Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is the future of the Nemo/Autopia/MBC land?

Every time I look at a satellite image of Disneyland, I think what a massive amount of space Nemo, Autopia and the old Motor Boat Cruise take up. An entire NOS and Splash Mountain could fit in that space. Just the queue and loading area for Autopia itself could be replaced by a Space Mountain sized attraction. Similarly, the Subs lagoon could fit Splash Mountain.

Nemo takes up a large amount of land under Autopia. Then there is Autopia, which dominates the land. I understand it's a great ride for kids, but the very nature of a driving attraction requires a lot of concreted space. There's the large unused MBC land. Finally, there is the wasted People Mover and the Monorail. Ultimately, in 15-20 years, if we have a 3rd park, the Monorail could/will become a true transportation system (though I know capacity and city issues exist).

So my question: what is sacred in that area and what will ultimately become of the space? Is the Subs lagoon sacred? Is the recent Nemo attraction a long term one? Will we always require an Autopia for kids? Can the extra loops of the Monorail ultimately be removed? Could this become another land that blends between Tomorrow and Fantasy?

Re: What is the future of the Nemo/Autopia/MBC land?

There is definitely a lot of history on that area. The submarine voyage opened in the late 50's and the Autopia was there before that. I'm sure they spent a ton of money to retheme the submarines to Nemo so that won't be going anywhere for a long time.

Nemo is probably my least favorite ride and I didn't like it much before the retheming either. I would love a new attraction in that area as long as it keeps a large body of water in that area. Maybe an attraction can be built vertically from that area and have the monorail track run through it?

I used to love the Autopia when I was a kid, but now, you can't even enjoy it. The roads are so congested (just like real life LA) and if the person if front of you is too slow or can't figure out the gas pedal, your whole ride is ruined. I would like to see the autopia remain in the same area, but something has to be done to make it a better attraction. For as much valuable real estate as the tracks take up, they should really make it a better experience for guests that wait in line forever to drive them.

Surprised you did not include Innovations to your list. If you think the subs area is a waste now you must have been besides yourself during the years the attraction was closed. As for the subs, just bring back the mermaids.Autopia, convert the cars to an air cushion type hoover craft to make the ride a little more futuristic. As for the Motor Boat cruise, stock it with catfish and rent rowboats and fishing poles?
    The trouble of the whole Tomarrowland area is the lack of futuristic visions that can be created nicely with today's technology.
    I don't see the need for a new land unless Disney has a huge pile of attraction ideas that they can not fit into the current land themes

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

The space is actually very well used with stacked attractions:

Subs are the base
    Autopia just above that
    Then the People Mover (though closed)
    Then the Monorail on the top level

4 attractions on one plot of land. Not too shabby. And it is probably the most dynamic section of the park for that reason (though something needs to be done with that People Mover track soon).
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Pumpkin Dragon

Thats right, Plus Autopia could turn out to be like Midget Autopia while Carsland could become the new Autopia...Highly doubt on that part though...
    STOP CHEWING MY SHOELACES! D:

Ahh! The project is on fire! D:
    This fire has delayed our signature redesigning, Excuse the smoke...and the burnt pixie dust...
    I SUPPORT THE RETURN OF THE HATBOX GHOST!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The area does have a lot going on, but I can't get past how Autopia just doesn't fit in the land. A plot that big could be used for a fantastic D-E ticket attraction. You could even keep the subs and still have enough room. And hey, as I have suggested before, if you put more futuristic autopia cars on the Peoplemover tracks that go through the rest of Tomorrowland, you keep parts of those two attractions while making something that is actually futuristic.

^Carsland will not become the new Autopia just like Test Track cannot even be compared to the Magic Kingdom's version of Autopia. They are just way to different on every level.

• WoC Enthusiast

Its surprising to hear mc-ers talk about Autopia like this
    I feel like the main problem with the ride is that the cars do not go the same speed so it causes the "congestion" but autopia is a classic at disneyland which I've always enjoyed. Innoventions needs to either be more innovative or removed.

W
    orld Of Color count -- 7 times

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

^But, considering it has no futuristic-ness about it and it features old technology which is environmentally and technologically outdated, how does it fit in Tomorrowland?

• Minion

If I was in charge, I would move Autopia over to the new Carsland. And make the vehicles electric. That's a no-brainer. I would take the entire area from the sub lagoon north to "it's a small world" and make that a new land with an oceanic theme. Everything would be related to oceans, water, boats and islands. There would be a new ride on the surface of the water, maybe not Aquatopia at DisneySea but something along those lines. There would be a new major E-ticket housed in a volcano at the northeastern corner, with eruptions nightly, and a thrill ride inside, maybe not Journey to the Center of the Earth at DisneySea but something along those lines as well. The volcano and ride would be Krakatoa, and have an eruption nightly with small fireworks and glowing lava. The Disneyland Railroad would go right through the volcano. The water area would also have a walk-thru attraction in an underwater glass viewing tube, something similar to the Shark Encounter at Sea World. And, of course the requisite shops, stores and entertainment. Maybe a bar themed to Lost if there is demand for it. "it's a small world" and the subs would be part of this land because they are based on watercraft touring the oceans. Maybe, or maybe not, to look similar to the Discovery Bay concept:

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The volcano would be seen from so many places though. How would you make it all fit in? Id rather see this concept fit into a future third gate where it could be done on a grander scale.

The subs and Autopia will remain in my opinion, the former having room for improvement.

Autopia is too much of a classic and fan favorite to be removed, maybe modified or made smaller but I'm not even sure if that will happen.

• Disneyland History Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    If I was in charge, I would move Autopia over to the new Carsland. And make the vehicles electric. That's a no-brainer. I would take the entire area from the sub lagoon north to "it's a small world" and make that a new land with an oceanic theme. Everything would be related to oceans, water, boats and islands. There would be a new ride on the surface of the water, maybe not Aquatopia at DisneySea but something along those lines. There would be a new major E-ticket housed in a volcano at the northeastern corner, with eruptions nightly, and a thrill ride inside, maybe not Journey to the Center of the Earth at DisneySea but something along those lines as well. The volcano and ride would be Krakatoa, and have an eruption nightly with small fireworks and glowing lava. The Disneyland Railroad would go right through the volcano. The water area would also have a walk-thru attraction in an underwater glass viewing tube, something similar to the Shark Encounter at Sea World. And, of course the requisite shops, stores and entertainment. Maybe a bar themed to Lost if there is demand for it. "it's a small world" and the subs would be part of this land because they are based on watercraft touring the oceans. Maybe, or maybe not, to look similar to the Discovery Bay concept:
    Bob gets my vote to be the person in charge.

I was actually thinking similarly along those lines. Expand Tomorrowland and just cede off the Subs and Autopia to a new land with Small World. The problem would be, under what land do you classify the Monorail or PeopleMover (if it ever comes back)? Say you keep them with the Subs and Autopia in this new land. You've basically got a land that's about various forms of transportation... monorail, cars, submarines, boats. Though that doesn't sound very bankable.

An aquatic theme would be a pretty easy way to do it, though, since the Subs are there. Just enclose Autopia with aquariums housing real fish and take a drive through it along a track that will drive you.

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

While I agree it's a huge plot of land, I have to agree with Dusty that it's very well utilized with how everything stacks. I don't think the issue is the size of the land it takes up (the thematic entrances, queue, boarding and show buildings for singular attractions like Space, PoTC, HM and Indy take up tons of room), so it seems as if this is one of the best-utilized areas of the park (moreso if the old MBC was re-opened, but that's been filled). I think it seems a waste of space as we can't really walk around back there ... much like how the space Adventureland/NOS (with Jungle/show buildings) takes up is quite huge, guests can only access the perimeter unless they're on an attraction like FNSM, Monorail or Autopia).

The secondary issue is with how we perceive the quality of the attractions that are currently there. I loved the old Submarine Voyage (where you could use your imagination on a true adventure), but the FNSV, IMHO, vastly underutilizes the huge lagoon and show building with a "seen it once, skip it" direct rehash of the movie. The PM/RR track has been sitting dead; I don't want to see this great track ripped out, but rather used. The Monorail route, for the most part, has been used since 1959, and I still enjoy the route, so in my book - that gets a pass. As for Autopia - it losses its magic when people turn 16 and get to experience the "joy" of real OC/LA driving. As a kid, I would've been horribly heartbroken if it was removed ... in my younger years, that and Tom Sawyer Island defined Disneyland in my book.

I don't think any of the rides are neccessarilly sacred ... but the infrastructure of them are. If a good story could be retold in the sub lagoon and if the PM/RR track was utilized again, I'd have no problem with that area ... with the exception of MBC.

In my opinion, Disneyland has far worse areas of concerns than this stacked, and rather popular, corner of the park. It's not broken ... just under-utilized in the thematic sense. Let's fix Frontierland, work on adding new adventures north of the RoA (including BTRanch and Festival Arena, and even some expansion area back there), and let's fix Tomorrowland (basically everything between Star Tours and DLRR - TL Station needs to be revamped, with the exception of Space, but not with the exception of the queue).

If DL had to take out something existent to build a large new attraction/land ... let's talk the former Videopolis/FT/current Princess Fantasy Faire and the huge chunk of real estate it takes up. Plus, MK has taught us that Toontown is no sacred cow ... (true, theirs were mostly tents and facades, but still). You could easily work in Mickey's House and RRCTS with a different concept.

DL, while bordered by the city and seemingly crowded, is VERY far from being built out.

• Minion

I don't feel Autopia is Tomorrowland material anymore, yet it is an opening day attraction (in name only), but that has power. I think maybe only Eisner would not hesitate to rip it out and build a mall in its place. The subs too just have much history. MBC is a nice body of water to cool down by. So, what to do? Well, I say combine Autopia and MBC. Make the cars a two way land/water car, which were somewhat futuristic in the 50s and 60s. Your car gets into the water and is propelled by a chain drive or something similar. Then once out of the water, you use your gas pedal to continue. And only one loading lane will have these car/boat cars. You need to get a special fast pass for this car. The other lanes will be the regular attraction cars. I'm not too good at this armchair imagineering, but it's fun once in a while.

Autopia is very futuristic to the kids at Disneyland. I know that it was one of my favorites as a kid. I mean a chance to drive what child doesn't dream of that.

As far as the rest of the area- things can be done but it will cause a lot of down time for 3 rides with a lot of walls up. I don't see a big problem with the area. Other issues need to be taken care of first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast