Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Earth Intruder

AP Discount Quick Question

This happened to me twice today and has never happened before:

When I went to use my AP discount and my mom used her credit card to pay for my item, the CM told me that I had to use a card with my name on it.

Did this just change? I've done that a million times before at merch and food locations (i.e. flashed my pass and someone else used their card) with no problems. I know CAST MEMBERS aren't supposed to use their discounts in this way, but APs now too?

The AP site says "benefits and discounts are nontransferable" but if I am right there buying the item, what gives? I almost lost it at this woman in the emporium this evening... she could see the daggers in my eyes and gave the discount

Has anyone else either used their discount with another person's card, no problem? Or have people been told this and I've gotten "lucky" in the past?
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• CM for 4 years!

Re: AP Discount Quick Question

Well gosh, if she gave you the discount, she could get in a lot of trouble and could lose her job. Acknowledging discount abuse and still accepting it? Something about that seems sketchy to me, doesn't it seem that way to you?

That discount is for YOU, not everyone else. Or even just your mom.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Namaste and Good Luck

The discount is ONLY good for the person who's face is on the AP. It's in the paperwork you recieve when you get your AP. Not following this rule is discount abuse and I believe your pass could be revoked and the CM would recieve a reprimand as well. In past years we have been pretty lax on it, but it's recently gotten out of hand. I have had AP's from behind someone (who they don't know) try to give the guest in front of them the discount. Uh NO, not in my stores. If I were to use my CM discount and someone else pays for it, then I could be fired. (Yeah, it's true). If you exchange money outside of the store, THEN come in to purchase, that's ok. We can't see money exchange hands. I had someone go off on me Saturday because of that rule, and she wanted to complain...but since it's in writing, then she agreed to that as well, so it would do her no good to complain. Sorry AP's, those are the rules, and the CM's have to follow them.
    Rebel Justin
    Back & Reporting for Duty!

My CM Tenure: 1/11/03 - 5/30/06; 3/5/11-?
    Tomorrowland Stores

• Earth Intruder

So in other words, CMs haven't been enforcing this rule for the past 10 years and suddenly they are. In the past, if someone in your party had an AP, they could flash it and get the discount.

I'm really not talking about letting complete strangers use a discount here.

(What's next... "Sorry, your fastpass is good from 12:00-1:00 and now it is 1:05!!!! Standby for you!"?)

And CMs... no need to get so uppity. I was just asking a question.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

• Man O Lantern

Can't tell you how many times someone has let me use their AP to get a discount for me at meets....never been a problem.

Now that I have an AP, I'll make sure my mom carries cash when she comes with us in December and I'll pretend to pay for her meals. It would be nicer of me to actually pay for her meals....but um, yeah.

So I think it's odd that it's just now being enforced, definitely.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

In 2001, I used my CM and AP discounts and had other people paying in my party and it was never a problem. Then in September, the same thing that happened to Cherny happened to us. We talked the CM into letting us use the AP discount, but she said she could get fired for doing it. I was baffled as to why that was. For the rest of the trip my sister paid for everything and I paid her back.

It does seem inconvenient at the very least that they should start enforcing it now after so many years of not caring one way or the other.

And I second the chill outs to the CM's We are not trying to get you in trouble, just trying to figure out what the policy was. If it was that obvious, there wouldn't be confusion about it, now would there.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Still wants to be a cat!

I've usually only use my AP discount for myself, but on several occasions, Wolfette has been there paying with her own cash, flashed mine (she only has a deluxe) and no problem. Could be since she is a child and obviously with me they let it slide. But I can see why they might refuse that also. Will be careful....I'll have Wolfette pay me first and take it from there. Don't want to embarass anyone involved.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• My Children's Father

Perhaps this is now a much more important issue to the Company since AP discounts were recently expanded, and the number of non-AP guests has probably gone up due to the 50th. Looking at it from the Company's point of view, an improper discount "steals" from the profits right off the top. An increase in profits of 10%, even 5%, would be huge .....
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda
    An increase in profits of 10%, even 5%, would be huge .....
    Penny wise, pound foolish.

Is there a purpose to pi$$ing off your most ardent fans? Isn't Disney supposed to be known for their wonderful customer service? They DO understand that lots of times people are only buying an item BECAUSE they know they're getting a discount on it, right? (With or without the AP discount, Disney is making a VERY hefty profit).

APs spend a lot of money there at the parks, and I HAD thought that the whole "CM/AP" rift was dissolving.... perhaps I am wrong about that past point.

OK so maybe I should have titled this thread "Ap Discount Not So Quick Question".

• GO DBACKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    Is there a purpose to pi$$ing off your most ardent fans? Isn't Disney supposed to be known for their wonderful customer service? They DO understand that lots of times people are only buying an item BECAUSE they know they're getting a discount on it, right? (With or without the AP discount, Disney is making a VERY hefty profit).

APs spend a lot of money there at the parks, and I HAD thought that the whole "CM/AP" rift was dissolving.... perhaps I am wrong about that past point.
    I'm not sure why you are so PO'd about this. Disney states that the AP holder is the only one who can use the discount. Just because they have overlooked this in the past doesnt mean they should continue. Breaking rules for someone isn't good custormer service. Quite frankly it makes me mad when others get the discount that should be exclusive to me.

My DH has a Deluxe and I have a PAP. When I was a new AP I tried to use it while he was paying for something and they told me that since I was new they would let it slide but for future reference I needed to be the one to pay.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

I don't think anyone is trying to get away with anything here- but it is confusing to the customer to suddenly start enforcing a policy that has been in place for many years. Even if you haven't changed the rules, it makes it seem like you have.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Earkid
    I'm not sure why you are so PO'd about this. Disney states that the AP holder is the only one who can use the discount. Just because they have overlooked this in the past doesnt mean they should continue. Breaking rules for someone isn't good custormer service. Quite frankly it makes me mad when others get the discount that should be exclusive to me.

My DH has a Deluxe and I have a PAP. When I was a new AP I tried to use it while he was paying for something and they told me that since I was new they would let it slide but for future reference I needed to be the one to pay.
    No, but being consistent with the discounts is good customer service. Notifying the APs that they are going to start enforcing this "rule" (and NO, the rule is not spelled out. It definitely takes an inference from what is written). Especially when you use it those 25+ times per year you go to the resort and suddenly start hearing about this rule.

Say I go to the Resort and am paying my brother for a gift for our parents... I don't have the cash for the whole thing, but he's putting it on his card and I'm paying him for half. Sorry, no discount, as per the "new" rule. Seems a little silly.

Are the CMs are bitter because THEY can't use their CM ID in that way? (the rule for CMs has ALWAYS been enforced).

Also, that comment about "it makes me mad when others get the discount that should be exclusive to me"? That isn't consistent. If your DH HAD gotten the discount when you flashed it that time, would it have made you "mad"?
    Last edited by Chernabog; 11-14-2005 at 09:10 AM.

• A Pirate's life for me!

I have the PAP while the rest of the family has the DAP. I commonly give my wife my PAP when she wants to shop, so she can get the discount. It's not like we are giving our discount to strangers...It's our family.

Even when the kids want to buy trading pins with their own money, I let them show my PAP for the discount. We always get a smile from the CM (and the discount).

On our trip down next week, we'll seriously use my PAP for X-Mas shopping. We'll see what happens.

There's the letter of the rule and the spirit of the rule (just like in law). I think that immediate family members should get the "spirit" part of that rule (as long as the PAP owner is there as well)...

• done

In my experience, the enforcement isn't new. Years ago, we used to have a friend who didn't have a premium AP, and when she'd buy something, either food or merchandise, we'd pay for it first and then she'd pay it back because we had run into instances where we were reminded that the AP discount was only good for the person whose name is on the AP. Maybe CMs haven't been properly trained, and people have been getting those discounts when they shouldn't. If so, then it's been lucky that people have been getting that added benefit, and I understand the confusion that might arise, but I think it's hard to complain about a policy that's very clear, even if they hadn't been completely strict about it in the past.

• Just Me

We had this come up a couple years ago. My mom wanted to buy some things in one of the NOS stores. I wanted to be able to use the discount of my PAP. The cashier said no. No biggy, I paid for it and mom paid me later.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast