Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Back of the Carsland Rockwork

There has been alot of people who have speculated that the back of the carsland rockwork is going to be a flat wall. This is most likely the case..I found this photo of a possible solution i think they should utilize. It is a type of flat faux rock wall that is being constructed along the 91 freeways near corona california against the hillsides. i think this would work brilliantly on the back side of the carsland rockwork especially if it had some trees as well. What do you guys think??

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Re: Back of the Carsland Rockwork

Disney should do that instead of another wall like the one in Hollywood Backlot.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Here's an idea, how about theming the backside like they did the front?

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post

they'll do it if you can find the extra space....

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by lahabiel69 View Post
    they'll do it if you can find the extra space....
    You're telling me that out of their huge plot of land they can't spare 30 feet of room? I find that highly unlikely. Personally I'm of the belief that they shouldn't have even attempted this if they can't do it right.

• The Dudester

Am I the only one who thought all along that it would be weird to see big rocks ascending from behind the wharf or pier? I was concerned about that long ago, when I first realized how high these rocks were going. The thought of being at a beachside boardwalk with desert rocks in the background seemed odd to me. So in that sense I'm happy that they may not look exactly like the rocks will within Radiator Springs.

That being said, I also hope it's not just a bare wall, or something equally as awkward.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what they do!

• Light up the HALO!

I think that's a great idea.
    Last edited by junglecskipper; 08-28-2010 at 12:20 AM.
    As we say to the animals, that's the end of the lion.

RACE THROUGH THE UNIVERSE, CAREEN THROUGH THE STARS.

Space Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by LLCMC View Post
    Am I the only one who thought all along that it would be weird to see big rocks ascending from behind the wharf or pier? I was concerned about that long ago, when I first realized how high these rocks were going. The thought of being at a beachside boardwalk with desert rocks in the background seemed odd to me. So in that sense I'm happy that they may not look exactly like the rocks will within Radiator Springs.
    Desert rocks, no. Seaside cliffs, yes.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

At the D23 Expo I asked the imagineer at the RSR exhibit this exact same question. I was told that the city of Anaheim does not want a blank wall on the opposite side of the rockwork as this will be easily seen from outside the park. It will be detailed, perhaps not as detailed as inside the park, but it will be detailed enough to not be an eyesore.

Everyone knows thats the ideal scenario...I was saying if it turned out being a flat wall like everyone is saying, it would look better like this.

You're telling me that out of their huge plot of land they can't spare 30 feet of room? I find that highly unlikely.
    That would make Carsland itself smaller. Either that or get rid of the parade building and service road, but those are both used for stuff. But I would have liked vertical seaside cliffs, though.

• Disney Fanatic

Red Face Re: Back of the Carsland Rockwork

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    At the D23 Expo I asked the imagineer at the RSR exhibit this exact same question. I was told that the city of Anaheim does not want a blank wall on the opposite side of the rockwork as this will be easily seen from outside the park. It will be detailed, perhaps not as detailed as inside the park, but it will be detailed enough to not be an eyesore.
    But isn't that for the side that faces out into the street not into the park?
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
    -Aristotle

Next Trip in 2012 to see the final product

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by kibia16 View Post
    But isn't that for the side that faces out into the street not into the park?
    Possibly. But I wouldn't think Disney would build the portion on the wall facing inside the park to be less themed than the portion facing the street.

• Sock Puppet

You're telling me that out of their huge plot of land they can't spare 30 feet of room? I find that highly unlikely. Personally I'm of the belief that they shouldn't have even attempted this if they can't do it right.

dont know if you've noticed... but the Disneyland Resort is Landlocked....
    as much as we all wish that everything would be perfect, this is still the real world, no matter how much we wish it were fantasy.

trust if the extra space was taken to detail the backside of the wall eventuall people will complain about that as well.. face it people will Complain about anything. if you put a little thought into it im sure you can find something clever to put on the wall.... btw...

on that "Huge" plot of land, they gotta fit

-Restrooms
    -Multipule Resturaunts
    -Multipule Stores
    -3 New Attractions and their Ques...
    -Emergency / Maintnace road around the new land
    -Basic Backstage needs-Restrooms/lockers

and they still gotta figure out how to fit all that in without making seem like downtown Mumbai

so my apoligizes if they opted for a wall instead of a elborate cliffside that only people driving by will see.....

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by lahabiel69 View Post
    so my apoligizes if they opted for a wall instead of a elborate cliffside that only people driving by will see.....
    Well, the problem is the stuff visible from inside the park, not outside. I assume there will be more steel going up for the rockwork, but the stuff that's up right now isn't visible from outside the park. It's the big flat walls that are visible from Paradise Pier and the Pacific Wharf area that are the concern. These will very much be part of the onstage experience, and the question is how they will be incorporated into it all.

I still like my idea - paint them as very realistic mountains in the distance, typical of the mountains you'd see on the California horizon. The skyline is actually quite convincing, which has me wondering if they might be planning something like this. This idea has the benefit of not requiring a three-dimensional surface - distant mountains appear completely flat, aside from the depth cues provided by the shading on them, which can easily be painted on. To me, this seems like the most cost-effective and visually appropriate solution, but I'll be interested to see how Disney handles it in reality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast