Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• ~*~Just a dream away~*~

Cool What is the least you could spend on a trip?

What does everyone think the very least you could spend and still have a good time is? I am curious what kind of trip plans people can come up with for say a 3-5 day trip to Disneyland , how much would you allot for food , where would you eat to save $$, what hotel, etc... Im going in October and planning to go again in December but getting nervous we wont have enough money saved up. What are some things you guys have done to do Disneyland on a budget... BTW I am not good at this lol... I can stay at a cheap hotel and all that but once I get in the park I lose all sight of any kind of budget I may have and buy everything I see and eat at the most expensive places!
    ✶Dreams do come true!!!✶

Think of the Happiest things ... its the same as having wings

• Clean Cup! Move Down!

Re: What is the least you could spend on a trip?

The "how to save money" thread - Now, you're talkin' my language!!!
    (Just call me the 8th dwarf, Cheapy. haha)

Easiest way to save money?? Bring food and water and get a locker! ($7 a day, I think) The park says they don't allow it, but I've brought in whole bags of food before and they don't even blink.

I've started bringing a camelbak for water (because I tend to act like a 10 year old and run around for hours without drinking anything if I don't). It saves money and keeps me hydrated. If you aren't a water drinker, fill it with ice tea or something.

On my most stingy of trips (I was a grad student with very little income), I'd bring a whole day's worth of food and save my money for maybe an ice cream or churro (or mint julep) once a day. If I could afford it, I'd plan to splurge on ONE restaurant meal per trip. And since all menus and prices are online, you can plan ahead for how much that might cost.

If you have trouble with a budget, don't bring your credit cards to the park. Pack a set amount of cash each day and when it is gone, it is gone. I used to actually put cash in baggies - one for each day I was going. How much? It depended upon how poor I was and how much food I brought in of my own. But, I could easily spend a day for under $20 if I planned on eating all of my own food and not buying souvenirs.

Speaking of souvenirs, instead of buying stuff, take pictures. Instead of spending time in stores, savor moments with characters and cast members. If you really have to have something to take home, go to City Hall and get a button (they're free!).

The way I look at it, the "buying of stuff" is not why I go to Disneyland. I go because I love just being there. So when money is an issue, I'm happy to just experience the place and not get caught up in the marketing and expensive food.

-DrA

great ideas! thanks so much! we always bring snacks and water into the park bring breakfast to eat in the hotels
    ✶Dreams do come true!!!✶

The easiest way for me to budget (I allow $80 a day for myself and my daughter), I go to the bank before I leave, and ask for envelopes (the kind they give out at the drive thru) - one per day I'll be there. I put $80 in each one, and only take one with me each day to the parks.

For (hot) drinks I bring Starbucks Via, Tea Bags and Stevia packets. with me, and just ask vendors for Hot Water (it's free) and instant caffeine!

For Souvenirs, I buy pins off Ebay and trade them for pins that will remind me of that trip, and display them on a lanyard when I get them home.

• Sock Puppet

the easy ways to save monney once you get in the park in not bye just bye a luch and get just get watter form the conter sercevices

• ohai

Best Tip: Don't eat in the park!

Bring in food from a nearby store, and there is a McDonalds footsteps away from the park. And it's way cheaper than eating a little thing at the park.

• Figment of my imagination

We did a budget trip to DL almost two years ago and managed to spend 4 nights and 3 days in the parks on a shoestring budget. I agree with the above posters about the savings being in food.

One of our big savers was having a fridge in our hotel room -- we ran to the Target near DL and bought yogurts and muffins for breakfast, peanut butter and jelly fixings, and water/soda. We also got a coupon for Mimi's Cafe that gave us a kid's meal for 99 cents and ate there every night; DH and I would split an entree and appetizer and munch on the kid's meal with DD... our dinners were around $15 total for a sit down meal!!! Also, we pre-bought some souvenirs and gave one to DD every morning to occupy her and distract her from the expensive stuff in the parks. And, if you are eager to have character photos but don't want to pay for Photopass, don't be shy to ask the CMs to take photos with your camera -- sure, you may not have the state of the art cameras they have, but you'll still capture the memory with you in it!

For our trip next week, we're splurging more, but still utilizing the fridge/food tricks. We're also stoppign at Charater Warehouse before we go to the resort area to get a few souvenirs and save $$$ that way. I'm big into spreadsheets and have been tracking the money we've already spent and what we plan to spend... seeing it allocated out makes me more aware of what's going where and shows me where I can cut back if I need to. (but, I'm also a nerd, and love spreadsheets)
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." ~ Walt Disney

WDW - '88, '90, Nov '95, Mar '98, Mar '03, Oct '05-Aug '06 (AP)
    DL - Jan '09, Sept '10

Next visit - still just a wish...

Dream Meet' n' Greet: Kermit, Sweetums, Maleficent, Jack

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I posted this in the trip planning forum;

Assuming this is for 2 people:

Day 1: Arrival Day

Lunch at the Carnation Cafe......$28.00

Dinner at Red Rockets..............$25.00

A whatnot..............................$20.00

Day 2:

Breakfast at Jazz Kitchen ex......$15.00

Snack/Lunch at hot dog hut......$18.00

Dinner at Ariels.......................$85.00

Day 3:

Breakfast at K'ya...................$25.00

Lunch at French Market..........$30.00

Sundae at Gibson Girl.............$11.00

Another Whatnot..................$20.00

2 nights at Hotel Menage.........$150.00
    Art shuttle............................$20.00

Sub total, not including admission ---$447.00

Parking?
    Taxi?
    Champagne?
    other?

Total-------------------------447.00 + ????

Hope this helps....as a sort of outline anyway
    It's not the "least you can spend" but it is a reasonable budget trip....one in which you don't have to eat at McDonalds or huddle around a package of bologna in your motel room
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

HAHA yeah i find it easy to eat breakfast in the room and bring in snacks but its so much effort with two little ones to try to leave the park to buy lunch and dinner.Im so badly wanting to go for christmas, im going to need to budget myself on the halloween trip aswell
    ✶Dreams do come true!!!✶

• Minion

SCOUR the internet for the lowest hotel rates (Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, etc.). If you're going low budget, don't spend too much for amenities at a hotel that you'll be spending minimal time at. You can EASILY get a room for $45 or less per night that is in walking distance or with easy access to ART. Sometimes the very low priced hotels are all you really need (a place to sleep and a shower). You'll still want to check tripadvisor.com or a similar site for hotel reviews to make sure you're not staying at the Bates Motel.

• Nor Cal AP'er

My last trip for 2 days at the park,with a 3 night stay at my usual motel,gas,food,souvenirs,snacks n batteries, I usually do for under $500.00 n thats driving from the bay area. I eat usually outside the park for breakfast,for lunch I get a burrito from Tortilla Joes (keeps me filled most of the day) n hit up the Subyway(5 doller foot longs on Brookhurst/ball ave after the park on weekends( they're open 24 hours AND have a drive-through ) I could probably do it cheaper if I wanted to,but with the parking fee you can leave 'once' and come back.
    I am a Annual Pass Holder and I'm better than you! lol!

• Merry 2014!

What a coincidence. . . I've been researching the same thing.

Here's a link to the thread I started in the travel planning section that might help.
    the cheap route

Room through Priceline: $25 per night, 2.5* motel, 28.50 with 15% tax. Must have free parking.

Food: $30 per day. That's kind of tight but do-able. One lunch in the park and the rest really cheap. I've done it for $15 but that was a long time ago (ate one one meal in the park and a snack.) Most of the time I take $30-40 and have money leftover.

Travel from Reno: Car- $130 Plane- $210 to SNA with one stop, the closest to DL.
    $139 to LAX, non-stop
    Transfers from airport: SNA $20 . . . . LAX $35 approximate

ART $3 a day

Souvenirs: I budget $10 to 20 but normally I don't buy any.

Drive cost approx.: 334.5 for 3 days without admission

Plane cost approx.: 348.5 for 3 days (LAX) w/o admission

Admission is $186

Grand total: $520.5 or $534.5 give or take
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Merry 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment 626 View Post
    My last trip for 2 days at the park,with a 3 night stay at my usual motel,gas,food,souvenirs,snacks n batteries, I usually do for under $500.00 n thats driving from the bay area. I eat usually outside the park for breakfast,for lunch I get a burrito from Tortilla Joes (keeps me filled most of the day) n hit up the Subyway(5 doller foot longs on Brookhurst/ball ave after the park on weekends( they're open 24 hours AND have a drive-through ) I could probably do it cheaper if I wanted to,but with the parking fee you can leave 'once' and come back.
    Where do you stay?
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• A Weather Eye Open

I've never planned a DL vacation, so I can't be much help on the hotel end, but...

If you find you have problems controlling your spur of the moment spending, I suggest this: leave all your cards in the hotel (or better yet, at home, bringing only 1 card that you might need on the trip).
    Carry only cash inside the resort, and don't carry more than you want to spend for each day. Only using cash forces you to be a lot more thoughtful about how you are spending it.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

I actually am planning a solo trip for early Nov. or early Dec. now and when I begin to budget I write these factors down in a notebook.I am going to be spending more money on this trip than my last solo trip(2001 when DCA opened)because I want to see/eat/bowl/dance at Gardenwalk and Really Explore Downtown Disney.I usually go with my daughter but this year she is going with her mother's side of the family.So I've been looking forward to my solo trip and here is basically what I have:

Room-(5 Nights Alpine Inn)Amenities Not important too me,I wont be in the room that much but cleanliness is a MUST!$350-$400

Gas-I drive from the Bay Area Too so I assume about 4 fill ups at $30.So my total for Gas is about $120.(Economy Car)

Food-This will be a Tue,Wed,Thu,Fri,Sat,leaving Sun Morning so I have to figure about 10$Breakfast,$15 Lunch,$20 dinner everyday for me over 6 days.Now some meals will be cheaper or more expensive than what I budgeted but it will all balance out.Plus I add another $20 for souvenir or park snacks.Total Food about $300.

Park Tickets-(Already Paid For 3 Day Hopper-$186)

Misc-Covers any other funds or expenses,also some backup money.This is always good to include just in case you need a little more cash in one or more categories or money to have extra fun with.I have a credit card but I opt not to use it unless I either really have to or for emergency use.$300.

My grand total comes to around $1250.This is because I am choosing to splurge this time,HOB,ESPN,Heat,Bubba Gumps,Tony Romas,Cheesecake Factory,Gardenwalk,300 Bowl,ElecTRONica.I really want to have a good time.But if you cut this in half you can have fun for a much cheaper price.In 2001 I brought $500 with me on the trip and made it even with a little left over for the way home.Hopes this helps some.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast