Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: DL in 1956

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Re: DL in 1956

I'm going to adopt a small child just so I can take them in a stroller and stash an ice box full of food from home. Maybe adopt two so I can get a bigger stroller and larger ice box.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    You can thank my Dad, Robert J. Weaver (1917-1994) for taking these pictures and writing the dates and locations on the slides.

I don't know if I will find any more from 1956. If I do, I'll post them in this thread. If you're interested, subscribe to this thread and you'll receive a notice if and when it is updated.
    Ok. Here is my castle shot, taken this last Sunday, for comparison...

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Found a couple more from Aug. 27, 1956. On this one, my Dad wrote, "Outside Fantasyland"

Here's another one I took, also on last Sunday...

I didn't realize you wanted to see other comparison shots. If I can this weekend I'll stop by the park and take a few other shots to see how things have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    For those who may think strollers, or even double-wides, are a fairly-recent phenomenon:

A better question is what are those huge "things" by the kids. They look possessed!!!

[QUOTE=Bob Weaver;1056217611]Really sad that parents would force their baby to suffer the rigors of going to Disneyland before they are old enough to understand or appreciate the place, just so the parent can have a "priceless moment" - that's not love, that's simply using your child.

That is a sort of judgmental statement. I have a 4 month old that I take to Disney from time to time. She gets really excited over the colors on It's A Small World. We ride a couple of rides (sometimes one) and leave. It is good for her to get outside and spend some time with Dad. She giggles and we have a great time. Sure, we could go out in the backyard and laugh, but Disney World IS my backyard. And we have a grand time.

Spend less time judging and more time at Disney!

Now more of these great pictures!

• Artistic integrity

I break it down to two parent types.

Some have a bond so tight ... they take the chance that the crazy theme park environment will be alright.

And those who would rather not take the chance that the theme park environment will be a little too much for their extreme youngens, and simply wait till they are old enough to appreciate it.

I call it "Less Judgmental" .. and more of a fair observation between the two parent types.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Bob - I just found this thread, and like so many others have said, the whole thing is amazing.

On August 27, 1956 - I would have been two months and seven days old.

The first visit I remember was probably circa 1960 - these pictures bring back a lot of memories.

Thank you!

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Ok. Here is my castle shot, taken this last Sunday, for comparison...

Oh man. Comparing the old and the new.. that pink is just plain awful and sooo pink. IMHO. I think I knew this before, but seeing it here now I had to comment. Thanks for the pictures guys. A fantastic thread.
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Walt didn't have enough high-priced executives on his payroll to populate a small town.

Walt didn't run every creative decision through more committees than the Pentagon uses to sign off on a battleship.

Walt hired people like Bob Gurr, who designed and built an entire Monorail system in less time than today's Disney takes to decide on a new paint job.

The executives who ran Disneyland for Walt were Disney company lifers who had worked their way up from the bottom at the Park, not a revolving-door parade of professional suits who'd never been to Disneyland in their lives.

Walt's Disney Company didn't have enough bureaucratic waste to finance another company.

Walt didn't suck Disneyland dry to finance the rest of his company.

Walt didn't pay himself the 1956 equivalent of a $30 million dollar a year compensation package.

Walt said, "Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role," and built it for everyone. Eisner and Iger's philosophy is that Disneyland is a consumer marketing channel for the promotion of Disney franchise brands, targeted to specific segments of the child demographic.

Walt measured success in more ways than just numbers on a spreadsheet.

May I add that with the coupon book, the park could make more money from fewer people, as essentially you paid for each ride individually

I just don't believe that a 1-year-old is going to get anything out of going to Disneyland, and just hold back the rest of the family. Doesn't anyone hire babysitters any more?
    I pity you and any children that may have the misfortune of being born to you if you can't see the joy of interacting with a small child. Just because a young child won't remember the visit doesn't mean they can't enjoy it while they are there. Children learn about themselves and the world around them by being out there. Not by being kept in a box until 'they are old enough to remember it' just for the sake of 'not holding back the rest of the family'. Sharing your world with the child you chose to bring in to this world, guiding, teaching, sometimes crying and often laughing is NOT selfishness on the parents part. It is called good parenting.

Pretty sure Walt's initial message was to welcome all, not just crotchety self-entitled curmudgeons.

Aside from this negative opinion, this is a fabulous thread.

• A Weather Eye Open

I'm sorry to bump an old thread, but it's a goodie! I had to post so that it would go onto my watched threads list. I'm in love with your old photos, thanks for sharing Bob!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011