• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Angry DisneySea in California

We almost had it!
    The Neverland Files: DisneySea

We all would have loved this better than California Adventure! Even World of Color would have fit in here because it is water themed! Tower of Terror would probably still be there, I bet Toy Story Mania and Monsters Inc. could find a place in there too. Now I am really, really mad! (Other things that could have gone in here: Grizzly River Run, possibly Expedition Everest, Mickey's Fun Wheel would have to go in for WoC, California Screamin' could go in for older kids and adults, King Triton's Carousel, maybe even Animation Academy!) Share your thoughts on what you think of this.

P.S. I'm sorry if there was already another thread on this, but I just couldn't resist to show the page, rant, and hear what you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• We Go On.

Re: DisneySea in California

Yeah, but it's better that TDR got it. Ours wouldn't have had the money of the Oriental Land Company.

• Banned User

I'm happy with DCA. Disneysea looks great, but it's lacking in attractions and doesn't have a lot of film presence, which is what made me a Disney fan to begin with. I agree WOC would fit there. It is much better BraviSeamo. That show doesn't make any sense.

Although...since the article says it would have happened in LB, why not have all three? Why choose? haha

I love DisneySea, but there's a reason Tokyo Disneyland outdraws it in crowds any and every day of the week. It's a great park, excellently themed, but it's not unassailable as some would have you believe.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

Sadly, I belive we'll never see any new amazing Disney Parks stateside again.

although a Disney sea was proposed for Long Beach it would have been very diferent than what was built in Tokyo. I did not look at the article but if it is accurate than i am sure that it also mentioned that the Disney Sea proposed for Long Beach had a section that would have been almost identical to Paradise Pier built in DCA.

In other words they did build part of the original concept for the Long Beach Disney Sea here in Anaheim. DCA ended up becoming a mix of that proposed park as well as Disney America which were both beautifully designed. The problem was execution and budget cuts which destroyed some very unique ideas

• WDW CP Spring 2013

Don't be so angry that we didn't get DisneySea. I feel like it would probably built on the cheap like DCA. Hell, OLC could have done DCA as their second gate and I'm sure it would've been amazing.

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    although a Disney sea was proposed for Long Beach it would have been very diferent than what was built in Tokyo. I did not look at the article but if it is accurate than i am sure that it also mentioned that the Disney Sea proposed for Long Beach had a section that would have been almost identical to Paradise Pier built in DCA.

In other words they did build part of the original concept for the Long Beach Disney Sea here in Anaheim. DCA ended up becoming a mix of that proposed park as well as Disney America which were both beautifully designed. The problem was execution and budget cuts which destroyed some very unique ideas
    Well said Baloo. I remember reading the Long Beach DisneySea articles in the newspaper when it was first released to the media as a concept. It would have been quite different, but the Paradise Pier concept seems to be a rather straight lift, at least at first (Tokyo obviously didn't get the giant aquarium globes in the linked concept art, but they did get Mount Prometheus ... we got the Pier section). If I recall correctly, the pier concept was also found in the DisneyAmerica art as a "state fair" area.

Disney has been trying to put in a pier/carnival area for years now ... and for good reason ... the rides are fun! And if it was done extremely well on the theme side, it would have been a great fit in any park. And remember ... inclusion of the pier idea was before Disney started budget-slashing its parks (for DisneySea Long Beach, it was before the Euro DL fiasco). That and WestCOT showed that, at the time, Disney was ready to spend some serious funds in the Southland.

Baloo is exactly right in saying that there were nothing wrong with the themes ... including what DCA originally had planned ... before the budgets. If you get a chance, read up on some articles on original concepts and concept art for DCA. The Hollywood section, in particular, seemed quite stunning. Not only would SuperStar Limo have been a much better experience ... but it would have been housed in a detailed, scale replica of the Theme Building at LAX. Articles on original plans for Sunshine Plaza (including a HUGE spire/compass that would have served as the park's 150-foot icon) and Golden State (including larger sub-districts such as Pacific Wharf and Golden Vine Winery) are equally impressive. While I never saw any articles on the original Paradise Pier plans, I doubt the plan was what we ended up with.

Just thank God that TDS never recieved a pier area ... there's would have made DCA's look even more garishly hideous.

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana_James View Post
    Don't be so angry that we didn't get DisneySea. I feel like it would probably built on the cheap like DCA. Hell, OLC could have done DCA as their second gate and I'm sure it would've been amazing.
    This is more than likely. Both the WestCOT and DisneySea concepts were presented in 1991, at a time when the company was ALL ABOUT pouring money into theme parks (DL Paris opened in 1992 - and was not a cheap Disney theme park like Hong Kong upon opening - neither was Tokyo DL in 83). Right after DL Paris opened and proved a financial failure, budgets for ALL future theme parks were slashed severely.

When you consider that DCA was presented in 1996, broke ground in 1998 and opened in 2001), if both WestCOT and Long Beach DisneySea were presented in 1991 ... they would have been subject to severe budget cuts, even when it's said the money has been committed to it (like DCA's original plans).

Further evidence, look at these parks before DLP. NONE were built cheaply:

Epcot '82
    Tokyo DL '83
    Disney's MGM Studios '89* *-In defense, this was built to be a half day park originally; the company was up front about that. And it STILL had more than DCA in theme and show)
    Disneyland Paris '92

After Disney Paris:

Disney's Animal Kingdom '98
    Tokyo DisneySea* '01 (infused with OLC money, so this is the exception)
    DCA '02
    Walt Disney Studios Park '02
    Hong Kong Disneyland '05

Never before has Disney built so many parks in such a short span of time ... and for so cheaply!