Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Mac Daddy's 2010 Summer/Fall Nightastically Heavy Photo Thread

How on earth did you get such amazing shots of Fantasmic?

I haven't been able to get anything even close to those.
    Jealous, Jealous, Jealous!!!
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Iron-Clad Allie

Fire, smoke, fountains, lazers...you have a way of using photography to bring colorful entertaining elements into a fresh new light, Mac Daddy. Even Murphy becomes a more dramaticly believable character. That takes a lot of talent and know-how.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 10-22-2010 at 12:42 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Say Cheese!

Truly, truly magical. Thank you!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    Thanks RW. Your KC and the Sunshine Band references are very much appreciated as that was one of the key bands of my generation. In fact, KC and Kool and the Gang played during out Grad Nite at Disneyland back in ....1980!
    Like your Disneyland Resort pix, Kool and the Gang were/are bursting with magical pix-iedust. They were/are fresh...exciting...

YouTube - Kool and The Gang - Fresh (12" Remix)

Makes you wanna jam to life's jungle boogy...

YouTube - TLK-Jungle boogie
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 10-22-2010 at 08:39 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post

Yeah this.... totally, completely, drool worthy shots!!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittlePrincess2010 View Post
    Once again these photos are amazing, they are also getting me so excited for our trip coming up in 3 weeks. Its been 11 years since my first, and only, trip to the "Land" and I never got to see Fantasmic. This time I will not miss it!!
    Thanks LittlePrincess. Hopefully Murphy will be back in action by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangel View Post
    You are a WOC and after dark photographing genius!!!!!! Thank you for the great pics, I'm enjoying them immensely!!!!
    Thanks Kangel. And thanks for rescuing my thread from the depths of obscurity. I'm not sure how you found it. I think it must have been on page 20! I'm not too sure about the genius part, but I appreciate your comment. If you knew the amount of shots that I MISSED because I left the ISO up too high, forgot to set my auto focus back to "auto", forgot to take the bracketing back off after shooting HDR...I think you might think twice about using that term. I'm pretty sure I've called myself the opposite term under my breath about 100 times in a typical night of shooting.

Thanks Hot Sauce. I think the big difference for me this year was having the courage to shoot at ridiculously high ISO settings. Some of the best Fantasmic shots I've seen were taken by fellow Micechatter PeterPanFan1953 who is now shooting with a Canon 7D. Even though his camera is waaaaaay nicer than mine, I was surprised when I looked at his EXIF info to find that he often shoots on shutter priority with his ISO boosted pretty high. For the past couple of years, I've been shooting with my 105mm 2.6, 35 1.8, and my 50 1.4, but I was frustrated by the fact that I was very limited in what I could frame with those prime lenses. Following Peterpanfan's lead, most of those shots were with the 70-300VR and the 18-200 VR, neither of which are very good for night shooting. In fact, think the apertures for most of those shots were between 4 and 6. Add to that the fact that I was afraid to push my ISO up, because I've taken some NASTY shots using high ISO with other cameras. I had a Canon G9 when it first came out, and I sold it pretty quick after finding that anything above ISO 800 was complete garbage. And I had been well schooled in that you ALWAYS want to shoot with the lowest ISO available. Well, after throwing caution to the wind, I took most of the Fantasmic shots at shutter priority with the shutter anywhere between 60 and 100 with ISO at either 2500 or 3200, which is crazy high. I think I also was using the exposure compensation to give it an extra +1.0.

But...I thought they didn't turn out as bad as I thought they would. In fact, I was still able to boost the exposure in Camera Raw in Photoshop and still not get killed with huge amounts of noise. I think I had to use noise reduction on a couple of shots, but overall, I was shocked with what I could get away with.

And NOW...I'm looking very hard at the Nikon D7000 which shoots at 6400 and boosts upwards of 20,000, the same as the much more expensive Nikon D700. Come Christmas this year, I might be using a new camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Fire, smoke, fountains, lazers...you have a way of using photography to bring colorful entertaining elements into a fresh new light, Mac Daddy. Even Murphy becomes a more dramaticly believable character. That takes a lot of talent and know-how.
    Thanks, RW, and thanks again for your 70's music links. Us old codgers need to stick together.

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyPhotoGuy View Post
    Truly, truly magical. Thank you!
    Thanks, DPG! In my next couple of sets, some of these photos might look rather familiar as I've been stealing your ideas for awhile now. If it wasn't for you, I really doubt I ever would have thought of wandering into Fantasyland during the fireworks. Mine didn't come out half as well, but I might be trying it again some time soon. I think I spent most of my time there trying to decide if I wanted to shoot back over the carousel toward the castle, or back over Dumbo with the shell bursts over the trees. I lost about 10 minutes of the show just trying to decide. And I also got over there late after Fantasmic, and didn't feel good about setting up my tripod right in front of folks who were already there. If I do that again, I'd probably get over there earlier and stake out a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Yeah this.... totally, completely, drool worthy shots!!!
    Thanks Pengy, and thanks for coming back. I hope this thread isn't coming over as self indulgent as I have a billion shots to share, but I've been saving up over the past few months. I really thought I'd be done by now, but there will be at least a couple sets of fireworks shots, and then glowfest, dark rides, and more stuff from around the parks, so I hope you'll keep checking back.

More photos coming soon.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 10-22-2010 at 01:15 PM.

• Say Cheese!

Thanks, DPG! In my next couple of sets, some of these photos might look rather familiar as I've been stealing your ideas for awhile now. If it wasn't for you, I really doubt I ever would have thought of wandering into Fantasyland during the fireworks. Mine didn't come out half as well, but I might be trying it again some time soon. I think I spent most of my time there trying to decide if I wanted to shoot back over the carousel toward the castle, or back over Dumbo with the shell bursts over the trees. I lost about 10 minutes of the show just trying to decide. And I also got over there late after Fantasmic, and didn't feel good about setting up my tripod right in front of folks who were already there. If I do that again, I'd probably get over there earlier and stake out a spot.
    Steal away. I'm in love with your camera and lens. I'm upgrading soon. I hope to get half as good shots as yours.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Steal away. I'm in love with your camera and lens. I'm upgrading soon. I hope to get half as good shots as yours.
    Okay...now you made me spit diet Dr. Pepper all over my computer monitor. I'm a huge fan of your photos, and whenever you post them, I'm usually making mental notes on what to try next. I love the way that you compose your shots, and I'm hoping that if I stare at yours long enough, some of your photographic genius-ness might rub off on me. That goes for quite a few other photographers on this site as well.

I think I read earlier that you were shooting with a Canon Rebel XTi. Are you looking at the new Canon 60D? Or are you looking at something bigger like the 5D or 7D? In either case, I'll keep coming back to look at your threads for more ideas.

• Minion

The last time I tried to shoot Fantasmic I was on the bridge over Pirates with a great view but I think I was too far away. I tried with my 50-250 and an ISO of 3200 but I got all kinds of green splotches of light in the photos. I get those a lot in my night shots no matter which lens I use. I still haven't figured out why they are there or how to stop it from happening.

Next time I will camp out on the river edge for it and see if I can do any better. Now that I've heard you use a zoom lens and a high ISO, I feel like my chances are better.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

I tried with my 50-250 and an ISO of 3200 but I got all kinds of green splotches of light in the photos. I get those a lot in my night shots no matter which lens I use. I still haven't figured out why they are there or how to stop it from happening.
    If its like a blob of light it might be illuminated dust on your sensor. you need to use a dust blower to remove it. Looks like a tiny football with a tube.

If its like tiny specs, then its hot pixels. there is nothing you can do except use decent photo software which will automatically map them out.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

• Say Cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    Okay...now you made me spit diet Dr. Pepper all over my computer monitor. I'm a huge fan of your photos, and whenever you post them, I'm usually making mental notes on what to try next. I love the way that you compose your shots, and I'm hoping that if I stare at yours long enough, some of your photographic genius-ness might rub off on me. That goes for quite a few other photographers on this site as well.

I think I read earlier that you were shooting with a Canon Rebel XTi. Are you looking at the new Canon 60D? Or are you looking at something bigger like the 5D or 7D? In either case, I'll keep coming back to look at your threads for more ideas.
    Not sure yet on which camera to get. But I love the Rebels. Maybe T2i. My Tamron is shot though - looking to grab something in the range of 18-300 2.8 roughly. Recommend any good lenses? I'm a people photographer mainly, but love to shoot Disneyland. I try really hard to get angles and objects hardly photographed. Shooting the fireworks over Storybookland was a complete accident. I love those (accidents) the best. I'm in awe of your work, sir.

You are one of my heroes Mac D. i always think "awesome" when i see your new batches. i shoot concerts for fun as well and regularly rock the shutter priority. i read about your brief relationship with the G9 which is still my p&s. Played with the new G12 this week. More than likely that will replace my G9. Any thoughts on the 12 yet?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Not sure yet on which camera to get. But I love the Rebels. Maybe T2i. My Tamron is shot though - looking to grab something in the range of 18-300 2.8 roughly. Recommend any good lenses? I'm a people photographer mainly, but love to shoot Disneyland. I try really hard to get angles and objects hardly photographed. Shooting the fireworks over Storybookland was a complete accident. I love those (accidents) the best. I'm in awe of your work, sir.
    I'm currently saving my pennies for a 70-200 2.8 lens, but there's no way I'll be able to afford the Nikon 2.8 for quite awhile. The new updated lens came out not too long ago, and now runs $2159.00. The comparable canon lens is $2069. But I'm trying to find something comparable in either a Sigma or Tamron. The 70-200 range seems ideal for people and close ups, but you'd sacrifice those wider shots when you want them. My 18-200 VR isn't NEARLY as sharp as what I could get with a 2.8, but it is easily my most versatile lens and if I could only take one lens for the day, I'd probably have to stick with that. But SOME day...when I win the lottery....

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    You are one of my heroes Mac D. i always think "awesome" when i see your new batches. i shoot concerts for fun as well and regularly rock the shutter priority. i read about your brief relationship with the G9 which is still my p&s. Played with the new G12 this week. More than likely that will replace my G9. Any thoughts on the 12 yet?
    Thanks Ivankay. I haven't heard too much about the G12 yet, but I think the G10 was already much improved over the G9 when it came to shooting in low light. I LOVED shooting with the G9 during the day, and I was quite happy with how my shots came out during the summer that I had it, and I also liked how it was able to shoot RAW. But as soon as I went out in twilight and tried to boost it up to ISO 800 or so, I was shocked by the amount of noise I was stuck with. So I switched to the Panasonic Lumix LX3, which featured a wider lens and shot down to 2.8. It was GREAT for low light, and I still take it when I don't want to haul around the D90 and my bag of stuff.

Thanks again for your comments everyone. Hopefully I will have a batch of fireworks shots up by tonight.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 10-30-2010 at 11:36 AM.

• Minion

[QUOTE=Mac Daddy;1056310893]I'm currently saving my pennies for a 70-200 2.8 lens, but there's no way I'll be able to afford the Nikon 2.8 for quite awhile. The new updated lens came out not too long ago, and now runs $2159.00. The comparable canon lens is $2069. But I'm trying to find something comparable in either a Sigma or Tamron. The 70-200 range seems ideal for people and close ups, but you'd sacrifice those wider shots when you want them. My 18-200 VR isn't NEARLY as sharp as what I could get with a 2.8, but it is easily my most versatile lens and if I could only take one lens for the day, I'd probably have to stick with that. But SOME day...when I win the lottery....

If you want to try out the 70-200 F/2.8 lens, (which I"m dying to get too) you can rent one from www.borrowlenses.com. It's only about $100.00 to rent it for a week. They have every lens you could think of at really good rates. I'm thinking of renting one for the photo meet. I just can't decide which ones I want.

These pictures are incredible! Thanks so much for posting!
    "Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast