Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: OSHA Concerns over the Matterhorn?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    Then I'm not sure what OSHA's concern over Alice was as the bars are adequate restraints. I hardly think that Matterhorn vs. Autopia is a valid comparison...
    But when it comes to Alice it was about a lack of a safety railing......it's not like there was a railing but it could be removed easily by a stupid guest.

I think the Autopia comparison is actually quite valid......both use manual seat belts that if removed by the rider it could make it easier for the rider to be thrown from the vehicle.........

Nevertheless, I actually feel safer about a small child riding the Matterhorn, with the seatbelts than I do about them riding Big Thunder with the lap bar......ever see a large adult sit next to a small child on that ride....the child is pretty much riding restraint-less
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
    I'm guessing the new bobsleds will debut next year.

The major hint that they will be putting them in is when the Matterhorn goes down for a long refurb to remove the current ones and install the new bobsleds.

Thats my guess though.
    They can take every bobsled off in a few days.

• Banned User

Considering the one Matterhorn fatality was a direct result of someone unbuckling and being thrown on the relatively mild drop on the Fantasyland track, I can see the merit to it. I'm looking forward to the new cars myself. I could never get comfortable in the current ones. Either I feel too crammed in with someone, or I feel like I'm flying all around the car and banging my knee of elbow when I ride alone.

• 秘密のヘルツ

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    Considering the one Matterhorn fatality was a direct result of someone unbuckling and being thrown on the relatively mild drop on the Fantasyland track, I can see the merit to it. I'm looking forward to the new cars myself. I could never get comfortable in the current ones. Either I feel too crammed in with someone, or I feel like I'm flying all around the car and banging my knee of elbow when I ride alone.
    Man, I hear you there. As I always say, I'm not the smallest girl, but when I ride alone on Matterhorn I always get bruises later because I get shaken around so much. And yet if I try to ride with someone, unless they're very tiny, we have to be completely wedged in to the point our legs start falling asleep.

Slightly off-topic, but I went on Gadget's Go-Coaster only once, with a similarly sized friend. I think our hip bones were fused together at the end of the ride, literally, our BONES were too fat to fit comfortably on that thing. Haha.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    Considering the one Matterhorn fatality was a direct result of someone unbuckling and being thrown on the relatively mild drop on the Fantasyland track, I can see the merit to it.
    There were two deaths on the Matterhorn. In 1964, a 15-year old was killed when he unbuckled his belt and tried to stand up, lost his balance and was thrown from the sled. He died of his injuries three days later. In 1984, a 48-year-old woman was thrown from her seat into the path of another bobsled. An examination revealed that her seatbelt was not fastened at the time of the accident, but because she was riding alone in the rear of her sled no one could determine whether or not she had deliberately unfastened her belt.

Source: snopes.com.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Disney friends are #1

Thanks Mr. Wiggins, I was wondering about that.

I'm thinking that lap bars on the Matterhorn could be a bit painful. The curves and drops are rather intense and the drops alone would momentarily slam you up into a lap bar, especially for someone in the back seat. The form fitting seat belts are much more comfortable, and less intrusive on a ride like the Matterhorn. I'm against lapbars for the Matterhorn but they are perfectly sensible for rides with a less congested footprint, like Screamin'.

• Not a Crook

It's never possible to completely protect people from themselves, so it usually comes down to what is enough to protect people if they're following all normal procedures. Seat belts are probably adequate with this ride, and while someone could conceivably open it and stand up, that's their own failure at breaking the rules. Even with lap bars, many smaller guests can snake their way out of them.

For comparison's sake, there's a steel portable coaster at Indiana Beach that's comparable to what you experience on the Matterhorn, in terms of intensity. Up until a couple years ago, the ride had no restraints of any kind, no seat belts, lap bar, anything. The ride didn't have a high incident rate because as long as you didn't stand up, you were perfectly safe. Unfortunately, new owners of the park meant new standards, so it and many other rides received new safety guidelines that sometimes border on the excessive.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• Planning my next trip...

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Yep, it's in the Enchanted Forest near Salem.....it's actually an awesome ride but they have to cover you in a bubble because it goes near so many trees and it was just easier to cover the cars in bubbles than try to trim back branches every other day.
    That's funny! I thought that ride looked familiar. I think I got whiplash and some serious bruises from it...Going to Enchanted Forest made me really appreciate Disneyland. The kids had a great time, but it kinda creeped me out

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Maybe everyone could just be fitted for a personal airbag, in case anything happens to go wrong at Disneyland:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlWbIPwoHRA]YouTube - ABS avalanche airbag system glissattitude[/ame]
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Romantic View Post
    Even with lap bars, many smaller guests can snake their way out of them.
    A fair number actually raise their legs or breath in to keep the lap bar from going all the way down so as to catch more air time on hills. This occurs on BTMRR especially. Seen it happen a number of times, or heard people talking about it in line/after.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    A fair number actually raise their legs or breath in to keep the lap bar from going all the way down so as to catch more air time on hills. This occurs on BTMRR especially. Seen it happen a number of times, or heard people talking about it in line/after.
    I am one of those. I HATE it when I get stapled into a ride, I like about an inch or two between my body and the bar. What is the fun of going on a coaster if every single movement involves a bar being jammed into my legs/stomach?

An inch or 2 is NOT going to allow me to go flying out of any ride vehicle to my impending doom, it is just a little wiggle space

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    An inch or 2 is NOT going to allow me to go flying out of any ride vehicle to my impending doom, it is just a little wiggle space
    Oh, I'm not talking about an inch or two... there are people he find ways to get 6" or more left in there. Not enough to get free, unless you've also got a little kid in there with you. I've seen that before as well. No, an inch or two is normal and makes the ride fun

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post

Thoughts?
    Shhhh (they might hear you). Let's not get every ride dummy proofed.
    At the rate somethings are going, we might be required to be wrapped up in bubble wrap just to walk out our door.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Not to be harsh, but any adult who purposely takes off the seatbelt for the thrill (or stupidity) of it, deserves the consequence they may suffer as a result.

• Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Oh, I'm not talking about an inch or two... there are people he find ways to get 6" or more left in there. Not enough to get free, unless you've also got a little kid in there with you. I've seen that before as well. No, an inch or two is normal and makes the ride fun
    If you want a lot of wiggle room on BTMRR, ride with someone fatter than you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast