• back in Austin

Couple of questions about the subs...

As a somewhat-claustrophobic person who would like to ride the subs but may not ever be able to, here are several questions I have about them:

• Are the last people into the sub the first ones out of it? Part of what would be hard for me would be sitting in there waiting for other guests to embark/disembark.
    • Which people get seated nearest the hatch where you enter/exit? First ones in? Last ones? Middle/mixture?
    • Are there ever delays in returning to the dock, like e-stops? If there are times where the sub sits there parked for 5 or 10 or 15 minutes I think I'd freak out.

I already posted these in another thread, but that one has pretty much run its course, so I'm reposting them here.

• =)

Re: Couple of questions about the subs...

I'm trying to remember - I'm pretty sure that the last ones in are indeed the first out, but you should get confirmation on that from someone else. If I remember correctly, it's the last ones in who are closest to the hatch and thus the first ones to exit. I've never experienced any delays on the attraction, but I haven't been on it very many times, and of course there are never any guarantees in a theme park. The vast majority of the time, things go smoothly, but delays are always possible.

That being said...a few things to keep in mind. First of all, the ventilation in the subs is really quite good. The air isn't stale or still, which really helps. It's also not that small a space...you're not crammed in like sardines, hunkered over in a tiny space. Thirdly, the submarine is never fully submersed. The top hatch is always above water level. Psychologically, this may be somewhat comforting to you, and on a more practical level, if you really desperately needed it, a cast member could probably let you get a breath of fresh air up there. Again, no guarantees, though.

For what it's worth, I find that the best way to conquer a moderate phobia is to do the one thing your mind and body are telling you not to do: embrace the thing you fear. Embrace the fear itself and all the feelings and symptoms it brings. If you have some sort of other medical condition, or if you're afraid of something sensible like jumping off a 20-story building, that's different...but for most people, embracing the thing they fear is "only" unpleasant - not dangerous. And it plays a weird trick on your brain. When you willingly submit yourself to the think you want to avoid, when you actually encourage the anxiety to develop, it tends to sort of...shrivel away. Especially if you do it over and over again. It may be extremely unpleasant at first, but it gets better and better over time, whereas avoiding it actually makes the fear worse. Anyway, just some food for thought from someone who's conquered one or two fears, including in the theme park domain!

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by RenMan View Post

• Are the last people into the sub the first ones out of it? Part of what would be hard for me would be sitting in there waiting for other guests to embark/disembark.
    • Which people get seated nearest the hatch where you enter/exit? First ones in? Last ones? Middle/mixture?
    • Are there ever delays in returning to the dock, like e-stops? If there are times where the sub sits there parked for 5 or 10 or 15 minutes I think I'd freak out.

Yes, the first person in is the last person out of the sub.

The last person in get the seat near the hatch/stairs

There are delays returning to dock when the sub in front of you are too slow in loading people. The worst I have ever seen is a 5 minute wait. Short of a break down I have never heard of a 15 minute wait.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Yes, Data is correct. The last ones in are the first ones off. We have a handicapped member with us and because of that, we are always the last ones to enter the sub, and we are right by the stairs to exit when we get back to dock.

There is a lot of watch through the portholes - and if you are feeling a little tight - just look straight up through the water and you can see the top of the shallow lagoon. Not sure if that will help you, but it shows you are not far from the surface.

I have never experienced over a two minute delay in coming back in. It is quite an enjoyable ride and there is music playing when there is no talking.

Hope this helps! There is also a viewing station (can't remember what exactly it is called) off to the far side of the loading area that has the same views, except you are in a large room watching a screen.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Seeker of Fun

Have you tried any breathing techniques, etc?
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Johnny and Me!

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    Hope this helps! There is also a viewing station (can't remember what exactly it is called) off to the far side of the loading area that has the same views, except you are in a large room watching a screen.
    The viewing station (called Marine Observation Outpost) is actually an enjoyable experience. Some guests even prefer it!

• back in Austin

Thanks for all the great feedback, you guys!! I really appreciate it.

My deal with claustrophobia, I find, is linked to other stress in my life. I've always had a bit of it, but when the "background noise" is higher, as it was for example the year I was living in New York, those issues got worse. I especially appreciate DataMeister's advice. It's a totally irrational thing, but so are panic attacks, and before two years ago, I had never had one of those in my life and it was very, very unpleasant. Again, related to the overall stress level so I'm not in danger of that now.

• ~*~Just a dream away~*~

they make me pretty claustrophobic ... not a big fan... I do have panic attacks so i feel your pain, and this ride is a pretty long one... if you do panic your stuck
    ✶Dreams do come true!!!✶

Think of the Happiest things ... its the same as having wings

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by RenMan View Post
    My deal with claustrophobia, I find, is linked to other stress in my life. I've always had a bit of it, but when the "background noise" is higher, as it was for example the year I was living in New York, those issues got worse. I especially appreciate DataMeister's advice. It's a totally irrational thing, but so are panic attacks, and before two years ago, I had never had one of those in my life and it was very, very unpleasant. Again, related to the overall stress level so I'm not in danger of that now.
    Very interesting...yeah, good to know what your "triggers" are. Irrational is definitely a good word for it, which makes it all the more frustrating when you know that but it continues to be a problem, right? I guess it's entirely appropriate, then, that the approach I suggested seems completely irrational itself, haha.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    The viewing station (called Marine Observation Outpost) is actually an enjoyable experience. Some guests even prefer it!
    If your claustrophobic, I'd suggest this. We talked a friend into going and she freaked out. She freaked when the windows were blocked by a wall. And when your waiting to get off the ride, that's what you see for those last minutes (and a few sections in the ride).
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz