Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• All you need is LOVE

Is anyone else in a Wheelchair That goes to DL??

Hello I was wondering if anyone on this bored is on a wheelchair besides me?Thanks and Take care.

Crazy Legs

• Minion

I'm not, but my daughter is. She has CP, she actually uses her chair for longer distances and a walker at home. We have navigated the disabled entrances to the rides at DL for a while now. It's much better since they changed the policy and not just anyone can use them, don't you think?

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries
    I have not gone in three years due to my wheelchair. It just seemed like kind of a draqg watching others while I just sat there. Also, people are rude enough, being in a wheelcha makes it worse.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• Disney fans for life!

Crazy Legs...Did you change the pic in your Avatar? Looks nice. (so did the other one)

We went to DL last Thanksgiving week with a wheelchair for the first time. (reconstructive surgery on a foot). We were expecting nothing but trouble since DL changed their policy regarding the alternate lines/passes.

Actually, we were pleasantly surprised. All of the rides that we went on were accomodating. We never had to wait more than a few minutes. We passed up on the platform boat on Small World. We were able to get into a regular one. We also found out that there are special areas for wheelchairs for Fantasmic and the parades.

The restaurants worked out well too. When we went to Blue Bayou for lunch, they put us in a separate elevator to get to the dining area. Goofy's Kitchen moved a table for us to make it more convenient to get in and out for the food and our waitress even helped by carrying the plate when she could. We had the Thanksgiving Day Feast in the Grand Ballroom and that worked out just as well.

Lastly, we requested a Handicapped equipped room at the DL Hotel and it was roomy and had the handrails in the rest room/shower. They also set up our parking for Valet and didn't charge us for it.

Maybe this is an everyday occurence for folks in a wheelchair full-time (or maybe not), but for us it was a one-time thing in which we were very concerned about how it might turn out. We were very impressed with the accomodations that the Park and the Hotel made for us. And we are glad that we didn't delay or pass up on another nice trip to the Park for a fear of the unknown.

For anyone concerned about the use of a wheelchair in the Park, we feel comfortable in saying that you should give it a try. We have no regrets. There might be folks that have other feelings about this subject, but this is from our experience last Thanksgiving.

Nice topic.

• Senior Minion

The last time we went down, May of last year, my wife blew out her knee at Universal at Jurassic Park. Don't ask me how, it's a mystery. We tell people she was bit by one of the dinosaurs.

If you have a wheelchair to begin with (we didn't), it's not too bad--they have that little van there that will take you right up to the plaza entrance.

If you don't, and you're not able to walk at all, then someone has to go to the van, ride up to the plaza, rent the regular wheelchair, and then go back to pick the person up. If you then decide you need one of those ECV's, it's another process with a lot of paperwork both in and out.

Other than that...my wife seemed to have a pretty good time, even though she was limited as to what she could do or not do. For example, Splash Mountain just wasn't doable.

Here's hoping she stays in one piece for this next trip.

• All you need is LOVE

Thanks For all the replys. I was just wondering if there is any others in a wheelchair like I am that go to the parks.

I am a little concerned if I go to the meetings on Sundays That people might treat me diffrent.Sounds silly I know. I have had a few problems with the parks and people in the past.Even cast members.

I am some what newly injured.Its a long sad story.

Crazy Legs...Did you change the pic in your Avatar? Looks nice. (so did the other one)
    Yes I did thanks Dzny Van

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Legs
    I am a little concerned if I go to the meetings on Sundays That people might treat me diffrent.Sounds silly I know. I have had a few problems with the parks and people in the past.Even cast members.
    Go. If anyone has a problem with you being in a chair, screw 'em. Disneyland is a place where full grown adults freely walk around wearing Goofy hats, and get their pictures taken with costumed characters.

If they can't handle the fact that (a) you're in a wheelchair, and (b), you like Disneyland, too, then they're not worth your worrying about what they think or feel in the first place.

• All you need is LOVE

Thanks You rock.
    I know I had a cast member when going in to California Adventure in the gate the ticket taker said okay get up out of that chair.I look kinda young I guess.It was my sister and I going.I think he thought I was just in in to go on rides faster or something. It was so wrong.I was like what I am in this chair for real.
    It was so not right.I am pissed.How could some one be like that.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan
    Go. If anyone has a problem with you being in a chair, screw 'em. Disneyland is a place where full grown adults freely walk around wearing Goofy hats, and get their pictures taken with costumed characters.

If they can't handle the fact that (a) you're in a wheelchair, and (b), you like Disneyland, too, then they're not worth your worrying about what they think or feel in the first place.
    I agree! I'm sorry to hear what other people have done-- especially cast members. Just go and have fun! I would go and meet you on Sunday, only I am a little too far away right now.

• behind the curtain

I've been with my great grandmother in a wheel chair and all of the cast members have been very accomodating. I guess it's all luck of the draw.

• Greetings, Program!

Thanks You rock.
    I know I had a cast member when going in to California Adventure in the gate the ticket taker said okay get up out of that chair.I look kinda young I guess.It was my sister and I going.I think he thought I was just in in to go on rides faster or something. It was so wrong.I was like what I am in this chair for real.
    It was so not right.I am pissed.How could some one be like that.

This just floors me. As an ex-cast member, I lost a little patience with some visitors too, but to be so frickin' insensitive......

Sorry, if you were my guest in the park and someone made that crack to you, he'd be having meals thru a tube for a good month. That's just unforgivable.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Senior Minion

Thanks You rock.
    I know I had a cast member when going in to California Adventure in the gate the ticket taker said okay get up out of that chair.
    I guarantee you that if I had heard a CM say that to anyone, much less to me or anyone in my party, I'd be screaming murder until they walked that CM's pitiful butt out into the middle of Katella Blvd at rush hour and stripped them to their undies. It's the kind of thing that would have set Walt off screamie meemie unglued.

My younger brother is in a wheelchair (he has a severe form of muscular dystrophy) He went with me this past Saturday to meet up with some people in one of my Disneyland groups and every last one of those people were extremely friendly towards him. Even helped us out with navagating through the park. We've encountered a couple cast members who were a tad rude to him (telling him he COULDNT go on a ride, when he'd been on it thousands of times before...I felt like pointing out that all their warning signs are just that. WARNINGS. they say you SHOULDNT ride..not you cant) but Id say that about 99.5% of the cast members we've encountered have been awesome and helped accomodate us.
    FYI-On the new buzz lightyear ride, theres a special car just for wheelchairs so you dont even have to get out of your chair.

• All you need is LOVE

I know how crazy some people are and they just dont get it.I try and stay + after my injury.I still can not believe i am in a wheelchair.Life is so diffrent.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazylegs
    Thanks You rock.
    I know I had a cast member when going in to California Adventure in the gate the ticket taker said okay get up out of that chair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wotan
    I guarantee you that if I had heard a CM say that to anyone, much less to me or anyone in my party, I'd be screaming murder until they walked that CM's pitiful butt out into the middle of Katella Blvd at rush hour and stripped them to their undies. It's the kind of thing that would have set Walt off screamie meemie unglued.
    And I'd be right behind you all the way - and I usually carry rope in the car... I've seen some CM's that went a bit far, but that would be far far far beyond the pale. If you are going to lose it like that when you're at work, you get someone to cover for you, walk back to the breakroom, and THEN you vent.

Mind you, they frequently have problems at DL with teenagers - and even snooty adults - renting or even <ahem> "borrowing" a wheelchair that they don't really need for the day, then swapping off riders just so they can back-door their way into places. I have witnessed an older couple who admitted that they bought ECV scooters "just so we can use the handicapped entrances and wait in lines less."

But you NEVER accuse someone of flat-out faking it without some serious proof - unless someone witnesed the chair swap as it happened.

And even then, the wheelchair user getting up and walking around can be legitemate - Mom had bad knees and could never walk all day, but unless she got up once an hour and walked for a few minutes she'd lock up solid the next time she tried.

Even making jokes about 'getting up and walking' can be very dangerous for a CM Onstage, unless you are already friends with the other party and everyone else within earshot who could take offense.

As to DL's accessibility, it's pretty good. There are only a few things you can't do if you cannot transfer to the ride vehicle and/or walk a few steps in and out. Several rides have provisions for 'roll-ons' with special ride vehicles.

--<< Bruce >>--

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast