Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

You Can Always Tell A Sunday Crowd!

Some fellow CM's and I were joking today (Sunday) while staring at the security cameras in Pirates. It was a stereotypical Sunday crowd, made up primarily of AP's who had many, many demands regarding row requests, private boats, food and beverage policy rebuttals, flash picture wars, etc., etc.

But then we were watching the boats float through the lower level, and boat after boat, row after row, had people staring at.... their cell phones and iPods! The screens of phones and iPods and iPhones light up very brightly in the cameras, and there were all these people all afternoon, boat after boat, just tapping away at their phones and staring down at these glowing screens cradled in their hands. I even saw a middle aged man tapping at his full-on iPad out in front of Pirates this afternoon. Meanwhile, one of the finest works of Imagineering created as Walt's final project before his death was passing by them alongside their boats, just beyond their cell phones.

And we were just wondering... Why would you come to Disneyland to wander around playing with your phone on all the rides? If Pirates of the flippin' Caribbean is so boring to you, so played out, so predictable, so uninteresting, that you need to check your texts or update your tweets or play farmville, then maybe it's time to find another hangout?

Only a Sunday crowd made up primarily of AP's who can't think of anything better to do would ride fabulous E Ticket attractions and sit there and stare at their phones and text! Really funny, and yet a little sad at the same time.

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: You Can Always Tell A Sunday Crowd!

Same debate is going on in the ipod thread.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    And we were just wondering... Why would you come to Disneyland to wander around playing with your phone on all the rides? If Pirates of the flippin' Caribbean is so boring to you, so played out, so predictable, so uninteresting, that you need to check your texts or update your tweets or play farmville, then maybe it's time to find another hangout?

Only a Sunday crowd made up primarily of AP's who can't think of anything better to do would ride fabulous E Ticket attractions and sit there and stare at their phones and text!
    APers or day tourists, the bonehead behavior you're describing is everywhere, and increasing yearly.

The fact that it's Disneyland, much less a classic attraction like Pirates, is no more relevant to the cell-phone-and-iPod crowd than their fellow guests who their behavior is distracting. The place these people are when they're texting and talking doesn't matter to them. The people around them who are impacted by their behavior, matter even less.

At Disneyland or the local mall, in POTC boats or in their cars on the freeway, these are the self-absorbed Citizens of the Age of Entitlement.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Really funny, and yet a little sad at the same time.
    To me it isn't funny and sad at the same time.

It's just sad.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Circle of Ancients

I agree with you 1,000,000%

• Fantasmic! Fanatic

Its amazing! I'm a senior in HS so I took two friends last time I went, the same thing happened. Even on Space Mtn, one was texting?! All through Fantasmic neither of them could put down their phone for more than half a minute. Needless to say I won't ever bring them again, I think I'm going to require friends to leave their phone in the car if they want to come with me. I just don't understand how one feels so, I want to say required to text back friends and surf the web.

Personally I am a non user of the cell phone or iPod the entire day at the DLR. If only Disney could install some kind of cell blocker except for calls to other phone in the DLR.

• Future theatre actress <3

Where the crypt doors creak and the tombstones quake

This is really sad, I've probably seen this a few time but I can't recall any sightings right now. It's also as bad as taking a flash picture on the ride. Honestly it does annoy me that APs come into the park just to use their phones, ipod ect. Which also crowds the park and makes the experience less enjoyable for paying guests who can only come so often while the AP pretty much has the ability to come whenever (minus blackout)
    So after 2 full days in a row of walking around disneyland and a four hour practice, I finally understand why my doctor told me to take it easy on my knee I still cant wait to do it again

AEROSMITH FTWW!

• Minion

ORDDU: And to think that these same ducklings who are so addicted to their ipods and ipads are doing the same thing while driving to the Disney theme parks, too! No wonder there are so many more dangerours drivers out there on your freeways.

• Disneymom

yousee this all over. Once when my hubby and I were out at a restraunt there was another couple at their table and the both talked on their cell phones the whole time. I kept thinking, why did you go out together and ignore one another? When we went the DL and my kids kept txt I took thier phones. THey were there to enjoy Disneyland and be with family. Sometimes to much technology is a bad thing.

• Rock Star Minion

I've heard that POTC synch's up pretty well with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. But only if you're stoned.

I think guests would pay much more attention to the attractions if they paid the going market rate for a day's worth of enjoyment at the park. (Or, just not go, and leave the enjoyment to those who would pay the going market rate.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Still lost in Neverland

We are witnessing the beginning of the end of human contact and socialization. Sort of like making those couch-bound passengers in Wall-E. This is how it starts. Sometimes I wonder how we survived as a race before the invention of the Cell Phone and all it's spin-offs. I use a cheap cell phone only at Disneyland when I am meeting up with someone or to stay in touch if we separate. No camera, no texting. Only a call or two to keep in touch. It's just so sad.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• DMTNT

This isn't something you can blame on APers. You see this everywhere. At the movies, sporting events, theme parks. People just can't go out and enjoy themselves without their phone or iPad.

• no flash photography...

POTC is a boring ride. I go on it to rest in air conditioning for 15+ minutes. However, I don't usually have my cell phone out while on the ride. I often sleep on the ride though.

I no longer have an AP though...for many reasons.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I've heard that POTC synch's up pretty well with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. But only if you're stoned.
    I think guests would pay much more attention to the attractions if they paid the going market rate for a day's worth of enjoyment at the park. (Or, just not go, and leave the enjoyment to those who would pay the going market rate.)
    Yep......well put!
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• I'm Wishing...

It's just the generation. A lot of kids in my class come to Disneyland just for the thrill rides, and so when they're 'dragged' onto Pirates, it's a little more fun for them to text and stuff while they ride rather than enjoying the atmosphere people like us come to Disneyland for. It is odd, though, that you say it was mainly APers! I guess sometimes people just come so often the rides feel a little like part of their regular routine. It is odd, though, isn't it?
    All it takes is a dream and a wish!

• Cleared for the option

I used the camera in my phone to send a picture of me having a drink in Club 33 to my brother in-law.

Is that acceptable?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast