Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Defying gravity

Red Face OSHA Concerns over the Matterhorn?

After waiting in line 40 minutes to ride Alice in Wonderland after it re-opened, I definitely agree that the safety railing/new steps have ruined that part of the ride. I am glad that it's only a temporary fix.

While I can see OSHA's concern over the ride, I feel like they have a bigger concern next door at the Matterhorn. The Matterhorn is the only Disney attraction (that I know of) to still use old-fashioned seat belts rather than the locking safety bar. A child...or adult for that matter...could easily unbuckle their belt and be thrown off the mountain at any point. Obviously this would be a very careless thing to do, but there are very careless people in this world. To put it in perspective, the safety bar on Snow White's Scary Adventures locks into place so that it is impossible to get out of the ride until the very end.

IMO, the Matterhorn is the jerkiest (most dangerous) ride at the DLR. I thought that the vehicles had already been updated during a recent refurb and am really surprised that safety conscious Disney has allowed the Matterhorn to operate in this fashion for so long. I also think that locking lap bars would make the ride more comfortable.

Thoughts?

Re: OSHA Concerns over the Matterhorn?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    I thought that the vehicles had already been updated during a recent refurb and am really surprised that safety conscious Disney has allowed the Matterhorn to operate in this fashion for so long. I also think that locking lap bars would make the ride more comfortable.
    There has been testing of ride vehicles with lap bars. I believe the issue is that lap bars raise the height requirement versus seat belts. The recent refub was just for maintenance I believe. I noticed some of the ride vehicles had fresh metal under supports.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

I actually have to agree with you on this. Whenever I go on the Matterhorn, wearing a seatbelt during the ride - especially during the dips and turns- doesn't feel safe anymore. I understand it is suppose to be jerky and such, but that is a big concern.

• I'm not really here

The feeling of safety and actual safety are two different things entirely. It may feel unsafe and yet it can still be completely and fully safe.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion

Like Raindown said, they're already aware of the situation and have been testing new bobsleds with lap bars (lap bars or Indy-like seatbelts? I can't remember) for several months now. When they'll actually debut is anybody's guess...

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    The feeling of safety and actual safety are two different things entirely. It may feel unsafe and yet it can still be completely and fully safe.
    I completely agree that there is a difference. The nature of "thrill" rides is to be a bit unsafe. I'm not questioning the safety of the restraints, but rather the safety of belts that guests can easily unbuckle vs. Indy belts which are locked in.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    Like Raindown said, they're already aware of the situation and have been testing new bobsleds with lap bars (lap bars or Indy-like seatbelts? I can't remember) for several months now. When they'll actually debut is anybody's guess...
    I'm guessing the new bobsleds will debut next year.

The major hint that they will be putting them in is when the Matterhorn goes down for a long refurb to remove the current ones and install the new bobsleds.

Thats my guess though.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    I completely agree that there is a difference. The nature of "thrill" rides is to be a bit unsafe. I'm not questioning the safety of the restraints, but rather the safety of belts that guests can easily unbuckle vs. Indy belts which are locked in.
    But that's not an OSHA concern......Disney is providing a perfectly adequate safety restraint and they have CM's check to see that everyone is wearing them before they send the sleds up the Mt.

If someone gets stupid, and un-buckles, most likely nothing will happen unless they get real stupid and try to stand up.

The autopia uses belts too....should that be changed as well?

Should Disney just put everyone inside a bubble?

Don't laugh, it could happen:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hze2IyBZ_gE&feature=related]YouTube - Ice Mountain Bobsleds[/ame]
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• I'm not really here

sleepyjeff, is that the one in Oregon?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

sleepyjeff, is that the one in Oregon?
    Yep, it's in the Enchanted Forest near Salem.....it's actually an awesome ride but they have to cover you in a bubble because it goes near so many trees and it was just easier to cover the cars in bubbles than try to trim back branches every other day.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    But that's not an OSHA concern......Disney is providing a perfectly adequate safety restraint and they have CM's check to see that everyone is wearing them before they send the sleds up the Mt.

If someone gets stupid, and un-buckles, most likely nothing will happen unless they get real stupid and try to stand up.

The autopia uses belts too....should that be changed as well?
    Then I'm not sure what OSHA's concern over Alice was as the bars are adequate restraints. I hardly think that Matterhorn vs. Autopia is a valid comparison...

I thought OSHA was more involved with safety of employees rather than of guests. And the OSHA changes to Alice, the bars around the outside, are so that CMs don't fall off when doing maintenance, etc.

Is it just me or does Ice Mountain look really really slooooooooooow?

What is being referred to here is actually CAL OSHA/DOSH which is responisble for all phases of amusement ride safety,both rider and employee in the state of California, as opposed to the Federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

^^ OK, thanks for the clarification.

• Hooterville, USA

Unfair comparison but the Matterhorn has seat belts and school buses have none.

Where's the logic?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast