Question Fireworks & Fantasmic possible to do the same night?

We are going to DLR 9/22-9/26. I am trying to lay out a game plan but I'm finding it difficult not being a seasoned DL vet! I'd like to plan to do the fireworks on Friday just in case they get canceled we'd have 2 more nights to try and catch them, but I'd also like to do the 10:30 Fantasmic show the same night for 2 reasons, 1- I'm afraid Sat & Sun will be busier than Friday & 2 I have 3 small kids (ages 6,4,1) so the idea of fighting the crowds w/ them in tow 2 nights to sit & wait doesn't sound appealing plus I'd rather be able to enjoy the crowd free Tomorrowland & such on Sat/Sun night.
    Question is doing both on the same night a bad idea if I'd like good viewing of Fantasmic as we've never seen the show? I've been suggested a spot by a friend for an area by haunted mansion but sounds like it's a side view & not sure if I'd be happy even if it is crowd free. Also don't want to "bum rush" thought crowds as I'll have 3 kids & don't like being rude. Suggestions?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Re: Fireworks & Fantasmic possible to do the same night?

First of all, welcome to Micechat, Neciastar!

Hmmm...the fact that you have three little ones will make it a bit tough for you to do both. You might start with the Fireworks on Friday, in case they get cancelled for some reason, and make sure they get a chance to see Tink and Dumbo. You won't need to camp out, necessarily, but you'll probably want to stake out a spot at least 45 minutes in advance. It is worth noting that you can see both Tink and Dumbo from some areas in Fantasyland, but your view of the larger fireworks would be a bit compromised by trees, etc, so in front of the castle is usually the best for Magical. If you are over towards the Frontierland entrance side, you'll lose Dumbo, so try to get towards the center or over on the Tomorrowland side.

The upside of watching from Fantasyland, however, is that you could take the big Thunder Mountain trail over to Frontierland, and beat most of the rush trying to come in through the Frontierland entrance. They'll stop you as you wait for the huge rush to empty out, but as soon as they are out, you're more towards the front of the crowd coming in. I've done it twice now and ended up with a pretty decent spot for the 10:30 show both times...but I didn't have three little ones in tow.

Another option is to watch the fireworks from the Main Street train station and take the first train following the fireworks over to the New Orleans Station. You won't see much of Tink or Dumbo, but you'll get BEHIND the crowd coming out and score some decent seats for the 10:30 show.

But ultimately, if you are going to be there for the weekend, you might want to put all your eggs in one basket and make sure you have a decent spot for each show, which would probably involve a bit of waiting both nights.

• Fantasmic! Fanatic

Personally I would recommend doing those on separate nights so that is no rush to get to places. For Fantasmic! viewing my favorite spot is in the standing zone but is DEAD center to the stage. Getting there around 7PM-715 works perfect every single time that I've gone. You may want to do the sitting spot up by the railing thats up to you.
    It is possible to do Fantasmic! 905 and World of Color 1115 but its tight if your going for those days I would do the night time shows on separate nights. Good luck!!! Bing Maps

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmanatic View Post
    Personally I would recommend doing those on separate nights so that is no rush to get to places. For Fantasmic! viewing my favorite spot is in the standing zone but is DEAD center to the stage. Getting there around 7PM-715 works perfect every single time that I've gone. You may want to do the sitting spot up by the railing thats up to you.
    It is possible to do Fantasmic! 905 and World of Color 1115 but its tight if your going for those days I would do the night time shows on separate nights. Good luck!!! Bing Maps

Just a heads up on the World of color 11:15. If they are running the 11:15 show on the weekends, keep in mind that they will still close the park at 10:00. If you don't have a TICKET, they won't admit you to the park, even if you want to watch WOC from the side or rear.

• Disneyland History Lover

Welcome to the boards!

Both the fireworks and Fantasmic are certainly doable in the same night, but no matter how you slice it, you'll probably have to deal with the "bum rush." Especially if you want to get good viewing spots (and you will). My personal suggestion is, if you have multiple nights for which to view these shows, use them. I don't think Saturday will be as busy as either Friday night or Sunday night. I think a lot of annual passholders are blocked out on Saturday. The best place to view the fireworks (I believe Remember... Dreams Come True will be playing weekends this fall), is from either the end of the hub nearer the Castle or from the upper end of Main Street where the vehicle tracks cross (just north of Coke Corner). For Fantasmic, you'll definitely want to be in the middle to get the best experience. If you want to sit, get there early and get a spot in the ground seating area. If you'd prefer to stand, be sure and get behind the ropes immediately behind the seating area so that no one is standing in front of you (some uncourteous people still choose to stand in there anyway, so just be careful). Either that, or stand on the bridge above the Pirates of the Caribbean entrance.
    Last edited by Princess Victoria; 09-11-2010 at 05:06 PM.

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

Something to keep in mind: Friday nights tend to be really busy. Busier than the weekend crowds, and large portions of the guests are there for the shows.

Based on your criteria, I would recommend attending the 10:30 showing of Fantasmic on Friday. Spend time on that side of the park beforehand (Critter Country and New Orleans Square). Try to catch the fireworks another night.

Enjoy your trip!

• Banned User

There will be around 2,000 people who try to go from Main Street to Fantasmic making it like traveling from Hell to Heaven in 1 hour.

Wow thanks everyone that gives me more to think about. So it kind of sounds like I Saturday may not be as bad as I assumed for the shows at least. I had no idea to expect it to be busier on Friday night. I guess I just was thinking of it as a weeknight. I know this is technically the off season but the only other time I went was 2 yrs ago for 1 day to DL on a Tuesday in early May it was a little sprinkly rain & it was busier than I expected... So I'm kind of trying to prepare for worse than I expect...
    After reading this I think I will definitely plan them for separate nights thinking 10:30 fantasmic Friday & fireworks on Saturday. That leaves Sunday for the in case something comes up the other nights we can do it Sunday!
    I plan to do the 8:15 show for WOC on Thurs 9/23.

• Fantasmic!

Just so you know, by September 22nd, the firework show isn't Magical, it'll be changed to Remember... Dreams Come True. If that makes any difference. They're both really good.

• A Weather Eye Open

I tend to recommend seeing the fireworks the first night, and Fantasmic! The 2nd, because if you see Fantasmic! (either showing), you're likely to be watching the fireworks from the Rivers of America, which is not a great view. The music and soundtrack is going, but you cannot see most of the pyro that is shot from the castle area, and certainly not the projections and lights on the castle or Matterhorn. You also cannot see Tinker Bell from this angle.
    I think it tends to spoil the fabulous fireworks show to see if kind of halfway first. That's why I recommend fireworks the first night, and F! the second, so that the fireworks that come before or after F! are a "repeat" viewing.

I also recommend the 10:30 showing of Fantasmic!
    To enter the crowd, I generally show up just when the second show has ended (You can park yourself in Adventureland somewhere at about (9:20-9:25), and listen to the finale music) and enter the crowd, holding hands tight with my party and snaking through the people who are exiting. Only about half the people exit, because half of them want to stay and view the fireworks from there. So I get as far to the left and as close to the water as I can without crowding people, and watch the fireworks. Then, when those are over, the other half of the first crowd will exit. Lots of people will already have arrived for the second show, and you will all continue to snake your way through the crowd to the left and to the front. Get as close to center, or just to the left of it, as you can, in the front sitting area by the river. If you hang too far to the right, you may end up in an area that they tend to clear out of people and not let them camp there.
    As this involves lots of squeezing through crowds, it may not be best with kids, but I have never, EVER failed to get front row center using this method.

Alternative approaches that may be easier with the kids: Go to New Orleans square during the fireworks. You can cross the Adventureland bridge (see below in case it is one way only when you approach it) and go through the streets of New Orleans to end up by the Haunted Mansion. Then, whent he fireworks have ended, come at it from that side (far left when facing the river) and it will be less crowded and easier to find riverfront seating on the left side of center.

If you don't mind standing room, another GREAT view of F! that tends to fill up later than the sitting areas is the roped off area along the fence of the Adventureland bridge. You'll need to get into New Orleans Square and come at the bridge from the left side of it, as the right half has the view blocked by trees. If you can't go into NOS from the bridge, go down by the path on the right to the lower level, and enter the Pirates of the Caribbean line. You can ride pirates and pop out in the middle of NOS (bonus!), or just hop out of line once you're climbed the ramps over by the window where they sell clam chowder, and then you can cross the bridge from the left and duck under the ropes against the fence. Because it's really elevated, it gives a great view, and if you get there early enough (when fireworks have just ended), there's a fence for the kids to hang on or lean up on while you wait.

This is probably waaaaay too much information, but navigating the crowds without getting trapped by then is really an art form, and it enables you to arrive sooner than all the other people who want to see the same show as you (in this case, the 10:30 F!)
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)