• =)

Interesting quotes about developing Indiana Jones

Hey all! So, I was reading through a leaked transcript of a conversation between George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Lawrence Kasdan about the development of Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Indiana Jones mythos as a whole. In the process, I came across some quotes that y'all might find interesting, regarding the first scene in the Peruvian temple:

LUCAS: We had it first where he sees the light and he tosses a thing in it, a stick, and these giant spikes come out and go...

SPIELBERG: When the spikes come out and go like that, there should be remains, skeletal remains skewered on some of them, of victims that have been there before. It's kind of like one of those rides at DisneyLand.
    And later...

SPIELBERG: The place should be like a real horror ride, like a DisneyLand ride. Once you're committed to going into that cave, there's seismic rumblings all the time, and stalagmites and things going drip, drip. It's going to really be a sound experience going through that cave.
    And then...

SPIELBERG: What we're just doing here, really, is designing a ride at DisneyLand.
    (The capitalized L in "Disneyland" is from the transcript...don't blame me!)

I found these comments very interesting - even as they were developing the first scene for the first movie, before they'd even started on a script or anything, they already acknowledged that this sort of environment would fit in a Disney park. Perhaps it shouldn't be a surprise that the overall atmosphere of the actual Indy attraction is inspired so much by that very scene.

Anyway, just felt like sharing. I'd strongly recommend reading that transcript to anyone interested in how these filmmakers came up with such an excellent film that eventually led to such an excellent attraction.
    Last edited by Datameister; 08-30-2010 at 11:20 PM.

• ---------------

Re: Interesting quotes about developing Indiana Jones

Very cool. Thanks for posting!
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• I'm not really here

That is awesome Data... thanks for sharing that.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Whip cracker

I think I've seen that before. Thanks for sharing!

The ride really is like that scene in the Peruvian temple from Raiders.
    If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones ... and Disneyland

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

This is why the ratroom, or the end of the dart room should have slowly closing door added.

• Closed Account

Data, that's top-notch historic research!

• =)

Haha, I wish I could say it was an intentional find, Steve, but I was really just reading through the document while I ate an ice cream sandwich. But it does shed light on a lot of things.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Haha, I wish I could say it was an intentional find, Steve, but I was really just reading through the document while I ate an ice cream sandwich. But it does shed light on a lot of things.
    The ice cream sandwich was vital. Always have an ice cream sandwich Seriously though, I'm really enjoying reading through this thing.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• wanderlust

Wow, so awesome! Thanks so much for sharing Data, I'm going to read the full transcript now!
    All this has happened before, and it will all happen again. But this time it happened in London. It happened on a quiet street in Bloomsbury. That corner house over there is the home of the Darling family. And Peter Pan chose this particular house because there were people here who believed in him.

• =)

Yeah, it just amazes me how many ideas these guys came up - and a lot of them got used in the second film, as well (e.g. going to Shanghai, jumping out of a plane on a life raft, Indy pulling the fleeing love interest toward him with his whip).

EDIT: Also, it reveals just how many awesome moments from Raiders can be traced back to Lucas, somewhat surprisingly. It's also making me think about how much the style of each film affects my perception of it - these ideas for Raiders and Temple of Doom originated around the same time, and they're pretty similar in quality, but some of them got implemented with incredible style in the former and some of them got implemented in a style I dislike in the latter. Even if all the plot elements had been the same, a Raiders that FELT like the second film probably would have just annoyed me.
    Last edited by Datameister; 08-31-2010 at 08:34 AM.

• Minion

It is why it is such a great partnership between Lucas and Disney! Also while Raiders (indy et al) is a Spielberg film it was a Lucas production and story concept! There is a great DVD of the making of the movies in the Boxset!

• Whip cracker

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    There is a great DVD of the making of the movies in the Boxset!
    It sure is a great DVD! Also on the newer DVD's there are some good extras. The Complete Making of Indiana Jones book is a really good book to read. It has lots of info there too.
    If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones ... and Disneyland

• Banned User

George Lucas has always been a better ride developer than a film maker. As proven by Star Tours, Indiana Jones, Captain EO, and Alien Encounter. He would make a boss imagineer!

• We Go On.

Dang. I just ate an ice cream sandwich a half hour ago. Maybe if I had been online, I would have made some amazing discovery.