Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Smile Need Advice Regarding Dl Jobs

Dear MiceChat Community:

As the title of this thread suggests, I need some advice regarding possibly getting a job at Disneyland. For the past four and a half years I worked part time in a boring office job, so that I could pay for college. After much thought and boredom, I thought I would pursue getting a job at the Happiest Place on Earth, since it has always been lifetime goal and dream to work for the Walt Disney Company (and hopefully advance through the ranks). Since, many of you frequent the park or work at the park, I was hoping I could get your valuable insight on the following questions:

1. What jobs would you recommend me apply for? What jobs would you recommend me to stay away from? Why? (Thus far I have considered Guest Research, Guest Relations, Attractions, and Store Operations, what are your opinions on these jobs?)

2. Since I am a college student who will be taking 15 units at CSUF next semester, does Disney to some degree work around college students class and study schedules?

3. Would it be better to apply as a Casual Temp or a Part Timer? How many hours a week can I expect to work as a Casual Temp or Part Timer?

4. I've read mixed stories about the "Presenteeism" policy, Is this a policy that I should be worried about?

5. What do the Disneyland Interviewers look for in general in possible candidates? What do they look for candidate applying for Guest Research, Guest Relations, Attractions, and Store Operations positions? What should I wear to the interview and should I bring a resume?

6. Are their any other tips, insights, or recommendations that you would like to share with me in regards to getting a job at the Happiest Place on Earth?

Thank you for your time and I look foward in reading the valuable insights and recommendations that you may provide me with.

Thanks!
    -MSEPForever
    (Disneyland Hopeful)

• The Fantasyland guy

Re: Need Advice Regarding Dl Jobs

I hopefully will help you out with this:

1) I think you should work for whatever makes you happy. If you like fast pace action, then some of the attractions are for you. You should remember that when you go for a job. (Good starting point: Fantasyland Classics West. This is Snow White, Pin, Dumbo, And Casey.)

2) Everyone practically foes to school at CSUF. You'll feel at home. They work with your availably to some extent. You do not have a choice on holidays.

3) I'm pretty sure there is no CT job anymore. I had heard they are getting rid of that title. You will have to be a CR.

4) You will have to be neat and on time. If there is any policy they enforce recently, it is this one. (This also depends on your lead and manager, some enforce it more then others.)

5) ask them when you call. Or someone else could chime in with this answer.

6) To tell you the truth, seems like recently they have opened up the hiring to anyone who breaths. Hire first, then train and see if they stick. (This is my personal opinion, not really a fact of Disney's hiring practices.

EDIT: About #4, here is a hint: If you are a good cast member, you don't have to worry about this. (By Good I mean know what you are doing, pick up extra shifts when you have time, dont break things, and create lots of magic for guests.) Disney is not dumb, they keep their good CM's onboard even if you are late once or twice every couple of months.
    Last edited by TheDude; 11-14-2005 at 11:45 AM.

• Disney Dream 10/23!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude

EDIT: About #4, here is a hint: If you are a good cast member, you don't have to worry about this. (By Good I mean know what you are doing, pick up extra shifts when you have time, dont break things, and create lots of magic for guests.) Disney is not dumb, they keep their good CM's onboard even if you are late once or twice every couple of months.
    this used to be true, but not anymore...

• Minion

/\ Gee...no wonder why Disney is having a hard time recruiting people

• Oh, the cleverness of me.

As far as I know, they are not getting rid of Casual Temps. At least they better not be because then i would be out of a job... CTs are staying..
    <o>

• Disneyland Historian

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    Ha ha. This is not true at all. If you pick up extra shifts, they will give them to you but it will not help you in any way. Usually, they will fore you to take such extra shifts. Most of the cast members try to make magic for guests but the majority of it goes unnoticed by management and even if they do see it, there will be no reward for it, except for the feelings that you are helping create magic. You will see other cast members get promoted when they do very little to make magic.

• The Fantasyland guy

well, a blind eye has been turned on CM's I know in the last month. Like my opionion said in the privious post, different leads and managers do different things. I did say they enforce it.

If you want to know my opionion. They enforce it when they want to. If you get on someones bad side, dont know you or like you. (Too much power to the managers if you ask me. Isn't that what the Union is for? To fight for the CM's?)

• Lost in Wonderland

Disneyland isn't getting rid of CTs (Casual Temporary). They will still have CT, CR (Casual Regular), and RFT (Regular Full Time). They are trying to eliminate RPTs and CR-25s (Regular Part Time and Casual Regular 25).

• Minion

/\ Is their a reason why Disney is getting rid of the RPTss and the CR-25's?

• Vehicle rotating backward

They don't pay nearly enough for what they expect. Don't even try.

By typing such an eloquent letter, you've classed yourself out of the group of people they're going to be hiring from with those wages.

• World Famous Skipper

Disneyland.... seriously, I met my roommates once I think..

1) I'm almost positive they're only hiring foods cast members right now. So if you aren't looking to work in foods (it pays higher than attractions, if that's an incentive) you might not necessarily want to apply right now. I don't really know about guest relations or stores, but I know that as of this past weekend, they are not hiring attractions cast members.

2) You have to (as in MUST) be available Fridays after 6 pm and all day Saturday and Sunday, and then you can be scheduled to work private parties Monday through Thursday where shifts generally start after 6 or 7. And if you're available, say, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday after four or something, you can say that you only want to work five days, and then you have the chance of getting one of the weekend days off.

3) For CT, you won't be given a choice really. Since it's coming up on the holiday season, you may only be offered CT. I was hired in in April, and offered a job as a CT starting in June, without being given the choice.. So I don't know if it's the same for the holiday season, or with the post-presenteeism hiring frenzy. I would recommend CR because you make more and you live close enough to where work shouldn't take a super huge chunk out of schoolwork and such.

4) If you come to work, presenteeism isn't a problem. Unless new hires have poor work ethics, or are experiencing several problems that inhibit their working abilities, there is no reason presenteeism should cause any trouble.

5) Smile.

6) Smile smile smile. When you turn in/ pick up your application be dressed ready to interview. I know a lot of people have been very unhappy with the resort as of late, but I've met so many amazing people that I would describe it as one of the best experiences of my life. And everytime we lose someone to presenteeism, it's upsetting, but I just remember that it's still because of Disney that I know them. This is kind of hard to explain, so sorry if that's confusing. But you get to see and make little magical moments every day. And people get frustrated and are tired, and on crowded days it's not always happy. But I haven't been there one day without something happening that made me feel like what I do impacts people's lives, even if it's just for a few moments. I don't know.. sorry to get all mushy. But it makes me sad to hear so many of my friends lose sight of why they applied in the first place, and I still get excited everytime I walk down Main Street. So yeah, hopefully this was somewhat helpful. And you should talk to people at CSUF probably seven out of every ten people in your classes are cast members or have been at some point, so they can give you advice.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

since you are still in school- you might want to look into applying for an internship. What sector of the company do you want to work in someday? Starting out as an hourly CM can be a good way to move through the ranks, but an internship can be even better. Check them out at www.disneycollege.com
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Namaste and Good Luck

I heard that Merchandise was the priority for hiring right now. Maybe I heard wrong.
    Rebel Justin
    Back & Reporting for Duty!

My CM Tenure: 1/11/03 - 5/30/06; 3/5/11-?
    Tomorrowland Stores

• Lost in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by MSEPForever
    /\ Is their a reason why Disney is getting rid of the RPTss and the CR-25's?
    Disney is trying to cut down on the number of cast members who get health care benefits. In some departments (especially non-union departments), they have already started phasing out RPTs and CR-25s. As for the unionized departments, I believe some of them are still in negotiations. It's all part of Disney's "Presenteeism" changes, which seem to keep coming every few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Justin
    I heard that Merchandise was the priority for hiring right now. Maybe I heard wrong.
    That's what I would think too. We are hurting pretty badly. We have new hires every few weeks so I am assuming they are hiring in stores.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast