Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

•   

Re: Forgotten Disney movie that'd make a sweet attraction

Totally agree with Sambo! Let's not let the kiddies miss out on the films the rides are based on. Song of the South is no more racist or racially denegrating than many of other films and music videos that have been released in the past decade. Let it out of the vault, Disney!

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    i heard this was racist but i've no idea why. I dn't even know this was a movie. but it's on youtube tho
    People think it is racist just because it makes it look like African Americans were happy as slaves. It is a really stupid reason though in my opinion. It's just telling the stories of Brer Rabbit. And Uncle Remus was a real person who was a slave who did made the stories of Brer Rabbit. So he was the one that could help narrate the stories in the movie, but him singing Zip A Dee Doo Dah as a slave got a lot of people mad for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    People think it is racist just because it makes it look like African Americans were happy as slaves. It is a really stupid reason though in my opinion. It's just telling the stories of Brer Rabbit. And Uncle Remus was a real person who was a slave who did made the stories of Brer Rabbit. So he was the one that could help narrate the stories in the movie, but him singing Zip A Dee Doo Dah as a slave got a lot of people mad for some reason.
    Many people miss one piece of key data - he was not a slave when he sang Zip A Dee Doo Dah. Historically he was recently made a free man. The movie takes place not during slavery, but in that uncomfortable time just after emancipation where former slaves often had a choice - leave and be free somewhere else, or continue as a sharecropper. Didn't anyone notice the alleged slaves with packed wagons, or the ease with which our protagonist could just pack his sack and leave at one point in the story? It is inconceivable that SLAVES could do that so easily. At least in broad daylight without getting their hides whipped off. (Read or watch ROOTS) It makes more sense in the light of post-slavery beginnings of restoration. To be sure, the attitudes of the white adults with respect to the blacks hadn't undergone any radical transformation, but change had begun and the children in the story were it's manifestation.

Although the first published Uncle Remus story was by a young journalist known as Joe Harris on July 20th 1879 in the Atlanta Constitution as "Story of Mr. Rabbit and Mr. Fox as told by Uncle Remus", this and his subsequent stories were picked up by newspapers and magazines nationally. After thousands of requests for more and for reprints, in November 1880 the first Uncle Remus book was published. Fast forward twenty-four years to the Anne Virginia Culbertson's long out-of-print At the Big House (Bobbs-Merrill, 1904.) This book is yet another telling of the Uncle Remus stories captured inside another story linking them together. This book is the basis of what became the screenplay of Song of the South. Here is the context from that book:

The three children, Ned of ten, Janey of eight, and Kit, the yellow-haired laddie of five, were wild with delight at the prospect of a visit to their uncle on the old plantation where their mother had been reared; for little Kit had never been there, and the others were too young to recollect a former visit. Their mother had married and gone North to live some time before the Civil War. Then came the troubled years of strife, when it was unsafe for her to venture with her little brood into the war-swept, storm-beaten section of southern Virginia where her old home was situated.
    Now, however, the struggle had been over for a year, and she felt a great longing to see home once more, to know what familiar and cherished objects had survived the wreckage of war, and to give her children a glimpse of the old order of things before it should disappear forever. She had told them so much of the place and of her life there, that they felt as if they were going to visit some well-known spot, and in particular were filled with liveliest anticipations of hearing for themselves, and in the proper surroundings, the old darky songs and tales of which she had tried to give them some idea.

In that context - both from the book that was the seed for the movie, as well as the historical time period, post emancipation and beginnings of restoration - the label of "racist" has far less authenticity and value.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    The Horned King/Black Cauldron mythos would work well to anchor a Villains attraction around, as I have said many times before
    Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    Totally agree! Horned King is a true villian!
    this would make me very happy, with all the new advances in technology i could just imagine them bring to life their original vision of having the horned king come to life in front of guests.

If only they would revisit the original and make a new version of it in 3d.

The horned king sould have also been the main character for the villian segment of WOC instead of chernabog

• "CA - CA! RAWRRR!"

From Mulan, the fight scene on the mountain!

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    i heard this was racist but i've no idea why. I dn't even know this was a movie. but it's on youtube tho
    One of the stories does have a tar baby in it. That element is considered pretty racist even by current standards. The story of Brer Rabbit getting stuck in something so Fox and Bear can catch him changes into honey for Splash.

• Nutty about Disney parks

I can definitly see a Rocketeer attraction in the Condor Flats area and perhaps a Dick Tracy attraction in the Hollywoodland area respectively.

• Vroom, vroom!

As cool as it would be to make some of these movies into rides, most of these movies suggested kinda sucked.
    And Im not saying that I dont like them, Im just saying that they were box office flops.
    the one that I am amazed wasnt suggested yet is the watcher in the woods.
    now that movie, Scared the crap outa me as a kid.
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

Just a reminder that the most enduring attractions in the park were original creations that dd not rely on a film franchise.
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Haunted Mansion
    Small World
    Jungle Cruise
    Enchanted Tiki Room
    Space Mountain
    Big Thunder Mountain
    even past favorite Country Bears

I would love to see some great new attractions at Disneyland, but I would not want to limit the imagineers by tying there hands to a film

just sayin'

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    Just a reminder that the most enduring attractions in the park were original creations that dd not rely on a film franchise.
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    You mean it was a ride before they made the movie????WOW

For the benefit of relative newcomers to MiceChat, Song of the South spawned several spirited threads years back...but it has been a while.

What remains the same, sadly, is that PC Disney shows no interest in releasing a DVD.
    Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 09-05-2010 at 10:01 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123