Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• I'm a Lutheran

Talking Haunted Mansion Holiday Music!

Just a bit of a random topic here, but as most of you know HMH has two different soundtracks. One by Gordon Goodwin for 2001 and the other by John Debney (Who based his score off of Danny Elfman's work) for 2002 +. There is somewhat of a debate regarding the two different soundtracks as the 2001 barely got any chance to shine, while the 2002 soundtrack has been around ever since its premiere. The 2001 soundtrack in my opinion feels like an off-beat and ruined Christmas while the 2002 soundtrack sounds like a jolly-good (And creepy) time in an elegant haunted mansion. Personally I prefer both soundtracks...but only certain tracks on them...so what do you think?

Do you prefer the 2001 soundtrack or the 2002 + soundtrack?
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Disney Fan & Musician

Re: Haunted Mansion Holiday Music!

2002+, but Goodwin's graveyard score.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• I'm a Lutheran

/\ Ya, the original Graveyard score was just so...WOW...while the 2002 version is good, it just makes the Graveyard seem more in a "winter sleep" than a swinging wake.

YouTube - Disneyland Haunted Mansion Holiday (2002-present) graveyard music

YouTube - Haunted Mansion Holiday 2001/2002 - Graveyard BGM

Tokyo combined the two Graveyard tracks. The minstrels play the song heard in the first minute of the 2002 video while the 2001 track plays over the entire area. They actually match up rather nicely, lol. I REALLY like this song too:

YouTube - Haunted Mansion Holiday 2001/2002 - Exit Music
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

I don't remember the 2001 soundtrack very well. I just recall getting off the ride and thinking that there must have been some legal issue with Disneyland using the music from the movie because the soundtrack didn't sound like NBC to me.

• Faerie Godmother

I prefer the Goodwin soundtrack. It manages to blend a variety of melodies, while the 2002- soundtrack just uses different mixes of "Kidnap the Sandy Claws" (which isn't even close to being the best song in the film).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    Just a bit of a random topic here, but as most of you know HMH has two different soundtracks. One by Gordon Goodwin for 2001 and the other by John Debney (Who based his score off of Danny Elfman's work) for 2002 +. There is somewhat of a debate regarding the two different soundtracks as the 2001 barely got any chance to shine, while the 2002 soundtrack has been around ever since its premiere. The 2001 soundtrack in my opinion feels like an off-beat and ruined Christmas while the 2002 soundtrack sounds like a jolly-good (And creepy) time in an elegant haunted mansion. Personally I prefer both soundtracks...but only certain tracks on them...so what do you think?

Do you prefer the 2001 soundtrack or the 2002 + soundtrack?
    I'm not quite sure what you are saying, in the phrases I underlined.

The first year of the Haunted Mansion Holiday, they did not have enough time to get all the legalities in order to use the Nightmare Before Christmas Soundtrack. So, Instead of using songs from the movie, they used more traditional Christmas songs, BUT in a off key/haunted sounding sort of way. It was very befitting for a Haunted Mansion.

From what I remember offhand, the stretching room and the changing portrait hallway, used a sound of a haunted children's choir.

In the cooridor of doors, the hallway leading up to Leota, It was the Man eating Plants "singing" Deck the Halls! The song they chose for this area, and the "vocalization" of the man eating plant was PERFECT for this part of the attraction! It was my favorited part of the HMH!

In the Ballroom, the organist play the off tune/haunted version of "Ring Christmas Bells". Once again, the haunted sounding harmonizing of the organ playing that traditional Christmas song was again THE PERFECT CHOICE for the Ballroom, and all the spirited dancers.

I don't recall the song used in the attic scene.

As for the Graveyard scene, that really didn't change, the soundtrack remained the same. It has a traditional Christmas song, a version of Jingle Bells mixed in with the occassional "Grim Grinning Ghosts come out to celebrate" tune.

For the second year, Much of the Childrens' choir, haunted humming disappeared, although a small portioin does remain. The Deck the halls was completely replaced. Throughout much of the masion, you now hear "Kidnap the Sandy Claws" from the soundrack of the nightmare movie, rather than the original HMH soundtrack.

The first year I was expecting some of the Nightmare songs to be used, however, the soundtrack that they used, that first year, was done so perfectly for the mansion, that I hoped it would just stay that way. When the 2nd year arrived, with partially new HMH sountrack, I was rather disappointed with it. It forced too much of the Nightmare movie into the Mansion. And really using the song "Kidnap the Sandy Claws" just doesn't fit the theme of Jack decorating the mansion. That song is Lock Shock and Barrel's song. That song was not used by the part of Halloweentown that was trying to interpret "Christmas". For instance the Halloweentown Band DID attempt to play some Christmas Carols, but in that off key way. and that is very much what the 1st years soundtrack was successful in doing.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    I prefer the Goodwin soundtrack. It manages to blend a variety of melodies, while the 2002- soundtrack just uses different mixes of "Kidnap the Sandy Claws" (which isn't even close to being the best song in the film).
    ^This.

It's funny, really. I remember when HMH debuted and so many people were whining that the music wasn't taken directly from NBC. Then the next year they changed it to basically nothing but Kidnap the Sandy Claws and people whined that they wanted the soundtrack from the previous year back.

The part I miss most from the original soundtrack is the version of Carol of the Bells that played in the ballroom scene.

• Johnny and Me!

Anyone besides me miss the "Scarols" that played outside in line?

YouTube - Haunted Mansion Holiday Scarol #1

This vid has a minute-long intro, you can skip ahead if you want.

• Minion

The Scarols were fun, but I hated the year they debuted and had that obnoxious guy running around the line with a microphone trying to get everyone to sing along. It was better when they just let the scarols play on their own.

While I liked the scarols, I think I prefer the haunting chimes (from DLP?) that have played in the queue for the past couple of years. It's subtle yet spooky.

• show'em yer larboard side

Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    The part I miss most from the original soundtrack is the version of Carol of the Bells that played in the ballroom scene.
    That is the best part of the entire 2001 soundtrack.

I love the original, but there's one part in the narration that always makes me cringe: "Jack's holiday vision was unlike no other." That phrase is so grammatically incorrect! I detest double negatives.

I also get a little annoyed by "more rapid than vultures, the mansion was changed." Firstly, I didn't realize vultures were fast. Secondly, "more rapid" is also a grammatical error. A quick Google search of this line also brings up a 'gothic' version of The Night Before Christmas. It appears to be used in many people's own versions/parodies, as well. It makes me wonder about the origin of that line. Hmm.

Being an English major and a bit of an amateur grammarian, those lines just always bothered me. Other than that, I really enjoy the original because it seems more Christmasy, and I love that the music itself borrows from familiar seasonal songs.
    Last edited by DLmeg33; 09-14-2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Clarity...I tend to ramble.

"No fear have ye of evil curses, says you? Properly warned ye be, says I. Who knows when that evil curse will strike the greedy beholders of this bewitched treasure?"

DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES

"Perhaps ye knows too much. Ye've seen the cursed treasure, ye know where it be hidden. Now, proceed at yer own risk. These be the last friendly words ye'll hear. Ye may not survive to pass this way again."

• Wanna be Sub Mermaid

I had never heard the 2001 soundtrack before, probably because my first time on the HMH was last October but I do have to say I think I'm liking Goodwin's soundtrack a lot, especially the graveyard scene!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLmeg33 View Post
    I also get a little annoyed by "more rapid than vultures, the mansion was changed." Firstly, I didn't realize vultures were fast. Secondly, "more rapid" is also a grammatical error. A quick Google search of this line also brings up a 'gothic' version of The Night Before Christmas. It appears to be used in many people's own versions/parodies, as well. It makes me wonder about the origin of that line. Hmm.
    LOL, I always thought he was saying "more rabid than vultures".

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post

Tokyo combined the two Graveyard tracks. The minstrels play the song heard in the first minute of the 2002 video while the 2001 track plays over the entire area. They actually match up rather nicely, lol. I REALLY like this song too:
    While admirable... tokyo's soundtrack clashes so badly when coming out of the attic into the graveyard. =P I prefer the 2001 version to the 2002 one as well. When I first went on HMH I'd only heard the 2001 version and when I got to the graveyard I was disappointed. I've learned to like the 2002+ version but I'd still love to ride the mansion with the original soundtrack intact.

And about "kidnap the sandy claws" not really being about jack redecorating the mansion..we can't forget they use "making christmas" in the foyer and used it in the stretching room in 2002 before reverting to the 2001 stretching room after a couple of weeks. So if we go by the person who made it's original intent, it was there disney just decided it didn't fit well enough.

• Lycanthropic Tendencies

hey whats the best place to get both soundtracks? i only have the original HM soundtrack which i bought at the park though it was some years ago and now i can't even remember what store. so is it better for me to purchase the soundtracks online or at the park?
    "Yep, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Life moves pretty fast and if you don't stop to take a look around once in a while you could miss it."

Lucas

• Who are you again?

I like both of the soundtracks
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast