Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

The Joy of Fastpass

Since the former Fastpass thread has had many updates and changes since it's inception (over 5 years ago), the staff figured we'd start a new one. If you'd like to take a look at the old thread you can find it here.

The Joy of FASTPASS - details and secrets

The best place to start a discussion of FASTPASSes is the official Disney description of FASTPASS...

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/plan...ices/fastpass/

The System:

Now, how does it work, well, think of the FASTPASS machines as a computer network, with each attraction being a "unit" in the network. When a "regular" user attempts to get a FASTPASS, the machine does two things, the first test is that it checks to see if you have a current FASTPASS for the same attraction (that is a FASTPASS whose start time is later than the current time aka not yet valid), and the second test is to see if you have received another FASTPASS in the same park (There are two separate networks, one for Disneyland, and another for DCA). The rule here is you are not allowed to get another FASTPASS until the starting time of the first FASTPASS, or after 2 hours of issuance of the first FASTPASS. The easiest way to check this is to look at the bottom of the first FASTPASS, it will state "Another FASTPASS will be available at XX:XX" Now certain FASTPASS machines have not been connected to the network. In this case, the machine only cares about the first test, do you have another FASTPASS for THIS ride?, and will issue you one only if the starting time has passed. (For example, you go to Indy, and get a FASTPASS for 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM at about 10 AM. The machine will refuse to issue you another FASTPASS until 11:30 AM, at which time, the machine would issue one for say 1:40 to 2:40 PM, once again, you will be blocked out until 1:40 PM, when the machine will once again give you a new FASTPASS for say 3:10 to 4:10 PM....)

The "Tricks":

There are TWO networks, one for the Disneyland Park, and a second for Disney's California Adventure. They are totally separate, so you can always get one FASTPASS for each park. Let's look at the Networked machines....

In Disneyland, the following rides are networked

Autopia
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    Splash Mountain
    Space Mountain
    Haunted Mansion Holiday (October thru early January) Regular version does NOT offer Fastpasses
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    Star Tours

At DCA, the networked attractions are

Goofy's Sky School
    Soarin' Over California
    Tower of Terror
    Grizzly River Run
    California Screamin'
    Radiator Springs Racers

Now, not every attraction is part of the network, 1 attraction (at present, and these attractions have changed many times) doesn't look at the network.

Independent Machine (AKA Stand-Alone)

Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin is independent, unlinked according to reports. This can change at any time however.

FASTPASS machines are turned off when an attraction has been temporarly closed down to fix a problem. They are turned back on when the attraction returns to normal operation.

PLEASE NOTE : All times are an example, and should not be a reflection of the time you really get on your FASTPASS

One trick that is important is that the ending time is not important, the CM does check the start time and the date, but they have been told to be very flexible on the ending time, who knows why you have been delayed, you could have been stuck on another ride, etc.... so they almost always never say anything when you show up late with a FASTPASS...

The trick with the independent machines is to get a NEW FASTPASS prior to riding, for example, it is now 11:15 am, and you want to ride Roger Rabbit, before going in the FASTPASS line to ride, pick up another FASTPASS (the window is now open), and you will be given a new Roger Rabbit FASTPASS for 2:10 pm to 3:10 pm, this will allow you to come back later, after 2:10 pm for a second ride on Roger Rabbit, and get a third FASTPASS for Roger Rabbit later in the day.

So, what can I have, PRIOR to even accessing the "networked" machines...

Well, I can have a Roger Rabbit, and a Grizzly River Run FASTPASS.

OK, now to talk about the "Networked" machines, you can have (in most cases) one DL and one DCA networked FASTPASS in addition to the above FASTPASSES...

Once you get one networked FASTPASS, you are not allowed another "networked" FASTPASS within the same park (either DL or DCA) until the earlier of these two events happen...

1. The time window on the FASTPASS becomes valid

2. Two hours have passed since receiving the FASTPASS

OK, lets look at some examples...

It is early in the day, and you go to get a Splash FASTPASS at 9:15 am, the FASTPASS issued to you is valid from 10:20 am to 11:20 am...

In this case, the next FASTPASS would be available at 10:20 am, and that would be the time printed on the bottom of the FASTPASS

But, lets say it is a bit later, say around 10:30 am, you get a Splash FASTPASS, but now it is good between 2:40 pm and 3:40 pm...

In this case, the next FASTPASS would be available at 12:30 pm. (Two hours after the FASTPASS was issued), and the bottom of the FASTPASS would state 12:30pm... there is one additional rule, you would NOT be allowed to get a Splash FASTPASS, you cannot get a new Splash FASTPASS until the window opens at 2:40 pm, but at 12:30 you could get an Autopia, Roger Rabbit, Indiana Jones, etc.....(any networked ride OTHER than Splash)

And one of the most important tricks to maximize your FASTPASS usage is to get a NEW FASTPASS prior to using the current active one, let's say at 11 AM you got an Indy FASTPASS good for 12:35 pm to 1:35 pm, at 12:30, I would head over to Splash Mountain, and at 12:35, get a Splash FASTPASS (say good for 2:50 pm to 3:50 pm), then ride Indy... at 2:35 pm (don't forget the two hour rule), I would pick up an Autopia FASTPASS, then ride Splash.........

OK, so now you can have a Big Thunder, GRR, HMH, plus one or two DL networked rides, and a DCA ride...

Another thing to think about is the Single Rider Passes/lines available on Splash, Grizzly River Run, Soarin', California Screamin', Goofy's Sky School, Matterhorn, and Radiator Springs Racers. If you are willing to use Single Rider Passes/lines (Which in most cases are quicker than FASTPASSES, with the exception of Soarin', which in many cases can have a longer wait than a FP)... you won't need to pick up FASTPASSES for these rides, and can use the FASTPASSES on other rides, such as Autopia.

To Sum up the FASTPASS system....

Think of the systems as DIFFERENT, and that there are now FOUR sets of FASTPASS machines, Roger Rabbit, California Screamin', the DL networked system, and the DCA networked system....by thinking in this manner should help you make the most use out of the FASTPASS system.....

World of Color Fastpasses:

For the best information regarding WOC Fastpasses, please use this thread:
    A Guide to Braving the Crowds for World of Color
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 06-19-2012 at 06:58 AM.

• Disney Fan & Musician

Re: The Joy of Fastpass - 2010 Edition

Very nice! Looking forward to updates.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• We Go On.

Nice, clean, new thread! Thanks!

awesome! Fast passes are amazing. They save you time, especially for non-APs! People living in SoCal should really consider buying one!

http://www.disney.parkeleven.com/ - Disneyland Resort Photos!
    http://www.hiddenmickeys.parkeleven.com - Hidden Mickeys!

• When Will It Return?

Just for the sake of saving time:

6,975 POSTS FEATURING ANTI-FP'ERS VS PRO-FP'ERS!

There. Good that we got all of that out of our system because nothing has changed, and nothing will change due to something that comes out of that never-ending debate.

Quote Originally Posted by drseang
    People living in SoCal should really consider buying one!
    Excuse me? FastPass is included in every form of paid admission. No "buying" required. There need not be one extra penny spent solely on FastPass.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    Excuse me? FastPass is included in every form of paid admission. No "buying" required. There need not be one extra penny spent solely on FastPass.
    I think the poster is referring to SoCal'ers buying an AP.

Also, FP is bad for the park and should be eliminated. Thank you.
    Last edited by sediment; 10-18-2010 at 09:47 AM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• I don't know him!

So to clarify, Grizzly River Run is now on the DCA network?
    There were a couple of places in the OP when it wasn't made very clear.

Can someone post a list of all of the Single Rider attractions at DL and DCA please?Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

At DCA, the networked attractions are

California Screamin'
    Mulholland Madness
    Soarin' Over California
    Tower of Terror
    Grizzly River Run
    So, what can I have, PRIOR to even accessing the "networked" machines...

Well, I can have a Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, and a Grizzly River Run FASTPASS.
    OK, so now you can have a Roger Rabbit, GRR, HMH, plus one or two DL networked rides, and a DCA ride...
    Is GRR networked now or ...?

Another thing to think about is the Single Rider Passes available on Splash, Grizzly River Run, Soarin', California Screamin', Mulholland Madness, and Maliboomer.
    No more Maliboomer.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

It would make sense that GRR remains off of the network, or was brought back off the network to make the transition from WoC FP's to GRR FP's a bit easier, but I do think someone said a while ago that it was indeed brought onto the network.

• When Will It Return?

Ridiculously easy way to check it - try getting a Soarin' FP immediately after obtaining a World of Color FP, or GRR FP.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The WoC ticket everybody knows is offline, however it is somewhat hard to check FP distribution from Canada. haha

• Minion

Is HMH networked? I leave tomorrow to fly down to John Wayne and get a few days in the parks? It would be nice to know if HMH is networked before I go, or I'll ask one of you on sunday when I'm there!
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• A Weather Eye Open

I think it appears that GRR was removed from the network, but that the OP missed some changes that needed to be made when editing the text? I will try it next time I am in DCA, possibly sometime Sunday afternoon.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

•   

GRR is on network, or at least was before WOC started. I would imagine it still is. Will check on Sunday.

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast