Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: DL in 1956

Re: DL in 1956

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I miss the swans that would glide by silently; they added an element of grace, beauty and life to the moat that is impossible to duplicate any other way. How much would it really cost them to have swans again?

Anyway I'll still keep looking for old slides and any I find from 1956 I'll post in this thread. If I find the ones from 1965 I'll start a new thread for those. Thanks everyone for your comments.
    I miss the swans too! Such a "little" thing, yet so "big" in its enhancement of the space. And yes, it certainly could not be that much of an expense.

Thank you, Bob, for your wonderful pictures!

• Some imagination, huh?

I miss the swans that would glide by silently; they added an element of grace, beauty and life to the moat that is impossible to duplicate any other way. How much would it really cost them to have swans again?
    Waitwaitwait...the swans are gone??? Since when?!

• Vroom, vroom!

what I find funny is that there was a place called the Space Bar....
    Look at your key board and wonder, was it an intentional pun?
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

• Minion

Found a few more, this is probably it for today. These are mostly Kodachrome slides and they do require some color adjustments and some elimination of dust and scratch marks. But they have kept their color pretty well considering it's over 50 years ago.

August 27, 1956 was my sister's 10th birthday party and they were living in Santa Ana at the time. The day started at the house:

Then they moved on to Disneyland. Here is the queue for Peter Pan; my sister is in the blue dress:

My sister is shown holding the gun at Fort Wilderness on Tom Sawyer Island:

I also came across a commercial Pana-Vue slide, which you could buy in sets, so I thought I would include it, although it's probably been seen here before. Obviously from 1967 or later.

If I find any more from the 1956 trip I will post them in this thread. If I find any from 1965 I will start a new thread for those. Thanks for reading!

Wow great pictures!

• Minion

I just noticed, in the Peter Pan photo you can see a couple of the girls holding their ticket books, and in the Fort Wilderness photo they are holding what appear to be guide books.

• Seeker of Fun

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    Oh my god....what was Walt thinking....there is no shade. ;-)
    Gives me hope for DCA.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Seeker of Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey's Girl View Post
    I have a photo of my mom at the park in 1958. All of the women have on long skirts. Except my mother who was wearing short shorts. 2" inseam. Sleeveless cotton blouse. I think the neighbors all talked, but she had great legs!
    Do you have any pictures of your Mom??
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

It's amazing how sparsely crowded the park was, one year after opening. If crowds were like that on a Monday in August today, the suits immediately would shut the place down or at the very least scale back operations immensely. How is it that Walt could be successful and make money off of so few guests in 1956 but if the park had crowds like that today it would be considered a failure?

But aside from all that these pictures really bring out the traditional Disney magic. I love them!

• Cleared for the option

I just noticed, in the Peter Pan photo you can see a couple of the girls holding their ticket books, and in the Fort Wilderness photo they are holding what appear to be guide books.
    I noticed in the Peter Pan pic you can also see a couple in the background waiting to be the last riders!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    How is it that Walt could be successful and make money off of so few guests in 1956 but if the park had crowds like that today it would be considered a failure?
    Walt didn't have enough high-priced executives on his payroll to populate a small town.

Walt didn't run every creative decision through more committees than the Pentagon uses to sign off on a battleship.

Walt hired people like Bob Gurr, who designed and built an entire Monorail system in less time than today's Disney takes to decide on a new paint job.

The executives who ran Disneyland for Walt were Disney company lifers who had worked their way up from the bottom at the Park, not a revolving-door parade of professional suits who'd never been to Disneyland in their lives.

Walt's Disney Company didn't have enough bureaucratic waste to finance another company.

Walt didn't suck Disneyland dry to finance the rest of his company.

Walt didn't pay himself the 1956 equivalent of a $30 million dollar a year compensation package.

Walt said, "Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role," and built it for everyone. Eisner and Iger's philosophy is that Disneyland is a consumer marketing channel for the promotion of Disney franchise brands, targeted to specific segments of the child demographic.

Walt measured success in more ways than just numbers on a spreadsheet.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-26-2010 at 03:45 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Dude.. that kid had an awesome pair of red pants and shoes! O.o

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by mr wiggins View Post
    walt didn't have enough high-priced executives on his payroll to population a small town.

Walt didn't run every creative decision through more committees than the pentagon uses to sign off on a battleship.

Walt hired people like bob gurr, who designed and built an entire monorail system in less time than today's disney takes to decide on a new paint job.

The executives who ran disneyland for walt were disney company lifers who had worked their way up from the bottom, not revolving-door professional suits.

Walt's disney company didn't have enough bureaucratic waste to finance another company.

Walt didn't suck disneyland dry to finance the rest of his company.

Walt didn't pay himself the 1956 equivalent of a $30 million dollar a year compensation package.

Walt said, "disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role," and built it for everyone. Eisner and iger's philosophy that disneyland is a consumer marketing channel for the promotion of disney franchise brands, targeted to specific segments of the child demographic.

Walt measured success in more ways than just numbers on a spreadsheet.

EXACTLY!

-sigh
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

I don't think profit was Walt's only motivator or even his primary motivator. As an artist and creative type himself, the act of creation was likely just as fulfilling, maybe even more fulfilling to him than whatever profits were made. If profit was the only motivating factor, the park would probably never have been built. Investors were highly skeptical and Walt made a deal with the ABC TV network; without that deal the park probably wouldn't have been built. There's a nice article with some rare photos and artwork here: The Construction of Disneyland

• Minion

It was a big deal for me and my sister when dad and mom let us carry our own ticket books. We were very very careful not to lose the book and we never did. Now, me and my wife let our daughter had her passport over to the entrance CM and my daughter glows when the CM smiles and tells her to have fun. Looks like that girl has a very tight grip on her ticket book.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast