Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Loves a tea party!

Re: so tell me about pin trading?

My daughter loves pin trading. She has traded exclusively with cast members so far. Once she found an awesome deal- Epcot country pins at a Disney outlet store for $1 each. She snatched up several and used them for trading. Unfortunately, we have not run into that same deal again.
    It should also be said that certain pins, although otherwise the correct type, will not be accepted for trading. These include pins with names on them. My daughter did have a couple of Best Dad pins or something like that, found at the Disney outlet in Fullerton, CA, and had a harder time trading those out.
    I'm wondering, though, about free pins given out as part of a travel deal or from Disney's Visa Card (which I have). If they say AAA or Disney's Visa Card on them, are they able to be traded? Is there any reason why these should be kept instead of traded out?

• Loves a tea party!

Quote Originally Posted by yfoog
    What is typically at the end of the Lanyards? I've seen some that look like medals. Others that look like a plastic card. They must have all types I guess. Can you trade with CM's all day long, or do they meet in one area and that is the time to trade? I remember when we were there 3 or 4 years ago I would see CM's walking around with Lanyards, covered in pins. I thought they were their own collection, or pins commemorating years of service. If I see CM's walking around can you stop them and try to trade? The kids would love that. I may have to buy them a few to get them started.
    The lanyards are sold with either a plastic card at the bottom or a metal thingy. The plastic card is either cheaper (part of a set) or part of a free give-away.
    CMs are available all over the place at all times with trading lanyards. The best bet is to find them at the pin carts or stores. Other CMs wear them because they want to, but Pin CMs seem to always have them.
    Yes, you can trade with CMs just walking around, but if they're clearly on their way to a break or something, I'd not bother them.
    CMs are required to trade any pin they are displaying on their lanyard as long as they don't have another just like the one you are trying to give them. There is a Pin trading store in Tomorrowland, near where Buzz is (haven't been there in awhile-is it still there?) and they have a special time for kids to come in and learn the basics but they also have the basics of pin trading posted in the store so you can see the "rules" which are good for kids to know (like don't ever touch the pin on the person's body- ask them to take it off for you).
    Last edited by AllisonWonderland; 11-14-2005 at 09:51 AM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by AllisonWonderland
    I'm wondering, though, about free pins given out as part of a travel deal or from Disney's Visa Card (which I have). If they say AAA or Disney's Visa Card on them, are they able to be traded? Is there any reason why these should be kept instead of traded out?
    They have been coming with 50th logo pins or Walt Disney Travel pins. I haven't seen any with the AAA LOGO on them.

When I started revisiting the park, the lanyards came with up to 4 traders of the WDT. Now they only come with one with the Mickey and 50th logo in a blue color. So because it is the 50th logo you may want to keep it and buy some open stock pins as Prizilla suggested.

Each guest has to keep one of those out of the 4.

I was told at the Gag Factory Store, which is where we discovered that we could trade. No other CM told us and no info was given about it, until we went there. They were so gracious to us.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

nice thread, since I'm new to pin trading also, thanks for the info

• Senior Minion

Yeah this is a nice thread I agree. The series I'm trying to complete is the Cast member safety series I almost have them all. it has been fun trying to find them just on trades. Anyone can easily buy them online, but that takes the fun out of it a bit.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

My brother recently sold his pin collection... got about $5000 for it. We went down to Santa Nella on I-5 to make the trade. Can you believe the guy even paid cash for them? After the transaction we sat at Andersons Pea Soup contimplating... humm.. we got $5000, I-5 is right there.. and we can make the park in 5-6 hours...then the thought of what his wife and kids would do to him once they found out made us go back home.

Oogie (who has about 300+ NBC pins that he is thinking about getting rid of)
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Lights on Nobody Home

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    Yeah this is a nice thread I agree. The series I'm trying to complete is the Cast member safety series I almost have them all. it has been fun trying to find them just on trades. Anyone can easily buy them online, but that takes the fun out of it a bit.

DS recently discovered pin trading on our trip. A cast member explained to him not to feel bad about taking the CM's nice pin for one of DS's not so great pin as this....These are not my pins so don't feel bad. These are Mickey's Pins that we wear and they are here for you to trade and enjoy!"

The whole thing turned out to be a positive experience for an 8yr old learning to approach people, strike up a conversation, make his trade and says his thankyous and goodbye. Even if he never looked at the pins again, the iinteraction was priceless!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

We discovered pin trading this most recent trip, but we noticed it prior--we just didn't actually walk in and buy any. But we stayed at DLR for a week and decided to give it a try using our camera strap to see how it worked and purchasing a few cheap pins that we wouldn't mind keeping if it didn't work. We didn't know that the casties HAD to trade, but we decided only to keep to the cast members and see what happened.

We became addicted. We started conversations. We ran into a group of aggressive ones with the books (we had just purchased a Halloween series towards the end of our stay) and they almost ruined it, but we just walked away. But the 'everyday Joes' were the most fun and so was merely meeting the cast members. If you are going to the parks for a few days, I really do recommend doing this for fun. Nah, don't worry about series and such your first time out, just give it a try, see if you like it. If it's a go, then start upgrading. Now we have framed (!, my partner's doing) ones in my office!

It is very fun.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Give Peace a Chance

Here's the link to the Getting Started page of Disney's Official Pin Trading Site: http://eventservices.disney.go.com/p...?id=getStarted

It should help answer many questions for some of the newer traders or those considering taking up the hobby.

I've collected pins for years and only recently slowed down quite a bit ~ due to several reasons. Among them, I realized I had over 2200 pins, they were heavy, (we were moving at the time) and they took up more space than you'd think.

Pin collecting/trading is an enjoyable though expensive hobby. My main suggestion would be to get into it for fun, not profit. However do invest in a Tomart's guide. There are many people out there who will take advantage of an unaware trader. Know your pins and their value.
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! șoș

• Gay Man

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie
    My brother recently sold his pin collection... got about $5000 for it. We went down to Santa Nella on I-5 to make the trade. Can you believe the guy even paid cash for them? After the transaction we sat at Andersons Pea Soup contimplating... humm.. we got $5000, I-5 is right there.. and we can make the park in 5-6 hours...then the thought of what his wife and kids would do to him once they found out made us go back home.

Oogie (who has about 300+ NBC pins that he is thinking about getting rid of)
    Where did he sell his pins and how many did he have?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid
    Where did he sell his pins and how many did he have?
    He put them up on PinPix. He had like 8 large bags full of pins. Some of the pins were rare ones too. Scary part is that he got less than what he paid for all of them.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12