Madness/GSS is ever dismantled, then this attraction could be reworked to be a family-friendly mousecar coaster type dark ride in Chinatown. The vehicles could be fixed with interactive "sparklers" like the guns in Midway Mania or the flashlights in Tokyo's Monster's Inc Ride. The sparklers could point at different types of fireworks and firecrackers (projected), and as you whizzed by them in your coaster car, the fireworks you pointed at would launch, crackle and explode noisely. This attraction would probably be a real hit with kids, lots of color, noise, visual effects, etc. Add a fine-dining Chinese restaurant, a cheaper QSR stir-fry place (like the one in Pacific Wharf now), some shopping, and maybe a Mulan meet-and-greet, you'd have a vibrant new land in DCA.

With Chinatown replacing Pacific Wharf, that leaves Bug's Land open for replacement. As MerlinJones pointed out, the location between Hollywoodland, Buena Vista Street, and the desert (Carsland) creates the perfect opportunity for a Mission-themed mini-land in the style of New Orleans Square or Critter Country. The Epcot-style Three Caballeros dark ride is a really good one, as it adds another boat ride to DCA, which it needs, and introduces popular characters in a tasteful way. The attraction could be reworked to feature Californian- instead of Mexican-themed landmarks. I'm not sure how much room there is for multiple attractions here, but the opportunity to feature Zorro in a "Mission Square" is too good to pass. Maybe a swashbuckling Zorro-themed dark ride in the style of Pirates would be possible here. If not, he could be featured in a sort of staged stunt show, or even just a meet and greet. Or better yet, appearing in meet and greets, but occasionally dueling guys on the rooftops of the buildings, the way Indiana Jones did in Adventureland a few years ago. Then relocate the Mexican QS restaurant from Pacific Wharf to here and you're golden.

Uncle Bob said there's not sufficient room for a major land on the site of Pacific Wharf, and if that's true, then I guess I would rather see Chinatown on the site of Bug's Land than nowhere at all. But if there were sufficient room, or if the parade building could be relocated or something, then I'd definitely like to see the two lands side-by-side.

And the usual apology for a long post...
    Last edited by MarkTwain; 08-13-2010 at 11:43 PM.

Expansion of the restrooms, fanciest in the whole world

• Senior Minion

I agree with just about everything you said MarkTwain. I would be happy with what you suggest. I just feel like there's more space to work with if you use the remaining parking lot. If they put Chinatown in Pacific Wharf we'd both lose a nicely themed area and it's really limited on expansion space. Since I think the Chinatown concept has a lot of potential I'd like to see it given sufficient space. I'd defintely move the Chinese restaurant and the tortilla place and use that space for an attraction, so PW could have at least one big draw. But there's not much more space to work with. This is also why I suggest a tunnel under Route 66 which would connect PW to the Chinatown area. It would make both areas feel larger and connected.

• ironically Otaku

in a T.A.R.D.I.S. traveling time and space and skipping all the boring parts, now with braces.

MarkTwain, you have some of the best ideas! i do think a Zorro stunt show might very well be the best idea i have heard! for 2 reasons
    1. i rember seeing stunt shows in mgm! they are some of the best attractions a park can have and disney land needs one soooooo much!!!!
    2. Zorro is one great character! and i would love to see him again!
    So. Zetta. SLOW!

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Uncle Bob...I think your ideas are so great and by far some of the best I've seen for this area and DCA as a whole. I was wondering though, someone mentioned native california and I was wondering if you would maybe incorporate some type of nature attraction in your El Camino Real land maybe relating our states famous, iconic oak dotted hills and chapparal that could maybe even pay homage to the former A Bug's Land(not the characters per say but bugs in general). Idk I have an idea but am not good at hashing it out.

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

i think they should demolish a bug's land, then put a solid gold statue of me, so people can take pictures of themselves standing next to me

(it's a joke, i actually like the chinatown idea)
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    ALL good ideas!

This is an exciting discussion, and I agree that once Mermaid and the Carsland B-tickets open, there won't be much need for Bug's Land.

So here's my view:

First, I think Chinatown NEEDS to come to DCA. The park needs the exotic atmosphere, an area themed to Sanfran, and the acknowledgment of minority Californians that Chinatown would provide. All that said, I feel that would work best on the site of Pacific Wharf, which would allow Chinatown both a waterfront location and a physical proximity to the Sanfran-themed street by TLM.

I'm gonna have to disagree here, DCA doesn't really have the space for a seperate Chinatown land as well as a Mission one but I could see it supporting an all encompassing Camino Real land that could span both of them with some thematic sense

Early concepts existed for a Chinatown in Disneyland, to be located off Main Street, and there were many good ideas there that were proposed and never built. One included a ride called the "Laud Bhang Fireworks Factory" or something of the sort. If Mullholland Madness/GSS is ever dismantled, then this attraction could be reworked to be a family-friendly mousecar coaster type dark ride in Chinatown. The vehicles could be fixed with interactive "sparklers" like the guns in Midway Mania or the flashlights in Tokyo's Monster's Inc Ride. The sparklers could point at different types of fireworks and firecrackers (projected), and as you whizzed by them in your coaster car, the fireworks you pointed at would launch, crackle and explode noisely. This attraction would probably be a real hit with kids, lots of color, noise, visual effects, etc. Add a fine-dining Chinese restaurant, a cheaper QSR stir-fry place (like the one in Pacific Wharf now), some shopping, and maybe a Mulan meet-and-greet, you'd have a vibrant new land in DCA.

The firework factory has never really appealed to me, it's always seemed like a lame excuse for a ride especially with interactivity I think that concept should just be dropped

With Chinatown replacing Pacific Wharf, that leaves Bug's Land open for replacement. As MerlinJones pointed out, the location between Hollywoodland, Buena Vista Street, and the desert (Carsland) creates the perfect opportunity for a Mission-themed mini-land in the style of New Orleans Square or Critter Country. The Epcot-style Three Caballeros dark ride is a really good one, as it adds another boat ride to DCA, which it needs, and introduces popular characters in a tasteful way. The attraction could be reworked to feature Californian- instead of Mexican-themed landmarks.

For the love of god no! Have you been on that ride from Epcot? I have once and only once for good reason. That ride is really terribly boring and adding Californian landmarks would be another blunder as that is what helped bring DCA down in the first place as guests can simply visit the real landmarks. I agree about the boar ride though.

I'm not sure how much room there is for multiple attractions here, but the opportunity to feature Zorro in a "Mission Square" is too good to pass. Maybe a swashbuckling Zorro-themed dark ride in the style of Pirates would be possible here. If not, he could be featured in a sort of staged stunt show, or even just a meet and greet. Or better yet, appearing in meet and greets, but occasionally dueling guys on the rooftops of the buildings, the way Indiana Jones did in Adventureland a few years ago. Then relocate the Mexican QS restaurant from Pacific Wharf to here and you're golden.

I like

Uncle Bob said there's not sufficient room for a major land on the site of Pacific Wharf, and if that's true, then I guess I would rather see Chinatown on the site of Bug's Land than nowhere at all. But if there were sufficient room, or if the parade building could be relocated or something, then I'd definitely like to see the two lands side-by-side.

And the usual apology for a long post...
    I'd rather see a Mission land than a Chinatown one. Missions and the Hispanic culture have a much more significant influence on the state of CA than the East represented by a Chinatown.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

• All-American

Another interesting question is, if Bug's Land were to be replaced by a new land, would ITTBAB be kept? It's arguably the most successful and popular of the existing land, but it's theme makes it tough to put just anywhere. It might be able to be shoe-horned into a Mission themed land, if perhaps you put it in a run-down building surrounded by gardens, trellis covered in vines, etc. I don't think there's any way it could successfully fit into a Chinatown.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    I'd rather see a Mission land than a Chinatown one. Missions and the Hispanic culture have a much more significant influence on the state of CA than the East represented by a Chinatown.
    That's probably true, but you have to remember that BVS is going to already have mostly Spanish revival architecture, so that history will not be completely ignored.

Good point and regarding ittbab I think it should go.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

• ironically Otaku

in a T.A.R.D.I.S. traveling time and space and skipping all the boring parts, now with braces.

i don't see much of a point for china town.... as there's not much to go on attraction wise. you could make a good mulan dark ride, but i don't see that fitting all to well, and after that you have no more to work with. so i say a Spanish mission would be a good chose! now with that being said, heres my idea, a small expatiation of hollywoodland, that would then lead in to the Spanish mission area, this transtion could be done like your entering the set of a Zorro movie.
    So. Zetta. SLOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I'd like some kind of San Francisco representation. Like a Chinatown area and part a Barbary Coast area.
    I would love to see something like this.

its too bad that Mater junkyard will be built where part of tthe bountiful valley is. Bugsland,FFF and bountiful valley would have been a nice piece of land that could have connected with the wharf area and vineyard nicely as a San Francisco area.

Mater should have really been built with the main potion of Carsland. I still think that the main Icon being built in the middle of the RSR west turn should have been designed to be hollow with a large showroom inside. that showroom could have been used for an inside version of Maters. Imagine the lighting that they could have used. The environment could have changed from day to night and it would have been fantastic

Sounds like mermaid lagoon much too nice for dca
    Armchair Imagineering!:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast