Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

so tell me about pin trading?

I seem to remember reading about trading pins with cast members, that you can go up to one and they will trade for one of the pins you have. Or something like that.

I am really new at pins and really dont know what is good to collect or what to buy.

I only have three extra pins that are dupliucates or that I dont want they are (2) HERCULES Victory parade pins and one Adventure land pin with Goofy from 1987 ( I have a fulll set of 87 entrance pins)

so some one please tell lodown on pins.

Bob

(I leave for DL tuesday afternoon)

• CM for 4 years!

Re: so tell me about pin trading?

Do it for fun, not for money. Like Beanie Babies. If it dies down, you'll have spent a lot of money on nothing. Sometimes it's just fun to have a lanyard of pins that you just like, to wear with you!
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Senior Minion

Tahoe,
    You are right about trading pins with cast members one pin per trade. Sometimes you can get that generous cast member who will let you trade one more.
    From what I was told, majority of pin traders say to collect the Limited Editons. Alot of them use a baseball card trading book to protect the pins and display them if someone wants to trade. I have quite a few pins.
    BigDaddyKyle suggested to me that you find a character or series of 1thru 10 for example those are fun to start with by trading or getting a better price then what the originally sell for. One more note soem castmembers have a Aqua colored lanyard, that means they only trade with kids, which is great because that means the hardcore traders don't get the good pins or pins that aren't as desirable. And yes it is for fun.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

This thread explains a lot. We just received the reservation confirmation letter in the mail. It stated pins and lanyards as part of the package (one for each family member). That's what they must be for. Does Disneyland give the CMs the pins to trade or do the CMs have to buy their own?

• Senior Minion

They get some from the company as well the CM'S also buy their own. Welcome to the Mice Chat yfoog!

It basically is a little of both.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Pirate Girl

If you want the addiction of pin trading(as I have) please visit these websites; pinpics.com and dizpins.com. Pinpics is a site that lists all the pins from all the Disney parks. There are currently over 40,000 listings! Dizpins give you all the pin news you could ever want. Also visit disneypintrading.com. ODPT.com will get you there too. That is the official Disney site. There is a lot to learn. I have been pin trading for 6 years. What is amazing about pinpics is that it will hook you up with traders across the country and world with whom to trade. I go to the Post office about twice a week sending pins to Japan, France, The Netherlands and across the US. If you have any questions most pin traders are at the Plaza Pavillion at DL on Sundays. The first Sunday of the month(pin gift with purchase day) there are the most. I am always there on the first Sun. Have fun and buy what you like. Maleficient, Tinkerbell and Stitch are good traders. And really only buy limited edition pins for trading with other guests. Open stock pins are great for trading with cast members. There are special lanyard pins that are only available on CM lanyards. We LOVE those :-)

I am prillzilla at pinpics and prillville on the dizpins boards. See ya!

Aprille :-)

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    Tahoe,
    You are right about trading pins with cast members one pin per trade. Sometimes you can get that generous cast member who will let you trade one more.
    You can actually trade up to TWO pins per lanyard, per cast member, per day.

From the Official Disney Pin Trading Web site:
    IS IT TRUE DISNEY CAST MEMBERS HAVE TO TRADE THEIR PINS?
    Yes. Cast Members at our Theme Parks and Resorts have to trade their pins displayed on their Company issued lanyards. Guests can make up to two (2) trades per "lanyard," per Cast Member, per day. When trading with Cast Members, Guests should offer a pin that is not already displayed on the Cast Member's lanyard.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Senior Minion

Then somebody better send out a memo, because I've been getting the wrong CM'S. I have had some nicely say only one. Despite the info posted, but good to know.

• Gay Man

Just as a clarification. The only pins that are traded are the cloisonne/metal type pins and they must be copyright Disney. Buttons, plastic pins, etc are not tradable.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    Then somebody better send out a memo, because I've been getting the wrong CM'S. I have had some nicely say only one. Despite the info posted, but good to know.
    I know what you mean. My friend tried to trade a CM once for a Lilo pin and a Monorail pin at the same time, but he declined her for the Monorail pin after he handed over the Lilo pin. We were upset, mostly because we had gotten a pin startup set free with our Paradise Peir Hotel room over the July 17th weekend and it came with a paper with the rules of trading and it said the two-pin rule I posted above. Too bad we didnt have the paper with us while we were trying to get that snazzy Monorail pin! :-\.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Senior Minion

Is that the monorail pin a Magical Milestones? I saw this one recently.

• Infinitized!

How the times change. The big thing on my last trip to Disneyland in '94 were POGs, and now pin trading is in. I too collect pins and probably started around 1993 when I attended a national scout jamboree here in Canada. The last few years my focus has been on railway related pins - mostly museums and operational tourist railways. Usually these attractions are operated by non-profit societies so purchasing a pin helps them out a little bit. I have my pins in a shadow box that can be hung on the wall, and yes there is a Disneyland Railroad pin and a Ghost Town and Calico Railroad pin from Knott's Berry Farm in that same shadow box!

What is typically at the end of the Lanyards? I've seen some that look like medals. Others that look like a plastic card. They must have all types I guess. Can you trade with CM's all day long, or do they meet in one area and that is the time to trade? I remember when we were there 3 or 4 years ago I would see CM's walking around with Lanyards, covered in pins. I thought they were their own collection, or pins commemorating years of service. If I see CM's walking around can you stop them and try to trade? The kids would love that. I may have to buy them a few to get them started.

• Tiki Lover

What is the deal with "cast member exclusive" pins? I went over Halloween and read beforehand on Dizpins that there was a cast member exclusive Halloween pin given out. I asked several cast members and not one knew what I was takling about. Are these given to all cast members or only certain people?

S.T.

• Give Peace a Chance

Quote Originally Posted by Scary Teddy
    What is the deal with "cast member exclusive" pins? I went over Halloween and read beforehand on Dizpins that there was a cast member exclusive Halloween pin given out. I asked several cast members and not one knew what I was takling about. Are these given to all cast members or only certain people?

S.T.
    Yes, Cast Member exclusive pins are just that. Pins exclusively made for cast members. There are Limited Edition CM pins, open edition CM pins and pins that are made and distributed only to CM's who work on certain Holidays (some CM's will part with them, some won't ~ see eBay for examples)
    Cast Member pins can be found on lanyards if you have a good eye, I have traded for several that way, but the CM's should not except them as traders. Also, if a CM is not making a second trade with you it may be because he or she already has the pin you are offering on his or her lanyard.
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! șoș

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast