Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Laughing Place Finder

Cool Darth Mickey and daughter photo trip report from Seattle to DLR & Newport Beach

Here is Part 1 of our photo trip report from Seattle to Disneyland Resort and Newport Beach. Note, these pics are not all in chronoligical order. They are meant to condense five days of traveling into one.

I did this trip on the super-cheap using US Airways frequent flyer miles, Priceline and a good rental car deal through Costco.

Our trip begins at SEATAC airport for the 2:30 flight to Phoenix. Frequent Flyer miles means that I had to take one of the few non-direct flights between Seattle and the So Cal area. So we flew from SEA to PHX (About 2.5 hours) and then PHX to John Wayne Airport - SNA (About 1 Hour).

Great views of Mt Rainier right after take-off!

This was followed by some great views of the Grand Canyon about 2 hours later

Here is our hotel. The Holiday Inn & Suites on Walnut. You can see the Mickey & Friends Parking structure next door. Great deal at $38 per night on Priceline. My Holiday Inn Priority Club card even got me a Kids Eat Free coupon for all meals at their restaurant.

The hotel had recently been renovated and it looked great. Here's the lobby and restaurant entrance.

Snazzy Downtown Disney Alamo rental car for $15 per day.

Time to drive over to the parking garage.

Tram time!

Are we here in time for park opening!?!?!

Ariel was out around the castle in her seafoam dress

After a quick ride on Peter Pan it was over to Alice in Wonderland. We always make sure we appreciate the Disneyland rides that don't exist in Florida and this ride has so much heart to it. (No pun intended)

WHhooooooooo RRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Uuuuuuuuuuuuu????

Here's the view up top with the new railings

BEHOLD! THe wondrous sight that is.... THE SECRET BATHROOM!!

Note that it even has its own high-powered air-conditioner!

Sunday morning park opening saw that Murphy was out for a post-mortem after the failure the night before.

For those of us that are used to being stepped on, bumped into or run over in the gridlock of New Orleans Square and the Indy queue here are some beautiful sights. This is one of the glorious benefits of waking up in time for park opening on a late summer Sunday.

Here is a pretty decent panoramic shot covering the Rivers of Amercia waterfront

Part 2 to come later....
    Last edited by Darth Mickey; 09-03-2010 at 09:40 AM.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

Re: Darth Mickey and daughter photo trip report from Seattle to DLR & Newport Beach

LOVE your trip report! Probably because we're both from WA so I'm partial to loving your pictures

Your daughter is a doll...said it before but I have to say it again!
    Next DL trip is in 2 WEEKS!!!!!

• Now's when my life begins

Re: Darth Mickey and daughter photo trip report from Seattle to DLR & Newport Beach

Looks like you guys had lots of fun! Its always so crowded when I go, but for you, it looks practically empty! I can't wait for the rest!
    Rapunzel: I have made the decision to trust you.
    Flynn Rider: A horrible decision really.

• Wishing upon a star....

Looks like a great Daddy/Daughter trip! Can't wait to see more. Thanks for sharing.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Can't wait to see the Newport Beach pics!

• Nerd

Great trip report. Thanks!!!
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Those are some spectacular shots from the plane. Can't wait for part 2!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Minion

Great Trip Report! I'd might take those Alice pics down.. because well some mice chatters might get a little upset! But Great Trip Report!!!

• Laughing Place Finder

Quote Originally Posted by snowwhite9011 View Post
    LOVE your trip report! Probably because we're both from WA so I'm partial to loving your pictures

Your daughter is a doll...said it before but I have to say it again!
    Thanks so much SnowWhite9011. I couldn't agree with you more about my little monkey-toes princess. She gives me good cover to hide my Disneyland obsession and that keeps me young.

Here is Part 2 of my photo trip report including Splash Mountain and Newport Beach goodness:

Here's the clock across from Peter Pan by Dawn's Early Light

There's always time for Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. You gotta love a Disneyland original. Especially since the WDW Florida version is history. It's a shame I never had a chance to ride that one. It would have been neat to see the two different set of tracks and scenes.

My daughter finally managed to track down Princess Tianna for a meet and greet. We had seen her musical revue several times but never had the good fortune to get some face-time with her.

Over the last 2 1/2 years my daughter, currently turning 9, has slowly but surely been conquering her ride fears one by one. In terms of babysteps she fitrst had to deal with her fear of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Thankfully Grandma Pat in Fantasyland put her under her spell and she fell in love with it.

Next came her fear of Alice in Wonderland. Don't ask me why she was afraid of it, I can't explain. But two years ago she conquered that ride as well. After that she finally bit her lip and summoned the courage to face her darkest fear: The Matterhorn. She fell in love with that ride too!

Last February she finally forced herself into riding Big Thunder Mtn in Orlando and it quickly became the only ride she wanted to spend her time on. In April she decided she loved the Anaheim version of Big Thunder even more.

However through all this, try as she might, she could not overcome the sound of the screaming riders on Splash Mountain. The Youtube videos of the ride, the fun songs and cute characters all had her really wanting to ride it but the sight of that drop and the sounds of those screams always made her break out into an anxiety attack whenever we got near that ride.

On the first night of our trip we walked over to Splash Mountain and the line was down to the point where you could walk on and 3 of every 4 logs was empty. My daughter found her inner courage and went for it and this was the result:

SHE LOVED THIS RIDE SOOOOOO MUCH! She made me ride it at least 5 times each day and had the most wonderful time! (Especially once she figured out that the front seat is the one that gets drenched!)

Before long she had her arms in the air like she just don't care!

"Don't you go to the Laughin' Place!
    You must bewaaaaare!
    The Fox is theeeeeerrrre!!"

So... you're lookin for a Laughin Place eh??

She got off the ride laughing and then as a joke walked over to the measuring post and asked "Daddy, do you think I'm tall enough to ride this?" LOL

Here we are safely in the dry part of the log

Surely that kind of bravery deserves a Tigger Tail treat right?

Since I like my daighter to remember that there's more to So Cal than just Disneyland I took her to my own particular Laughin Place over at Newport Beach. We parked over at 32nd Street and walked over to meet friends and family at the 38th Street beach.

Here are some cute homes and interesting sights along the way:

My daughter was particularly impressed by this party pad"

Mmmmmmm Swimming at Newport Beach. This was Saturday Aug 28, 2010 so we missed out on Murphy the Dragon's meltdown that night.

You'd never know from our smiles that the water temp was about 59-60 degrees F. It took about 45 minutes to get used to it but after that we had the most amazing time ever!

Not bad for wading around in the surf with a cheap Sanyo non-waterproof camera eh?

A quick change of clothes into her favorite princess dress and back to Disneyland!

She almost has her curtsey down pat

MMmmmmm Mr. Toad!

It's the world famous "Backside of The Castle!"

I hope you enjoyed this installment. Stay tuned for Part 3 tomorrow.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

• Cleared for the option

Love your pics. I'm going to have you plan my next trip with prices like that!

• Laughing Place Finder

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoobones View Post
    Love your pics. I'm going to have you plan my next trip with prices like that!
    OK thanks! That's not a bad idea. By now I've had plenty of experience planning these trips on just about all ends of the price and quality scale around Disneyland.

I'm more than happy to assist anyone who'd like trip planning advice. Feel free to use me as a sounding board.

• ~Livin' in a cats world~

I love your pics! And I must say, your daughter is a doll!

• wishing upon a star :)

I couldn't stop smiling while I was looking at this Your daughter is beyond adorable and it looks like you guys had an amazing time!!! I absolutely loved the pictures too!! Can't wait for part 3!!

Absolutely loving it!! Great pictures looks like you all had a wonderful time!!! Thanks for posting...we wil be in Disneyland in 8 days for our anniversary and it is nice to have a wonderful trip report to help me get through these anticipation filled days!
    Vacation...Counting Down the Days...Disneyland Here I Come

• waitin' to board

Laffite's Landing.............yea I wish...currently about 700 miles away unfortunately.

Nice pics.....Really like the empty NO Square...Thanks for posting.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast