Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Ariel's Undersea Adventure, your expectations.

Question...were people this excited about a dark ride coming out when Pooh and Monsters were about to open? I'm a little scared about this, I mean what good dark ride has Disney made recently in Disneyland? I personally like Roger Rabbit so I think that's the only one if any, but in terms of technology I'd say it's not that good either.

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Expect it to be twice as long as Peter Pan, with AA''s that are better than HM. I"ve read a couple AA's are almost as good as Depp in Pirates. The only reason it won't be as good as Mansion is the great theming of the Mansion building and its preshow.

• ******** Gold Member

Thanks for the video!!! I was going to ask if we ride on water, but it looks like we ride in shells shaped like HM coffin cars, and are surrounded by water effect created by color & lights. Is that your take?

• Wanna be Sub Mermaid

Quote Originally Posted by SnarkHuntress View Post
    Thanks for the video!!! I was going to ask if we ride on water, but it looks like we ride in shells shaped like HM coffin cars, and are surrounded by water effect created by color & lights. Is that your take?
    Haha, it seems to look that way huh?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Quote Originally Posted by SnarkHuntress View Post
    I think you should see the virtual ride concept for the little mermaid attraction on the platinum Edition DVD, the effects they going to be using are going to be coming from that. (I think the effect is called the 'Dry for Wet' effect, which takes you from a dry surface to a wet surface, with out geting you wet. This effect is being used at TDS's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.)

Timekeeper

• The one, the only...

I have BIG expectations for Little Mermaid. I don't compare it to POTC but to the Haunted Mansion. (because of the similar ride system) Walt Disney once said that his Imagineers could design anything they want as long as it put a smile of the face of the guests. I really believe that this Little Mermaid attraction will be that kind of attraction. It will make everyone smile who ride it.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Considering the size of course it's not going to be on the same level as some of the more larger/intricate dark rides so I don't know why that comparison is being brought up. I see it being DCA's Peter Pan, slightly longer and with some really good AA's and special effects. I'm excited about the submerging underwater effect they will put on the vehicles as well as the supposed giant Ursula AA.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by junglecskipper View Post
    Aladdin, do you just like to be negitive. How can you say it will be less of an experience than a FL dark ride. The amount of detail in this attraction is on the level of POTC. I think the thing that will make it a D+ ticket is the length. Other than that I think it will be a phenomenal attraction. But it's in DCA so it going to suck.
    I posted expectations, both good and bad. It's your choice, if you only saw the "negitive" in my post.

Really, I expect a lot from Disney, and explained and gave comparisson's of where I expect the attraction to come in at - and I do expect that the artwork and sets to look great, and I do expect that the minor figures will look less doll like and more in style with the movie, than in Small World, but not much more sophisticated in AA movement.

The Aucitoneer in Pirates is one of the most sophisticated AA's, since Pirates opening, and really, I don't expect the larger AA's in Ariel, to be much more sophisticated than that.

Disney has shown that they can do some great things with special effect lighting, like the Nutcracker Holiday Holiday Show on the Small World Facade, and the special effect lighting that they added to Snow, recently. So, I will be interested in seeing how effective they will be in setting the right lighing in the attraction - I have a feeling that the lighting effects alone will make a HUGE difference in how big of a success this attraction will be.

I've mentioned it before, is that the two seat vehicles will make for this attraction being a little more intimate than what a small world or pirates boat would be, so that is a good thing. The more intimate the attraction, the better. It's always better to make it seem like you are the onlly one that the show is playing to, and the omnimovers are a good way to do that, But a caution on that is that the older FL dark rides did a lot better job at doing that than any other dark rides created in at 30 to 40 years.

It's been mentioned about how they worked on getting her hair to look like it really is moving and flowing as if it's underwater - I'll have to reserve comments on that until after I see it, But I don't want to set my expectatios so high, as something that they won't be able to achieve it.

When it opens, I'll give praise where praise is due,

And like I said before, and it has to be repeated, because it IS such an enormous part of what I expected of a Little Mermaid attraction, I am GREATLY disappointed that they did not design this as a suspended attraction. That ONE factor alone, would likely have raised the status of this attraction one entire Ticket Level alone.

the other thing that could have elevated level the attraction would be an immersive queue, like Star Tours, Indy, Roger Rabbit, Haunted Mansion. That alone doesn't kill an attraction, as the Pirates queue is rather bleah, but a decent queue would have definitley helped.

And finally, as mentioned before, the setting/district where this attraction is going is just not as immersive, as I would hope for, I would much rather have King Triton's Castle like TDS has or Prince Eric's Castle, that WDW ist getting, instead were getting stuck with a crappy paradise pier theme exterior. With several Little Mermaid attractions, they really should have placed them in a coherent fashion in one area, and make it an under sea park area - King Tritons Carousel, jumpin jellyfish (which tds has) ariel grotto - And with this entire new Little Mermaid attraction, they really should have rethemed that ENTIRE side of the puddle to Ariel. And if they REALLY would have been smart, when DCA first opened, they would have created an entire restaurant (in the style of Blue Bayou) for The Little Mermaid!

If they REALLY would have wanted to, they could have created something like that stretchig from Pizza Ooo mow mow to Golden Dream area. Disney didn't think big enough with the make over of Paradie puddle, and it's just frustrating that they are missing such a great opportunity.

This is likely the ONLY Little Mermaid attraction that DL will see, and for them NOT to make it as magical as possible (with suspended vehicles, etc) is disappointing. This IS the only time for them to get the little mermaid right, and they are just missing some major things that would not only elevate the level of this attraction, but also elevate the entire level of DCA, and would also turn around the most pitiful themed area (paradise pier) of any disney park, in Disney history. This area could be so much more than what they planned, but the failed PP theme is influencing the makeover too much.

Smile Re: Ariel's Undersea Adventure, your expectations.

I think it's going to be beautiful. I was sort of disappointed with Monsters Inc, but I still visit it every time I go to the park, so I'm sure I'll love Ariel no matter what it's like. Does anyone know when it's supposed to open? I'm a former annual passholder who now lives in Denver and I'm trying to plan our next visit. I heard it's scheduled for Feb 2011.

• Established 2005

After seeing the video of the flythrough of the WDW version that was part of the NASA presentation, I must say I'm a bit disappointed in one thing. I know, I know, they didn't add all the details of the attraction to that CGI mock-up, but I did notice one thing they did add. . .the same curly, wavy detail applied to the underside of the catwalk overhead in the Under The Sea room as is present overhead in Mermaid Lagoon at TDS. You can see these in use in this photo from TDS:

http://www.tdrfan.com/tds/mermaid_la...on_theater.jpg

The big difference is that Mermaid Lagoon is very dimly lit, and those wavy detail pieces cover the lighting trusses and catwalk for that show building. I have a feeling the Under The Sea room will be very brightly lit, and while there will be lots going on in the room, this added detail is just lazy.

Minor, but still.

I also have issues with the final three tableaus being on one side of the ride track. The rest of the attraction has varying scene placement, but this just throws me. "And to wrap up the story, let's just throw three scenes right next to each other all on one side. . .they'll be bored by then, anyway. Enough! Just let Ariel have her da*n life where the people are!"

• Future Indy Castmember

Like everyone, I have high expectations for Little Mermaid. As for it being a D-Ticket, I'm going to be mute on this till I ride it next year.

No doubt the exterior is going to be really nice, espically at night!

The only things I'm wondering is:

1. Do you think they have a plan to keep this open during WoC performances?
    2. Does anyone have a good guess on how the queue layout will be like?

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• I don't know him!

Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
    The only things I'm wondering is:

1. Do you think they have a plan to keep this open during WoC performances?
    2. Does anyone have a good guess on how the queue layout will be like?
    1. Yes, I believe it was mentioned that it would be kept open as long as the queue movement isn't slowed to a halt by people stopping to watch the show.

2. Just chain switchbacks a la the FL dark rides. That would be my guess.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by DragonFire FURY View Post
    1. Yes, I believe it was mentioned that it would be kept open as long as the queue movement isn't slowed to a halt by people stopping to watch the show.

2. Just chain switchbacks a la the FL dark rides. That would be my guess.
    1. Hope so. During WoC showings the line shouldn't be too long.

2. Thats what im guessing too. Kind of odd how they announced just about eveything but the queue.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

I guessing that they didn't announce anything about the queue because there is not going to be anything that special about it... I'm expecting a large room with switchback inside the loading station with the big mural on the main focal wall and not much more. I mean the ride isn't getting fast pass simply because there is no room for a stand-by and FP line. It kinda sucks that they chose to put this ride in such a land locked part of the park (not that there is really any alternative in DCA). I would much rather see them tear out the challenge trail and build a real attraction there and have some leftover room for a real queue to this ride. With that being said, I'm excited to see what WDI does with this attraction and can't wait to ride it next year!

• Dreams do come true

This took way to long to come up with.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast