Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Big Thunder is now using LED lights

On the waterfall they have indeed changed the lighting very recently to LED lighting and it looks AMAZING!!!! They also replaced the projector on the falling rock scene which makes it really seem like the cavern is collapsing.

• CM for 4 years!

Re: Big Thunder is now using LED lights

They've been using the LED lighting for several months now, and the projector too :P
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    They've been using the LED lighting for several months now, and the projector too :P
    I know that but they changed it once again. It was great before but now it is fantastic. Ride it again. First they put a colorful lighting on the waterfall but now it is this awesome blue/white with a projector effect on it. They also enhanced the projector in the collapsing scene. Before the projector didn't make it look like it was collapsing but now it does.

• CM for 4 years!

Oh cool. I ain't been on Big Thunder in at least two months. Sad, since it's my favorite Disneyland coaster.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    Oh cool. I ain't been on Big Thunder in at least two months. Sad, since it's my favorite Disneyland coaster.
    Yeah ride it again I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I love all this awesome lighting they are installing on all the attractions. It is really making things look really advanced compared to the way they were. They really need to give whoever is designing the lighting a raise like everyone else lol. Btw Big Thunder is using the same LED lighting as the Tiki Room waiting area. If Darkbeer or anyone else can get pics I would be thankful.
    Last edited by Disneyfreak; 11-14-2005 at 01:14 AM.

• Old Timer

As a designer of LED flashlights several years ago I can tell you there has been significant progress of LED usage in all aspects of life, I cannot say about other parts of the counytry as I do not leave Alaska often these days but almost all of our traffic lights now use LEDs, no more burnt out signals.
    Many new vehicles use LEDs now in applications as marker, tail and stop lights, my 2002 Silverado has every single bulb replaced by an LED counterpart.
    Connected to a proper power source LEDs will last over 100,000 hours.
    Soon the light output will surpass incandescent lamps with advantages of a 10 year life, virtually breakproof, almost no heat and of course use a fraction of the power of an incandescent bulb.
    There are replacement bulbs available in many sizes and the costs are coming down, such as 12 volt track lighting but to replace a 100 watt bulb the LED version is still spendy, it sure would be nice to see LED replacements on Main Street at DL!
    What I like about one LED I used in my dashboard illumination was the UV LED, pure ultraviolet unlike a bulb with a tinted coating, makes my gauges glow really cool.
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• Northwest Disneyphile

hooray for LEDs!
    Broadway Duchess, Darling if you only knew half as much as everybody thinks you do

• Senior Minion

LED'S are popping up on Bicycle lights, Cars for taillights, they are even starting to use surgical lights on bicycles too. I love making sure people see me as a cyclist. They almost look like the stadium lights with that blue color.
    The great thing about LED'S is they don't burn out as fast, and they dont burn as much battery energy.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Banned User

Aren't LED lights the lights they now use on the castle(in all the turrets) as well is in the Parade of Dreams?

• Official Mice Chat person

I thought LED lights were very small and only put of small amounts of light. Have they really advanced that much?

• Still wants to be a cat!

I thought I noticed something different on BTMR last time I was on it, but couldn't quite put my finger on it.....thanks for the info, I'll pay even more attention next time!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Fireworks Finatic!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey
    Aren't LED lights the lights they now use on the castle(in all the turrets) as well is in the Parade of Dreams?
    Yes, LED lighting is used on the Castle now and Parade of Dreams. That is how they can change the color of the Castle during the fireworks and make the parade so colorful at night. It's pretty cool how the LED technology has really advanced and Disney is taking advantage of that.

Hooray for LED's!!!!!!!!!!

I look forward to seeing the changes on my next visit. I love when they make little improvements like this. Nothing static but no big fanfare either.

Pressler and Harris would have pitched it as a whole new BTMRR!!!
    The Mur

• Minion

Cool Re: Big Thunder is now using LED lights

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandrocks55
    I thought LED lights were very small and only put of small amounts of light. Have they really advanced that much?
    LED's (Light Emitting Diod) are rather small, but the fact is light bulbs are small when you remove the outer glass.

LED's now are getting much brighter, and I remember not so long ago there was no such thing as a white LED! Also, you group a few leds togeather to make a MUCH brighter light. If you look at a LED flash light they have 3-5 leds in a cluster.

LED's are also being used to make very large TV's and displays. When your in Las Vegas, go down the strip. Above you is a giant LED display. Also go to a baseball game and the giant TV's are most likley LED based. A group of 4 leds, Red, Green, Blue and White make up each pixel.

Now there is a new technology called OLED, or Organic LED. VERY VERY small, and will replace LCD's. LCD's need backlight in order to see, but small OLED's produce there own light and color.

Amazing stuff. At least for a tech nerd like me!

• Official Mice Chat person

Quote Originally Posted by gibbage
    Amazing stuff. At least for a tech nerd like me!
    I must be a tech nerd also.. because I think it's Amazing stuff too. What will they think of next?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast