Thread: Mission to Mars

• Infinitized!

Mission to Mars

I just made an interesting observation. I was just watching the movie Mission to Mars with Gary Sinise, Tim Robbins and Jerry O'Connell. I realized that it was released by Touchstone, which is owned by Disney. So... is the movie based on the old attraction, just like POTC, Haunted Mansion and Country Bears or not? This is actually one attraction I'd like to see returned in a re-vamped way.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Re: Mission to Mars

Nope. It was to actually be the basis of the Mission: SPACE attraction at Epcot, but when the film flopped, they went with the theme we see today--still hosted by Gary Sinise, however.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa
    This is actually one attraction I'd like to see returned in a re-vamped way.
    Now, I've never been on the original Mission to Mars, but isn't Mission: Space just a new 21st century version of that ride, but obviously more intense.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Incredible
    Now, I've never been on the original Mission to Mars, but isn't Mission: Space just a new 21st century version of that ride, but obviously more intense.
    Mission To Mars was not a ride. It was an attraction in the same sense that WDW's Stitch is today, only much better. Stitch represents a waste of talent, technology and money.

Mission: Space is totally unique with respect to it's combination of virtual film and simulated weightlessness. The Mission To Mars film wasn't really action packed. However the special effects were super, and the story intense. I loved it. Unfortunately, it bombed - as pyrateslife4me stated.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-13-2005 at 10:08 PM.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

You just saw Mission to Mars?? Condolences.

I was embarrassed for everyone involved, especially the extremely talented Mr. Sinise.

And yes, the Mission to Mars attraction was very unique, and wonderful.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    You just saw Mission to Mars?? Condolences.

I was embarrassed for everyone involved, especially the extremely talented Mr. Sinise.

And yes, the Mission to Mars attraction was very unique, and wonderful.
    I admit I actually quite liked it. The problem with science fiction movies such as Mission to Mars is that it doesn't have enough action for most people. Science fiction movies are not action flicks. But people get this notion that there has to be action in it from seeing films such as Star Wars and the Vin Diesel movies Pitch Black and its sequel The Chronicles of Riddick. In my opiion, these type of movies should be filed under fantasy - they really don't touch upon any aspects of science at all. For instance, Gattaca is a good example. Some think it's wierd, some think it's slow, but, if you pay a little bit more attention to this movie and the message it's trying to convey, then you'll realize that it's a whole lot better. Other movies of note are Soylent Green, Planet of the Apes (the original), Blade Runner, and this summer's The Island. Again, the problem with The Island is that there was a number of action sequences that took away from the whole theme of growing clones for body parts (oops a spoiler for anyone that hasn't seen it yet - sorry) and its implications. So next time you watch a movie like Mission to Mars, look at it with an open mind and try to understand what the message is that's its trying to convey. And yes, it did have a message.

With regards to one of the earlier posts on this thread, interesting! so there sort of is a connection between the movie and the attraction.
    Last edited by Barbossa; 11-14-2005 at 12:18 AM.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

sounds like a fun ride!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    sounds like a fun ride!
    It was an interesting show. I liked how they had the screen on the ceiling and on on the floor so you could see where you were going and see the earth disappearing in the distance.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Barbossa, I actually agree with you about science fiction films; in general I much prefer films that I have to think about. But there was just so much that I plain hated about Mission to Mars (the film, not the ride). Too long a list on an empty stomach. Suffice it to say that I went into the theater expecting to see something thoughtful like a modern version of 2001, and left just bewildered with the bizarrely inappropriate music (a theater organ?!~??), the horrendously bad acting on the part of the extras, and the unbelievable and sappy alien story reveal... and when in the ENTIRE story did we EVER get a clue that Sinise's character even remotely wanted to make that final decision?!!!!? Just because he out of the blue says its what he always wanted to do?? Seems like there were some pretty huge problems with the script...

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it. I didn't!

Here are some photos of Mission To Mars Attraction at Disneyland:

http://www.dldhistory.com/gallery.as...&Page=7&ID=491
    --Richard
    http://www.DLDHistory.com
    The Most Unique Disneyland History Site
    Enter micechat for promo-code and save 10%

• Drunken Disneyland Master

I like how the seat went up your butt on Mission to Mars... I mean... not in that way.... ugrh... how do you erase a post again?

• Animatronic

Good ol' Mission to Mars. It was like a hotel vibrating bed without having to pay the quarter.

• Dont make me unfriend you

Mission to Mars at one time was Mission to the Moon. I rememeber going on that ride when I was a kid. Then the ride was "updated" to be Mission to Mars with a new movie and story, but it was basicly the same ride as Mission to the Moon.