Navagating DL with broken foot

My dh just broke his foot today and our trip is a week from this coming Monday. I have never faced the parks with a broken foot/appendage before in all my years. Any suggestions?? It will be me, dh and our 4 kids 9 and under. Will be renting an electric cart thingy. Anyone ever put a plastic bag over their cast and ride Splash Mtn and such?

• Banned User

Re: Navagating DL with broken foot

I can totally see this, yep just put a bag on the cast! Make sure its pretty tight, or you will find it a mess from water. I am sorry bout his foot, what a bummer, but with the elextric cart he should do well. maybe you should use the stores carts now to ge the hang of it before you go. ?

• See you there!

Sorry about the foot, but it doesn't have to spoil the vacation.

If you are going to be staying at a DLR hotel, I recommend that you rent the scooter from a local company and have it delivered to the hotel. The scooters at DL are real dogs. Heck, I can limp faster than their scooers.
    Besides, if you rent locally and keep it at your hotel, you'll have it all the time, insted of having to get from hotel to rental, inside main PARK gate and that can be quite a hike. The less hiking the better, the more energy saved for enjoying your time there.

If not staying at a DLR hotel, check ad see what (if any) transportaiton arrangements they might have getting a guest with scooter from their hotel to DL. Frequently they can accomodate. No guarantees, but worth asking.

When you get to DL, go to City Hall and get the "Guide for Guests With Disabilities". It has some useful info. Any Q's just PM me and I'll try to help (I know how it is).

CU@DL

Andy

• A Pirate's life for me!

You can also download/print a copy of that guide from their website.

During one of our stays last year at the DL Hotel we had to use a wheelchair due to a surgery. We rented a chair while in the Park and the Hotel folks were kind enough to use that mega-golf cart to tote us back and forth through DTD. We felt like royalty!

And people wonder why we stay there...

• Curiouser and Curiouser

You should talk to eaglewings, she was in a foot cast for a while

• I love that tiny bear!

DH means your husband, right? (I Googled that and everything. I guess all the chatspeak I ever see is from little kids, so that's why I don't know it. ) Anyway, sorry to hear about it, whoever he is!

From what I've read in other places online, you might want to follow CuatDL's advice and get a scooter from a local vendor. I believe you can't take a scooter out of the park, so if you were going to go to DCA and DL in the same day, you'd have to check the scooter back in and cross the park, then get another one in DCA, which would cause you to wait longer. http://www.scootaround.com/ is a place I saw as recommended for scooters, but I've never rented one so I can't speak about that for sure. I have no idea how accessible the trams and shuttles are, and obviously if you're driving in each day you're going to have trouble transporting the scooter, though. And I also don't know if an electric scooter is likely to be stolen if unattended inside DL?

I always think of manual wheelchairs before scooters; they take less space and the batteries don't die...but my father's in a manual wheelchair, so that's why I think that way. In you case, with 4 kids in tow, I guess you have better things to do than push a wheelchair, and your husband probably isn't used to pushing himself in a wheelchair so that would be a looong day for him.

• Banned User

Yup I was in a cast and boot from August 20-mid October. And I'm a weekly trip visitor. Basically I rented a wheelchair every time ($28 deposit but they only really charge you $8 in the end). I never really put a bag on my foot because it was in a boot and usually a sock over the cast so nothing got wet on rides. And I was lucky enough that my boyfriend or my friends pushed me around the whole time. Quite nice really because you bypass most lines. Lately I'm just in the boot without the cast (building strength back up in my foot) and it's not too bad. Feel free to ask questions! I'm an expert.

• See you there!

Hi, I went to Disneyland today, and I’ve been thinking about this off and on all day. Here are some ideas and information that may help with your trip.

1. First and most important, you did not say if you were driving, flying, rental car or whatnot, so… if you are going to be using a car here (at DL) the first thing you might consider, tomorrow morning (Monday) call your doctor and get paperwork started for a temporary disability parking placard. Here in CA, the doctor fills out a form with the medical info, and we fill in personal info (address and whatnot) then take it to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) here in CA if you are a AAA member you can just go there ant they will process the request and issue the temporary Parking Placard. This will allow you to park closer and park in wider spaces which is helpful getting in and out of the car with things such as a broken foot. Seems that getting a placard should be similar in most states, just be sure to get the paperwork started soon, and placards are honored in states other than the state issued.

2. If you decided to rent a scooter from local company (which is easier IMHO) be sure to ask for a full-size or mid-size scooter . If dh is going to be spending all day in the seat, you want a comfortable one. Also, if you are using your own car to transport to and from your hotel (as in if you are not staying at a DLR hotel) be sure to make sure that you ask for a scooter that comes apart easily and into several pieces. For example my full-size scooter comes apart into 7 pieces and could easily be put in the trunk of most cars. Not much room for anything else, but if you are just going from your hotel to DL, you most likely don’t need much else.

3. Scooter transport to and from parking lots at DL: If you are driving (again, not at DLR hotel) when you get parked and get the scooter assembled, just scoot on over to the tram stop. There are ramps for accessible purposes, all you have to do is scoot over, go to the top of the ramp (I generally wait at the bottom until the tram arrives and unloads just incase there are other scooters or wheelchairs on the tram) then go to the top of the ramp and drive straight on to the tram (special place for scooters and wheel chairs). Transfer to a seat and you are all set. Oh, yes, the entire group, dh, you and kids should also go to top the of the ramp so you can sit together.

4. When you get to the other end, the scooter is facing the proper direction, just get on (after the tram stops), wait for the attendant to lower the ramp and drive off. Couldn’t be easier.

5. Scoot on over to security, then to tickets, then into the parks and have fun.

6. Someone talked about the possibility of someone misappropriating the scooter while unattended, well that is really not likely. Scooters have keys and the only way someone can take them (without the key) is to manually release the electric brake and then push the scooter. Looks fairly obvious, not something normally done, so they would be out of place real quick. As for wheelchair being misappropriated, such a thing were to happen it would be much easier, just release the manual brake and push away, this is a much more normal looking activity. I believe if it were to happen, that it would be more likely that a manual wheelchair might be taken than a scooter.

7. If you do decide to rent a scooter from Disneyland (or DCA), you can take them from park to park your rental is a park-hopper rental so to speak, or you can turn in the scooter in one park and pick up another in the other park (don’t know why one would do that though). The scooter rented at DL is only good for the parks, not Downtown Disney, not the resorts. So a Disney rental (besides being real dogs) are not as convenient as one would like.

8. Wheelchairs, yep, much cheaper, but, someone has to push or wheel it. Not much fun for a pusher or a wheeler, and takes energy that could be used for enjoying family at DL. With 4 kids, you and dh are going to need all the energy you can find.

9. If anything looks difficult, out of place or confusing, jsut ask a CM, they are more than happy to help. In fact, I usually as the attraction host/hostes how I should access the attraction with or transferring from my scooter. Even though Disney has a published document, sometimes they may have you access an attraction differently than in the document. I just always ask, and they direct me to the easiest way.

I hope some of this helps, I had to use a scooter on my last two trips to WDW (salvaged the vacations), and just recently I had to give up and get my own scooter for use when going to places like DL. I must say, Disney really has the accessibility issues addressed very well in most cases.

I hope some of this information helps, but above all, do **something**, a broken foot (painful as it may be right now) doesn’t have to spoil a vacation. Sure some things will be a little more difficult, and may take a little longer, but you can still have a great vacation.

CU@DL

Andy
    Last edited by CUatDL; 11-13-2005 at 08:06 PM.

• MC State Comptroller

I use a scooter when i go to DL, usually i just rent one from them. The one thing to warn you about is that they are a pain on inclines. They hardly move, sometimes not at all, and i end up having to have someone else push me up the incline. I don't know if that is different when you rent from outside the park, but when you rent from DL that is a problem. They also seem to be near death right around 7:30pm if you have used them the whole day. Just pay close attention to the battery indicator and you should be fine.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by hayesmama
    My dh just broke his foot today and our trip is a week from this coming Monday. I have never faced the parks with a broken foot/appendage before in all my years. Any suggestions?? It will be me, dh and our 4 kids 9 and under. Will be renting an electric cart thingy. Anyone ever put a plastic bag over their cast and ride Splash Mtn and such?
    Be sure to call your hotel and ask them if they can help. Sometimes they can provide information or even arrange for help. Enjoy your trip!! I hope your husband's foot feels better!

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by sgtpeper
    I use a scooter when i go to DL, usually i just rent one from them. The one thing to warn you about is that they are a pain on inclines. They hardly move, sometimes not at all, and i end up having to have someone else push me up the incline. I don't know if that is different when you rent from outside the park, but when you rent from DL that is a problem. They also seem to be near death right around 7:30pm if you have used them the whole day. Just pay close attention to the battery indicator and you should be fine.
    This is exactly what I was talking about. The DL scooters are real dogs. If you are only going one day, it may be easier to just rent from DL, but, if going for a vacation, get a good one from outside, that way you have it all the time. Many scooters have a speed control pot, that lets you set a max speed for the terrain. It seems to me that DL scooters must be set for a max of 1.5 to 2 mph. My personal scooter (as well as many rentals) will go much faster, now you really don't need more than 2 - 2.5 mph most times, but the reserve power helps significantly with the hills.

I go alone to DL with my scooter, and I have no problems with any of the terrain at DL or DCA, so there are "normal" scooters that can handle the parks.

Batteries: Most scooters have either an internal charger or an exteral charger. If you are planning a long day in the park, make sure to take the cable or charger with you. Like sgtpeper said, pay close attention to the battery indicator. If the battery gets low, plug-in somewhere (a CM should be able to help here). As for conserving power, if you travel at a normal walking pace the batteries will last longer. When I go with others (my wife for example) I let them set the pace. This accomplishes two things. 1. It conserves battery, and 2. It helps to keep the energy up of those I am with. Remember, the scooter rider will not tire as quickly as non-scooter riders.

Also, if you rent a scooter locally, make sure to plug it in overnignt every night. Ususally they rescommend 12 to 14 hours per night. On vacation folks may not be in their room 12-14 hours per day, so just need ot make sure that scooter is charging whenever possible.

Oh yeah, the scooter batteries are sealed gel-cells, so they don't have the memory effect of ni-cads and other such batteries, so any charge helps. If one takes an hour for lunch (I recommend breaks); Plug it in. If one takes a break for 30 minutes (I recommend at least a couple of breaks per day anyway); Plug it in. If a scooter is going to be used more than 6 hours per day, it the batteries may*need to be "toped off", so just plug it in when you can.

There are other battery conservation techniques, but the main ones are:

1. Scoot at a walking pace.
    2. When stopped for any length of time -- Turn it off.
    3. When the opportunity presents its self, plug it in.

IHTH

CU@DL

Andy

What ever you do practice with a scooter I saw a lady take out to people when she could not turn her scooter around.

This one time on Friends . . .

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandPlanner
    What ever you do practice with a scooter I saw a lady take out to people when she could not turn her scooter around.
    Practice is a very, very good idea. When I first started using a scooter it was a very frustraitng experience. I'm still not as good at scooting as I **was** at walking (of course I walked a lot more years than I did or have or will use a scooter).

Several years ago after my first trip to WDW that required that I needed a scooter to get around, I wrote an article about scooting at WDW. Much of the material is WDW specific, but much of it can apply to Disneyland as well, and well, it could apply to almost anyplace.

Anyway, anybody interested, here's the link:

http://homepage.mac.com/andyda/scooter.html

It is fairly long, and has some references to RADP but if you are interested in using a scooter, or helping someone to use a scooter, or just interested to try to understand more about those of us who depend on them, it is a fairly good read (I think).

Now that I also need to use a scooter whenever I go to DL, and as soon as I get a little more expereince scooting at DL I plan to do a similar page for DLR.

Well, anyway, I hope this helps some or just helps non-scooter (or non-mobility users) understand a little about the folks who need to use mobility devices, and maybe help some new scooter users with getting around the parks.

CU@DL

Andy
    Last edited by CUatDL; 11-15-2005 at 08:29 AM.