Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Keelboat Ferries from Critter Country to Frontierland

Often the source of much congestion, we all know that Critter Country can get very busy and very congested. What do you all think of making a dock down near the Hungry Bear that would move people via Keel boat around the back of the Rivers of America, docking near the Indian Village with a walkway that meets up with the Big Thunder trail between the ranch and whatever future land/attraction goes there and the Ponds/Mine Train area?

During peak times, they could opt to only move people one way (out of Critter Country) while having two way service the rest of the time. Possible problems this would experience would be the necessary closure on Fantasmic! nights while they queue up the boats, and the issue of running boats counterclockwise on the ROA to get back to CC.

Thoughts?

• Pumpkin Dragon

Re: Keelboat Ferries from Critter Country to Frontierland

No, just no. You dont want to risk the boats overturning. First of all, Keelboat Ferries wont get alot of people in one boat, Try to have the Columbia make those trips instead because it can hold alot of people, but you may want to set a little money aside to make a fontierland station for The Columbia. (Or does the Mark Twain go around in Critter Country, either way, money will have to be set aside for a station for the boats, if its Columbia or Mark Twain.)
    STOP CHEWING MY SHOELACES! D:

Ahh! The project is on fire! D:
    This fire has delayed our signature redesigning, Excuse the smoke...and the burnt pixie dust...
    I SUPPORT THE RETURN OF THE HATBOX GHOST!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I think it is definitely an interesting idea. I think the biggest problem would be making sure people know that it is not a complete loop. I would also suggest having the return trip, Frontierland to Critter Country, also go around the north side of Tom Sawyer Island, so that both trips offer scenery to riders.
    Quote Originally Posted by FantasmicDragon View Post
    No, just no. You dont want to risk the boats overturning. First of all, Keelboat Ferries wont get alot of people in one boat,
    There is absolutely no reason that new boats, with greater stability and capacity could not be designed.

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

No, just no. You dont want to risk the boats overturning. First of all, Keelboat Ferries wont get alot of people in one boat, Try to have the Columbia make those trips instead because it can hold alot of people, but you may want to set a little money aside to make a fontierland station for The Columbia. (Or does the Mark Twain go around in Critter Country, either way, money will have to be set aside for a station for the boats, if its Columbia or Mark Twain.)
    If operated properly, you don't have to worry about the Keel Boats tipping over.

Also, "the little money aside" for the Columbia idea would require building two docks, queue areas for them, a path from the (new) Frontierland dock to Big Thunder Trail, draining the entire RoA (resulting in the closure of some rides, plus Fantasmic! and all the food/merch sales F! brings in), and either building a track extension for Columbia to reach the docks and at least two switches so the Mark Twain could travel one way and the Columbia another, or an entirely seperate track (if possible?) for the Columbia to work off. That's not a little sum of money.

As much as I like the idea of working Keelboats again (they operate them at DLP just fine), I don't think it'd be worth it just because of capacity issues ... be easier just to build a trail.

• Banned User

Yeah, it would not be efficient at all. We are talking like 20 boats before we match the capacity of 1 mark twain trip. The boats are very very small and could not handle the masses descending on Splash Mountain. Saying that, I do think they should build a train station above Hungry Bear as that may help

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Well, I like the idea......
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I guess you figure it is impossible to make a Keelboat that is more stable? A simple reworking and they could very possibly make a larger capacity boat with more stability. As for the larger boats, you couldn't turn them around due to their size.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Yeah, it would not be efficient at all. We are talking like 20 boats before we match the capacity of 1 mark twain trip. The boats are very very small and could not handle the masses descending on Splash Mountain. Saying that, I do think they should build a train station above Hungry Bear as that may help
    Why would these supposed keelboats have to be the same size as the old ones? Also, why would massive capacity be needed? Unless I am reading the proposal wrong, the trip would not be a straight shot, but include the scenic journey around the Rivers of America. This seems to be more about having a secondary exit option and not an actual means of moving masses of people.

• Senior Minion

I like the idea as well. As others have said, they could be redesigned and they are a secondary option of transportation. A path should eventually be added too, but new keelboats would be a nice option that would bring more movement to the river.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Thank you Lazyboy and Uncle Bob.

I was rushed earlier so I want to expand my original statement. I find often here that people are a bit to quick to respond to something like this. I didn't say they had to be the same boats as before, and obviously they would adress the stability issue that existed with the old boats. That should go without saying in my opinion.

The Keelboats would be mainly a relief valve for the area and can not be expected to fully replace a path, but anything bigger would not be able to turn on the river or navigate it without some sort of track. Another issue is their loading times. Getting the big vessels docked and prepared for going ashore and boarding takes a very long time. A new Keelboat with matching dock would be much better for this.

Also to clarify, I am suggesting that they run in a shuttle pattern back and forth along the back side of the Rivers of America offering views of the Cabin, Indian Village and Fort.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I like the idea just based on the fact it will make the River of America look busier, more authentic. As far as the safety goes I'm not worried because they wouldn't allow unsafe vessels taking passengers. I'm also not concerned about capacity because making Disneyland more pleasing to the eye....more fun doesn't always have to take passenger capacity into consideration.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I love the idea! I have missed the Keel Boats ever since they closed. Since they do not require to be on a track, their movement would be better and more efficient.

Bring Back the Keel Boats!!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Glad to hear some support

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Sounds fun, but not very efficient as an actual transportation method.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Egads, I must be tired! I originally mis-read the title of this thread as Keelboat Faeries from Critter Country to Frontierland. My mind was in a twist for a minute, until the real words finally sank in.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast