Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MC State Comptroller

SgtPeper's "All By Myself" Trip Report 9-9-10

Hello all and welcome to my trip report. This report was almost not meant to be. I got a call about a week prior from my dad asking me if I wanted to go see some relatives in LA. It was going to be a difficult time with the kid starting school and the wife working full time, but I had not seen my extended family in quite some time. So with the encouragement of my family I went.

I found myself busy most of the week spending time with various aunts, uncles, and assorted cousins, but soon found that I would have all day Thursday with nothing to do. I originally considered going to Universal Studios, but then started to want to make a Disneyland trip. I felt torn, because my son would find out and may get upset about me going, especially since he really wanted to come to LA. So after tossing and turning and posting about it here on Mice Chat I had resolved myself to NOT go. However, Disney magic works in mysterious ways and that night I had a dream of going to Disneyland that was so vivid that when I woke up I had made up my mind to go. So off i went, battling the traffic on the 5 south, to Anaheim. It wasn't such a bad drive, I made it to Mickey and Friends parking in about an hour, parked and rode the tram to the park. First thing I noticed, although I did not get a pic, was the Happy Halloween decorations on the tram way. Nice touch. Soon I was at Downtown Disney and decided to stop at LA Brea for a quick breakfast. I got to say the fruit and yogurt cup was good, but a bit too pricey. After breakfast and buying a 1-day park hopper I was at the plaza.

After renting a ECV, I made my way into Disneyland stopping to take some pics.

I made my way down Main Street to get a good pic of the Partners statue with the castle in the background. It's here I noticed that the crowds, although somewhat light, seemed to larger than other off season times. i later found out that a lot of the schools in LA had not gone back to school yet. It was still pretty light for most of the day. A couple of rides had 10-15min wait on them. Nemo and Matterhorn had 20 minutes a certain times, but it wasn't as bad as when I usually go.

I then made my way to Tomorrow land to ride Buzz. It's the first ride me and my son do, so in honor of him, I decided to do that.

On my way over there I saw the closed up Star Tours.

Looking forward to when it reopens, but am sad at the loss of nostalgia.

After a ride on Buzz I decided to head over to watch Captain EO. But I was to be denied since it wasn't Captain EO but,

"Captain EO: A Tribute". Hmm, should I expect Tenacious D to show up? That would be awesome if they did. I struggled with seeing this. I don't want to turn this TR into a debate, but I will admit to liking MJ when I was a kid. When EO first came to Disneyland I was so excited. The very next time we were at Disneyland I made my parents take me to it first and made them watch it twice. It would've been 3 times, but my Dad was about to have a coronary so my Mom bribed me with a toy. Since then MJ's magic has gone away and I don't think I would take my son to watch this, unless he really wanted to, but due to my love of nostalgia I went in and took a seat. It was fun, and it seemed shorter this time than the last time I saw it. The effects were okay, but to me, it didn't hold up. I will say the cast member welcoming people into the theater was quite charming with the bad MJ puns. I hope they put something new in there soon though.

My next intention was to ride the Matterhorn, but the line was back past the Nemo que so I continued on to Fantasyland with a promise to return to it later. On my way to Fantasyland I decided I had to see IASW with the Disney character additions.

So I can see why some people where upset, but personally, I thought the additions were cool. They were not obvious and they did not take anything away from the ride. I like the addition of the Three Callbaleros (sp?).

Next Up Mickey's Toontown.

Strolling into Toontown I was greeted by Goofy and Minnie.

I haven't seen two characters interacting with each other for awhile so it was nice to see. I debated riding Roger Rabbit, but since I was starting to get hungry and did not want to eat till I got to Cafe Orleans, I decided to go visit an old friend.

I hadn't seen Mickey in long time, and although he is not my favorite character, he is always special to see. I was lucky enough however to see my second favorite character and get a picture with him

I must say, the hardest thing about going by yourself to Disneyland is getting yourself in the picture. Usually there is a CM nearby to help, but this time I had to rely on the kindness of strangers. They didn't disappoint and I was very thankful for their assistance.

Well, let's take a lunch break here. Coming up a visit to Fantasyland, getting denied on Pirates then denied on Indy and much much more. Thanks for reading and I will update soon!
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Re: SgtPeper's "All By Myself" Trip Report 9-9-10

Thanks for your report and for your photos! Glad you had a great time!

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

if i had a nickel for every time i dreamt of going to Disneyland the night before i went to Disneyland...i'd be broke.

great trip report!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Keep them comin SgtPeper! Hope you had some nice alone time at DL!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Shifting cargo

Looks like a fun day so far. Keep those pictures coming!

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

• Goofy

nice trip report.

you have such a sweet face! Love the TR..can't wait to see more.

Did you end up telling your son that you went to DL without him? I remember reading your thread a while back on if you should go to DL or not.
    Next DL trip is in 2 WEEKS!!!!!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Glad you were able to spend some time in the park! This is a great time of year to make a visit!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MC State Comptroller

. . .And we're back! Sorry bout that extra long "lunch break", but the days just crept right by me. Anyways, I hope everyone had a good lunch. Plenty of churro's and Dole Whips for everyone. Let's continue.

So after my excursion into Toontown, I was famished, but I knew I wanted some gumbo and a Monte Cristo from Cafe Orleans. I also knew I wasn't going to eat anything until I got there, but I had to go through Fantasyland to get there. So instead of doing the smart thing and just heading straight to NOS to eat, I decided to hit few rides in Fantasyland. First up Mr. Toad

Followed by Peter Pan

This ride was a little difficult for me without my son. He loves this ride and it surprisingly hit me harder than riding BLAB. I am not afraid to admit that I started to tear up in the beginning. But then I saw Smee!!!!! I heart Smee. He is my favorite Disney character (important later so remember readers) and just seeing him made me happy again. After Peter Pan I wanted to do King Arthur's Carousel, but the wait was long and I thought I would tear up again so I just took a picture.

By this time I was so hungry, cannibalism was looking tempting so I got a quick ride on Pinocchio

started to head over to NOS through Big Thunder Pass,

past the Rivers of America and the Samuel Clemens

Right to NOS and the infamous Cafe Orleans. Since I was a single rider they got me a table right away and I was off on my culinary adventure! First up the Gumbo!

The gumbo is usually good, but this batch was not up to par according to my memories. I don't know if they changed the recipe or this batch was just off, but it was not as good as it was in the past. The Monte Cristo more than made up for it though!

Notice where my phone is tuned into!!!!

Delicious as always, it was well worth the wait. I had forgotten that I could order a Mint Julep here, so I had to go around the corner afterward to get one, but all in all lunch was excellent! Way to go Cafe Orleans.

So after all this I went to POTC and was told they were having "issues" and to check back later. Major D'OH thrown into my plans, but I made the best of it and cruised to Haunted Mansion to take some pics.

I then decided to get my ride on BTMRR and head back over to Tomorrowland to get on the monorail. They have setup the handicap entrance to BTMRR a little different. Instead of navigating through the exit and ramming people with your wheelchair or ECV, they now have a CM posted at the beginning of the exit to work as a traffic cop. The CM they had there was a great guy, and loved to talk, so I got a few minutes of some quality conversation with him. Super nice guy. If anyone knows the tall guy who was working the handicap entrance on BTMRR around 12pm-1pm on 9-9, let him know the big guy in the ECV with the phoenix suns shirt says hello!

So I cruise back through Fantasyland into Tomorrowland and get some good shots from the monorail deck.

I board the monorail for a trip around the Disneyland Resort

and get a few ok pics

Once I get back to TL station I decide to head back to POTC, first stop at Indy and see if I get Mara to grant me either wealth, wishes, or a really good health care plan. On the way I stop and snap a pic of an old friend

and head through the wooden arches

. . .to find an army of CM's standing at the entrance of Indy announcing that Indy was down (I guess him and Marion got into a little snit) but to check back later. Denied on Pirates, denied on Indy, what had I done to anger the ride gods that day? So off to check and see if I could get on POTC and the ride gods were back with me as I strolled (or scooted) right on up to the waterside and got on a boat right away!

So after wasting some money at the NOS pin shop, and taking a people watching break, I headed back to see if Indy had made up with Marion and I could finally get a ride.

Good News everyone! I got on. As a single rider even! After that it was time to have some Bengal

Bengal BBQ that is. A great mid-day snack to recharge the batteries. I feasted and was not disappointed. It was at this time, I decided to head over to DCA, but not before I got a Main Street Window display picture.

Not a great pic, I know, but they had The Rescuer's and 101 Dalmatians plus a few other classic Disney movies.

All right, we shall take a short break (I promise) here before we head into Disney's "Thank God for World of Color" California Adventure. Come back for some Paradise Pier pics, some soon to be non-existant ride pics and SMEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I promise you will be disappointed, but honestly what else are you gonna do?
    Last edited by sgtpeper; 09-18-2010 at 06:54 PM.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Quote Originally Posted by snowwhite9011 View Post
    you have such a sweet face! Love the TR..can't wait to see more.

Did you end up telling your son that you went to DL without him? I remember reading your thread a while back on if you should go to DL or not.

I remember your previous post also. So... did you end up telling your son? BTW, great TR!

• Part of your chat. xD

Awesome pics and trip report!^^ Glad you had a great time!

LOL How funny that I didn't really notice the toy story characters on It's a Small World. To me it's pretty neat to see them, espically the Three Callbaleros.

• Done with MC.

Great TR ~ really enjoyed your pics!

• MC State Comptroller

Alright let's finish this bad boy up. I know you are all dying to read the exciting conclusion to my trip report. I imagine you all doing the pee pee dance in nervous anticipation, so let's begin.

But first to answer the question. Yes, I did tell my son. I actually told him while I was at the park, because he wanted to talk to me. He didn't know where I was, but when he asked what I was doing I told him. He was upset and he has my temper which isn't a good thing. I could also tell he was hurt as he abruptly passed the phone to my wife and stomped away. I talked to her for a little bit and got off the phone. That is when I started to people watch. I seriously considered leaving then, but then my phone rang and it was my boy. All would be forgiven if I brought him back some things. So I proceeded to shop and shop and shop some more. Funny thing was, by the time I got home a few days later he had forgotten about my "cheating" on him and when I unloaded his loot, he was more than happy. Although now he wants to go back soon, so it looks like I will be returning to Disneyland sooner than I think!

So let's depart Disneyland formal and say good bye to the DLR

And let's head into DCA. First stop Soarin' over California in 1999.

?Quien Es Mas Macho?

Or

?Quien Es Mas Macho?

Paradise Pier as it stands. . .for now

I like how they added Mickey's face, but every time I see the sun wheel with his face on it, it makes me feel like it is some kind of altar where people come to worship the ferris wheel god known as Mickey. Plus I swear his eyes follow you everywhere. It's kind of cool. . .but freaky.

Can't wait for Goofy's Flight School. Hopefully the cars for the ride will be better suited for freakishly tall people like myself.

I really wanted to get onto Silly Symphony Swings.

But the ride gods were ready to again deny this foolish mortal as they had it closed for WOC prep. They were running though, just empty.

Say hello good bye to the MaliBOOMER (sorry it's a stupid name).

I already knew that TSMM was closed before coming to the park, but still I like this ride so I took a few shots.

Good bye to Paradise Pier. They miss our money already!

It was getting late and I was getting a little tired. I wanted to get to the garage before the mass exodus of people who stayed for WOC, but I wanted to cruise Hollywood Pictures Backlot a little.

And I am glad I did. I decided to make a quick stop into Off The Page to tempt me into purchasing some more Disney art or collectibles. As I was perusing the store I came across one of their artists doing a character drawing for a customer. Usually when I come in, they are on break or 3 people deep but this time she was finishing up with a customer and I decided to peruse the book of characters. I thought about getting a Lightening McQueen or Woody and Buzz for my son, but when I came across PP15 I must admit I became selfish. For on PP15 I saw SMEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! So after she was finished with the other customer (she had drawn for him a outstanding Boo for his daughter) she began work on Smee!

On a side note I did ask her if l could take pictures and she didn't mind. I kept the focus on her work. She was dedicated and knew what she was doing. She took her time, but it didn't take very long. She did a fabulous job and I was really impressed with her artistry. Here is the finished product, judge for yourself.

So after she finished I bought the frame and paid. I thanked her profusely and left. So then I sang a song about a honky tonk, and it was time to leave.

All in all I had a blast. I was never nervous about going by myself to DL and I strongly suggest everyone give it a try at least once. You can do things at your own pace, take a lot of photos, eat when and where you want and make a complete *** of yourself as you trip over a step going into the Frontierland candy and clothes shop and face plant on the floor while banging your knee making it very black and blue. (A quick side note, thanks for the no help two CM's in the store who saw me fall, but I ain't mad at ya).

So the next time you find yourself in the neighborhood and are debating about going by yourself. GO! It's worth it.

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Glad things worked out between you and your son. Funny how a few gifts fix everything for kids.

Glad someone else enjoys watching artists draw. I usually watch the one on Main St. at the Emporium shop if someone is there.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Most excellent! A really great TR! I hope your knee is better now.

"sang a song about a honky tonk and it was time to leave" Brilliant!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast