Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

• Seeker of Fun

Re: Mac Daddy's 2010 Summer/Fall Nightastically Heavy Photo Thread

Stunning. For me personally, your photos always bring out the real memories of Disneyland. It's not a night shot of something, washed out with a flash, with the surrounding edges blurry. It's how my eye would see it if I was there. It captures the true moment of the experience. Thanks again for taking the time to not only post these outstanding photos, but to learn how to take such great photos. This is a true art!
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

MacDaddy your pictures are just truly amazing, love your work.

I'm looking to get a DSLR. I would be a newbie at it of course. I've been eyeing the Nikon 3100. I figure that's good enough for a person who doesn't know how to use a DSLR camera. I just have an Olympus point & shoot right now and its okay. I just keep seeing these awesome shots that people take with a DSLR and I now want that kind of toy. I do realize that the biggest complaint that the average person has about a DSLR is that they can be bulky when it comes traveling with them. But eh, I guess thats the comprise you have to make in order to get awesome shots.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Part X: Disneyland Fireworks - Part I

Over the past few months, it's been a goal of mine to not only shoot Disneyland fireworks from front and center in front of the castle, but to try shooting from other areas of the resort as well. So, after exploring and getting some ideas from some of you, I set off to find a wide variety of spots to shoot from. First on the list is from the top story of Innoventions, which offers some panoramic views of Tomorrowland and some great shots of the fireworks over the Matterhorn. I've been up there three or four times now, and so far security hasn't chased me away. (Knocks on wood.) This spot is definitely on my list, but I didn't shoot from here last Summer as I had just taken a series of shots like this one last Spring...

So I tried some OTHER places last Summer, including Fantasyland, behind Fowler's Harbor on the trail in front of Splash Mountain, New Orleans Square over the Mark Twain, and just last weekend, from Paradise Pier back over Grizzly Peak. The shows included the Fourth of July Show, Magical, and Remember. There won't be much commenting here and I've tried to put them in more of a random order to keep things from looking too familiar.

Again...thanks for sticking around this long! On with Part X:

This isn't a fireworks shot per se, but it was taken between bursts during Magical...

Scroll down for Part XI:, or click HERE
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 11-12-2010 at 06:51 PM.

• Not So New Member

Amazing!!!
    disney lady

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post

If you want to try out the 70-200 F/2.8 lens, (which I"m dying to get too) you can rent one from www.borrowlenses.com. It's only about $100.00 to rent it for a week. They have every lens you could think of at really good rates. I'm thinking of renting one for the photo meet. I just can't decide which ones I want.
    See now...that would be the problem. If I shoot with that 2.8, I'll NEVER want to send it back and I'd end up raiding my kids' college accounts to make sure I get it. But hey...who REALLY needs college? :
    But the Tamron might be doable. I'll have to read up on what people think is the best NON uber expensive Nikon 2.8 out there and then fork out some cash. But that might be next year. I think this year will be all about getting my greedy hands on that Nikon D7000.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    These pictures are incredible! Thanks so much for posting!
    Thanks Midway Maniac, and you're very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Apples4Disney View Post
    Stunning. For me personally, your photos always bring out the real memories of Disneyland. It's not a night shot of something, washed out with a flash, with the surrounding edges blurry. It's how my eye would see it if I was there. It captures the true moment of the experience. Thanks again for taking the time to not only post these outstanding photos, but to learn how to take such great photos. This is a true art!
    Thank you so much for your comment, 4Apples4Disney. It means a great deal that people are enjoying my shots, such as they are. I continue to be inspired by a large number of photographers on this site and on Flickr, and hardly a day goes by when I don't bang my head on the wall and ponder how much more I have to learn before I feel like I really know what I'm doing. So...thanks for the encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Disneylandfan View Post
    MacDaddy your pictures are just truly amazing, love your work.

I'm looking to get a DSLR. I would be a newbie at it of course. I've been eyeing the Nikon 3100. I figure that's good enough for a person who doesn't know how to use a DSLR camera. I just have an Olympus point & shoot right now and its okay. I just keep seeing these awesome shots that people take with a DSLR and I now want that kind of toy. I do realize that the biggest complaint that the average person has about a DSLR is that they can be bulky when it comes traveling with them. But eh, I guess thats the comprise you have to make in order to get awesome shots.
    Thanks 1Disneylandfan. I think the D3100 is a wonderful camera and I always love finding new Nikon shooters on Micechat as this board has been traditionally Canon heavy for quite a while now. It looks as if the D3100 is more camera than the D40 for less money, which I don't quite understand. With the video capability, the 14 megapixels, 11 autofocus points, and the ISO up to 3200, it's really quite a bit of camera for the money. I think you'll get some spectacular shots with it. If you've seen WDWFigment's thread, he has a D90, but shot for quite awhile with a D40 and came away with some breathtaking shots. Sooo...the D3100 is a GREAT choice!

Quote Originally Posted by disney lady View Post
    Amazing!!!
    Thanks Disneylady!

And thanks again to all of you who keep coming back. I really need to try to finish this thread up before Fall is gone. The Christmas decorations are already going up all around the resort, so I'll try to shift into high gear over the next couple of weeks.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Part XI:

On with the fireworks...

This final fireworks shot isn't the cleanest, but it's from a different perspective...

This was shot recently from the hills above Yorba Linda looking back toward the resort with the Sigma 150-500. I hope it looks somewhat familiar as it's the finale from Remember. If you click on the larger view (click on the margin above), you can see the Matterhorn in the lower left corner and the Disneyland Hotel in the lower right. I believe the lights above the Matterhorn and in between the bursts in the center are oil platforms out in front of Catalina Island. The Paradise Pier Hotel can be seen just above the Matterhorn. I like this angle as it really demonstrates how wide spread the pryo is for the finale as rockets ring the perimeter of the hub, are shot off at angles just behind Toon Town, and the larger Shells are even further back. It also gives you an idea of why Disney caught some heat from the AQMD for the amount of smoke that is generated from their nightly performances.

This photo isn't a fireworks shot, but it gives you an idea of where I shot the Fireworks from. You can see the DLR in the foreground with Catalina Island behind it....

As always, thanks for checking out my shots as I've been on a photographic binge in this thread. I've got a few more fireworks shots, but I feel like I've been trying everyone's patience, and I should probably wrap this up as I'm already taking shots for a holiday thread. So hopefully I'll be able to finish this one of with one or two more sections with random shots from Summer/Fall.

I also wanted to plug the Photo Meet this Wednesday and Thursday as several of us are planning to get together, and I'd love to meet any of you who can make it. More info at the link in my sig or by contacting Hot Sauce in the photo of the day thread.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 11-12-2010 at 11:19 PM.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Holy crap! All your pictures are just so amazing! Great job. I wish I had your eye and talent. And that daytime picture from the hill makes DLR look so close to the coast. I love it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    Holy crap! All your pictures are just so amazing! Great job. I wish I had your eye and talent. And that daytime picture from the hill makes DLR look so close to the coast. I love it.
    Thanks SoCalFan! I was surprised, once I began trying to save that shot from the hill, how compressed everything becomes when you zoom in on something from that far away. I was using a 150-500 lens with a camera that has a crop factor of 1.5, so it was already cropped before I began working on it. I cropped in again, and was shocked to see the effect as it looks like you could see the ocean and Catalina from the top of the Fun Wheel. I wish I had a more expensive zoom as a LOT of detail is lost when you crop in on a heavily zoomed shot like that. Maybe some day....

I'll try to have my next batch of shots up today or tomorrow. I should probably try to finish by Fall update before Fall is completely gone.

• Minion

I am SOOOOOOOOOOO looking forward to shooting fireworks with you.
    Teach me Master Yoda, Teach Me!
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    I am SOOOOOOOOOOO looking forward to shooting fireworks with you.
    Teach me Master Yoda, Teach Me!
    You apparently have me confused with either Tom Bricker...

Partners in Crime | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

or Ryan Pastorino...

EPCOT - IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Or some of the other flickr fireworks giants like Matt Pasant, Jamian, Cory Disbrow, etc. I think you meant "Jar Jar Binks" rather than "Yoda", but I appreciate the vote of confidence.

Wednesday and Thursday should be fun! I'm really looking forward to it!
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 11-14-2010 at 08:48 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Part XII: Random Shots From Around The Resort

The last few batches have no particular theme...just random shots from around the resort over the past several months.

On we go....

Scroll down for Part XIII, or click HERE
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 11-26-2010 at 08:19 PM.

• Off to Neverland

do you realize how badly I want to kiss your feet right now? Those pix are absolutely amazing!!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SingingAngel7242 View Post
    do you realize how badly I want to kiss your feet right now? Those pix are absolutely amazing!!!!
    Er.....thanks Singing Angel! As an amateur photographer, I really appreciate the comment but I also know that there are dozens of other photographers around Micechat who leave me in the weeds.

But I'm still trying to learn. That's the main reason I am looking forward to hanging out with other photographers tomorrow and Thursday at Disneyland. If anyone is around tomorrow or Thursday, please look for us! We shouldn't be too hard to find.

We'll be the ones that look like a roaming pack of paparazzi.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Amateur??? Dude... there is no way you should consider yourself an amateur photographer!!!! Just because you don't get paid for these pictures (and by golly I think you should), doesn't mean that these are not professional level shots! Seriously, if you were still uploading your hi res shots (esp the ones of the Twain... hint hint hint ) to smugmug I would buy some of them!!!!

The one of the castle (post 93, pic 16) with no one there... how in the world did you do that??? I figured if they were shooting off fireworks the front of the castle would ALWAYS be packed!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Amateur??? Dude... there is no way you should consider yourself an amateur photographer!!!! Just because you don't get paid for these pictures (and by golly I think you should), doesn't mean that these are not professional level shots! Seriously, if you were still uploading your hi res shots (esp the ones of the Twain... hint hint hint ) to smugmug I would buy some of them!!!!

The one of the castle (post 93, pic 16) with no one there... how in the world did you do that??? I figured if they were shooting off fireworks the front of the castle would ALWAYS be packed!

Thanks for the reminder, PS. I...um...it sort of slipped my mind, but I'll try to get on that this weekend. (My bad!)

For the castle photo, there are actually people walking back and forth in that shot. I was able to save some of the shots with photoshop, but on others, like the one you mentioned, if you look closely you can see a blur across the middle, and another over on the hedge on the right hand side. The blurs are people as they crossed while I was shooting. The people generally tend to disappear during a long exposure shot, but light up swords, balloons, and blue CM flashlights play havoc with trying to clean up a shot. But there are no people beyond that initial line crossing in front of me as I got there early and camped out. I thought about trying to shoot from further back in order to get more of the shell bursts behind the castle, but then I always ran the risk of a kid on someone's shoulders or worse...one of those light up balloons floating right into the shot.

Thanks for your comment, and I'll try to get on that shot asap. You know that I'm getting to that age when my memory just isn't what it used to be...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast