Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

PeopleMover Replacement Discussed At Coming D23 Event...Mousekateers Make Appearance

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS1hWa31A8M]YouTube - D23's Disney Geek - August 25, 2010[/ame]

According to D23's Disney Geek, there is a possibility that information about a PeopleMover replacement coming to Tomorrowland just might be divulged at D23's Destination D: Disneyland '55 event. This "brand new two-day event illuminates the fascinating history behind Disney's flagship park." Disneyland president, George Kalogridis, will answer questions from those in attendance pertaing to the park's past, present and future.

The ticket price is $125 per individual. For $165, D23's Great Scavenger Hunt (team) will be added on. Click on the D23: The Official Fan Club link below for a ticket purchasing link...
    D23: The Official Disney Fan Club

The date/time is Saturday-Sunday, September 24-25, 2010, from approximately 9am to 10:30pm each day. On the itinerary are panels, presentations and events. The location will be at the Disneyland Resort's Grand Ballroom. Registration will be on Thursday, Sept. 23rd from noon to 9pm, and Friday, Sept. 24th at 7am.

A Mickey mouse Club 55th Anniversary celebration will feature original Mouseketeers Sharon, Doreen, Bobby, Karen, Sherry, Tommy, Cubby and Mary. Mouseketeers sound off now!

To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Banned User

Re: PeopleMover Replacement Discussed At Coming D23 Event...Mousekateers Make Appeara

I wouldn't call this a rumor. All he says is that "Maybe" someone at D23 will mention that people ask about it a lot. That's it.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: PeopleMover Replacement Discussed At Coming D23 Event...Mousekateers Make Appeara

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I wouldn't call this a rumor. All he says is that "Maybe" someone at D23 will mention that people ask about it a lot. That's it.
    The Disney Geek said as much as his superiors allowed him to say. As this is an official Disney site, he would not have brought it up at all unless George Kalogridis has been given permission to discuss it. Thie DL 55th anniversary event is going to be huge...the perfect vehicle to get some excitement going about the ride, while building upon D23 membership good will at the same time.

All rumors are based on speculation that may prove true or untrue. If the qualification of a given rumor depended on absolute fact, there could be no rumors. Intuition based on fact is a valuable tool in a perpetually precarious world.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 08-31-2010 at 07:52 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Comets? Comets!

This has the potential to make me wet my pants

• Artistic integrity

He could have used a thousand other questions that are asked .. but he used that one. So .. it shall be interesting to be tuning into MC around the time of the D23 convention.

But I'm not holding my breath.

They could make an "official announcement" .. and anything could happen afterward to make them change their minds.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Is the peoplemover really that good of a ride?
    Ive never been on it but ive seen videos.
    And I understand the nostalgia behind it for a lot of people, but you sit there and slowly go along a track. Its cool that you go through rides and stuff but I just cant see alot of people being psyched to go on it.
    They wouldnt have replaced it if it was successful. Just like country bears. Everyone swears they love it but when it was here nobody went.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by 006TOE View Post
    And I understand the nostalgia behind it for a lot of people, but you sit there and slowly go along a track. Its cool that you go through rides and stuff but I just cant see alot of people being psyched to go on it.
    They wouldnt have replaced it if it was successful. Just like country bears. Everyone swears they love it but when it was here nobody went.
    The PM was part of the layering and intertwining that Disney, once-upon-a-time, did so well.......that, more than the actual ride itself, is what I miss the most.......same with The SkyWay, The MotorBoats, The KeelBoats, and even The Subs when they were gone..........some attractions provided more to the park than just a ride.

Back in the 90's TL was stripped of all movement......even the Rocket Jets were yanked out(and put on Main Street).....The Peoplemover was the coolest part of that movement.

Imagine if they took Casey Jr. our of Storybookland and just left the track empty...would you miss the actual riding of Casey Jr. or would you miss what it adds to that part of the Park more than the ride?
    Last edited by sleepyjeff; 08-31-2010 at 09:39 AM.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Everyone swears they love it but when it was here nobody went.
    You've got to be careful with your sweeping generalities here. There are quite a few people on here (myself included) who considered The Country Bears a must-hit attraction every time we visited the park.

Yes, the Peoplemover has a lot of nostalgia behind it as being revolutionary for its time, but it was also a great "people-eater" so-to-speak using a large THC (theoretical hourly capacity) while affording fantastic views of the park. Florida's version always has a line queued up whenever I visit because it is a great relaxing trip; the alternative to sitting on a bench somewhere in the park to take a load off. No, it is not the thrill ride that a lot of people search for in today's theme park, but it still has the potential to be quite popular today.

• Shiver Me Knee Caps

Quote Originally Posted by villagecreator View Post
    You've got to be careful with your sweeping generalities here. There are quite a few people on here (myself included) who considered The Country Bears a must-hit attraction every time we visited the park.

Yes, the Peoplemover has a lot of nostalgia behind it as being revolutionary for its time, but it was also a great "people-eater" so-to-speak using a large THC (theoretical hourly capacity) while affording fantastic views of the park. Florida's version always has a line queued up whenever I visit because it is a great relaxing trip; the alternative to sitting on a bench somewhere in the park to take a load off. No, it is not the thrill ride that a lot of people search for in today's theme park, but it still has the potential to be quite popular today.
    I have to agree with Toe here....I liked Country Bears but always wished it was a ride instead. Was it better than Pooh? yes but it was USUALLY empty in it's later years....the theater was rarely half full when we'd see it...kind of like the Great Moments theater....

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Dick O Dell View Post
    I have to agree with Toe here....I liked Country Bears but always wished it was a ride instead. Was it better than Pooh? yes but it was USUALLY empty in it's later years....the theater was rarely half full when we'd see it...kind of like the Great Moments theater....
    A victim of its' own capacity(it cycled a lot of people) and the AP program more than it not being a worthy attraction I'd say.

• Senior Minion

Yep. It was. A v2 would be even better.

Videos are no substitute for the experience of riding the PeopleMover.

And I understand the nostalgia behind it for a lot of people, but you sit there and slowly go along a track.
    Again, videos are no substitute for the experience of riding the PeopleMover.

Its cool that you go through rides and stuff but I just cant see alot of people being psyched to go on it.
    Maybe you can't see people being psyched to go on it because you don't know what it was like?

They wouldnt have replaced it if it was successful.
    Yep. They certainly would have -- and did. They closed all kinds of good stuff, because they were cheap.

Just like country bears. Everyone swears they love it but when it was here nobody went.
    Nope. The PeopleMover was not anything like the Country Bears.

Check the many threads from people who want the PeopleMover to return. You'll see that nearly everyone wants PeopleMover v2 -- an update (note, update, not thrill ride) of the original (note, not a clone of the original itself).

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-31-2010 at 09:59 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by villagecreator View Post
    Thats what i meant when i said everyone here swears they love it. The people on this board are hardcore fans who would ride it everytime. But the general public just wasnt going. Like o dell said the country bears was empty in its later years.
    Do we all love it. yes. do we want it back. yes.
    but thats a handful of people compared to the millions that visit every year.
    An empty show is just wasted space when your running a business like dland.

I love the Peoplemover at WDW. I ride it several times each trip. It's so nice to go on it when you're tired, and you can watch the people below you, and see the attractions go by, and get neat pictures from above. And I think the DL one might be even cooler (it looks longer?), but I didn't go to DL until it was gone.

I would LOVE IT if they brought it back! (And I like the Country Bears at WDW, too. )

• Minion

Thats what i meant when i said everyone here swears they love it. The people on this board are hardcore fans who would ride it everytime. But the general public just wasnt going. Like o dell said the country bears was empty in its later years.
    Do we all love it. yes. do we want it back. yes.
    but thats a handful of people compared to the millions that visit every year.
    and an empty, lifeless track is better?
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Then why are they wasting the space of the Starcade, Tahitian Terrace, Fort Wilderness, The MotorBoat Lagoon, The Cascade Peak area, The Festival of Fools area, etc, etc, etc........

No, sorry, wasting space is not on the Disney radar these days.........the fact of the matter is they wanted to exploit the Pooh out of Pooh and the folks at Disney see no reason to open a new attraction without closing another one........had Pooh been built somewhere else where there was no need to take out an attraction they still would have closed something down because that was the Pressler way

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast