Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What if Soarin' Over Cali was rethemed w/ "The Rescuers"?

I've been analyzing certain threads and one thing that came across my mind is why certain movies are not fitted into the Disney parks. Now it's understandable that certain movies like The Great Mouse Detective and The Black Cauldron are not put into the parks due to lack of popularity.

In fact, I never even heard of Black Cauldron till I got it on VHS at the age of 9, and even then I was curious as to why I never heard of this movie or why it isn't in the parks.

To get back on subject, if Disney execs ever decided to retheme or change the aspect of Soarin' over California. One of the ideas I came up with to make it appeal with the company is to retheme it with a movie that is considered a Disney classic but is not really regarded by many people.

The Rescuers:

If your not familiar with this movie, it's about a society of mice known as the "Rescue Aid Society" that is directly under the United Nations, one affiliate from Hungary named Bianca is tasked with a mission to save a little orphan girl named Penny from her greedy Aunt Medusa who is holding her hostage until she gets Medusa a diamond known as the "Devil's Eye".

Bianca meanwhile, instead of taking an official agent of the Rescue Aid Society, decides to take the Janitor named Bernard.

Now, how would The Rescuers fit with this type of attraction? Well one of the most well known segments in the movie is when they call upon a colleague named Orville (a seagull) to fly them to the location they are tasked to go to. Then they are taken to various locations, as well as to the sky. It's an unforgettable scene and I think it'd be perfect if Disney wanted to try something new.

The thought of flying while being smaller than life would be breathtaking and a great new experience, as well as Orville's witty humor throughout the attraction.

It doesn't even necessarily need to fit on canon with the concept of the movie taking place in New York, "The Rescuers" could be tasked to another location, they did it with "The Rescuers: Down Under" and they could do it with this ride as well.

I'm ready for all the criticism I'll get and I know a lot of people are probably going to point fingers and say "Why would you want to rip out a popular attraction in favor of retheming it to a movie that is not really well known". I wouldn't dream of getting rid of Soarin' over California, not at all. This is just an idea I came up with the other day and i'd love to hear opinions about it.
    Last edited by Mr. Gaston; 09-05-2010 at 11:47 AM.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Re: What if Soarin' Over Cali was rethemed into "The Rescuers"

I don't know. I haven't seen the movie so I'm not sure I would want it in place of Soarin'.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

Awesome idea................but arent they re-doing the ride to 'Soarin' Over The World'?

Quote Originally Posted by Vamped View Post
    Awesome idea................but arent they re-doing the ride to 'Soarin' Over The World'?
    I have never even heard of that rumor.

• It's a dead man's party!

WHATTTTT? Soarin' over the World? Seriously? :O

I LOVED The Rescuer's as a kid and still do. But I think I'd be more for a water ride resembling Penny's boat thing. It would be fast, fun, but kid friendly. Whenever I think of the seagull, I think of Wilbur from the sequel.
    Ghost Mickey Popcorn Bucket Mission? 10/14/10 SUCCESS! FINALLY!!!!

I would loose my mind. The Rescuers is one of my favorite Disney movies.

• Lighting Design Lover

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

The idea just doesn't work thematically, the Rescuers have nothing to do with California, and I would hate to see any more movie based rides (especially cartoon or Pixar based) then there already are in DCA, and they're are WAY too many.

Besides Soarin' is one of the best rides at DCA in my opinion. I love it, and I'm already sad that they're replacing with new movie, that has less to do with California, a BAD move, and I'm going to miss the beautiful soundtrack on that ride if they change that as well (which I don't see how it would be possible not to).

A good idea in general? Absolutely.

A good replacement for Soarin'? Absolutely not.

Disney has enough rides that are based off of movies; let's let those that aren't based on movies that are extremely successful continue to live on.
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

• Banned User

Nah... Soarin' is one of the rides in DCA I actually like. I do think it needs an update though. Not so much the scenes, but the transitions... have it go up into the clouds and stuff instead of quick cuts that seem to disorient a lot of people.

Soarin' Over the World? That would be cool, but hopefully they would play both the same way Circlevision played America the Beautiful and Great Wonders of China.

A Rescuers movie in that particular building wouldn't feel right to me. All new themeing would be needed. Some might say it would be overkill on the simulators, but putting a new one in Fantasyland that changed the films up would be a nice home for a Rescuers' flight.

i rather have a Rescuers dark ride built in place of the lackluster winnie the pooh attraction at least that movie is filled with critters but i would not like to see it as part of Soarin
    Last edited by Baloo; 09-05-2010 at 02:18 PM.

• Wanna be Sub Mermaid

Quote Originally Posted by ttztotdca50 View Post
    A good idea in general? Absolutely.

A good replacement for Soarin'? Absolutely not.

Disney has enough rides that are based off of movies; let's let those that aren't based on movies that are extremely successful continue to live on.
    I agree. I REALLY love the Rescuers, but I'm skeptical as to how well it would do in replacing Soarin. I would like to see it stay the way it is.

failed, to mention that i would love to see The Black Cauldron coem to life. If they could find a way of integrating it into Paradise Pier it woudl be fine with me. When they were coming up with WOC the Horned King should have been the one character that should have been used insteda of the Chernabog.

i think the chernabog has been used way to much especially when it is already in Fantasmic. A scene with the Horned king would have been awesome. the use of water and projections would have been great to bring the undead to life in Paradise Bay

• Herr Ducktor!

All brainstorming is good, and I certainly don't want to be discouraging. But since you're asking for feedback: sorry, but it doesn't work for me.

The point of SOC--the very thing that gives it its punch--is high-def film imagery. That's what makes it so impressive: cinematography so clear and so huge that it feels immersive. Swap in animation, and you're just watching on a big round screen.

Also, keep in mind that SOC is not a true ride simulator; you don't have any axis of movement or rotation, only a fixed "soaring" impression once lifted into place. The quick cuts on the current film, while jarring, are the only real means of introducing variety. Pull out the "soaring" and "over" components, and it would get very familiar, very quickly.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Soarin' is one of a small handful of NON movie-tie-in Disney attractions that is wildly successful so it's safe to say that this will never happen.

And I dont think Disney execs would waste money on retheming or creating attractions tied to films that have not gained massive popularity or recognition with the current public. With that in mind, The Rescuers would be near the bottom of Disney park franchising. Knowing these suits, they would faster rethemed Soarin' to Up than to The Rescuers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast