• Seeker of Fun

Disneyland Railroad

This might be the easiest question ever, but I just have to ask. Why is it called the Disneyland & Santa Fe Railroad? I can think of some obvious reasons, like a partnership, etc. But is there something I'm missing?
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Big Al fan

Re: Disneyland Railroad

Well that was it's original sponsorship (Santa Fe) at the beginnig of the park. Hence the Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad. Now called that anymore if you are still wondering....
    "There was.....blood on the saddle, and.....blood all around, and a great big, puddle of .....blood on the ground."

-Big Al-

Come visit my blog Disney in Review over at
    http://disneyfanreviews.blogspot.com/

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Wrong thread.

• Now 40% less bitter!

I think Steve DeGaetano wrote something about this. You may want to check his articles.
    Oo-de-lally!

• A Weather Eye Open

Steve has written loads about the railroad's history; I'm sure it's way more info than you'll ever need if you're not a RR aficionado.

Like you guessed, it was a sponsor ship that partnered with Disney to create the attraction:
    Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Steve is currently busy worrying about the paint on Main Street so I'll take a stab a this. The Disneyland Railroad is no longer considered the Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad but was called this in the past because the Santa Fe railroad was once a sponsor. I could be wrong about part of this but this is what I remember.

• Closed Account

It was never called the Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad (except when Walt goofed once and wrote that in an article).

However, once it was known as the Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad (or "Railway," depending on your source).

Once upon a time, when Walt was looking for sponsors for the Disneyland trains, the Santa Fe was the only railroad to respond. Which was just peachy for Walt, 'cause his uncle used to be an engineer on the line, and the railroad used to run though the middle of his farvorite place--Marceline. And coincidentally, a couple of his good buds, like Fred Gurley and Earnest Marsh, just happened to be pretty high up in the Company. Like President. Or Chairman.

So it all just sort of worked out.

But after Walt died there was no more personal connection between the Park and the railroad. And then Disneyland tried to extort huge sponsorship fees. And the Santa Fe wanted to run diesles at the Park. Things got ugly fast. The Santa Fe said "we're outta here." Disney management wanted to charge the Santa Fe to remove every vestige of the railroad from Disneyland. Of course, the Santa Fe replied with a very heartfelt "F-you."

So now we just have the Disneyland Railroad.

The end.

• Seeker of Fun

Thank you everyone for all your input, and thanks for the information Steve!
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Closed Account

Sure, 4Apples.

The question does open the floor to discussion of the Railroad's multiple personalities over the years.

As I've noted, some ephemera associated with the railroad (like Conductor hat badges) call it the Santa Fe & Disneyland Railway. Some references call it the Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad (like the tender lettering).

Engineer hat patches just called it the Santa Fe & Disneyland--no RR or RY.

Walt, writing an article for "Railroad" magazine in 1965, called it the Disneyland & Santa Fe, switching the order of the names (perhaps he was thinking of the AT&SF railroad's real name, where "Santa Fe" comes last). I believe an early Main Street Station spiel also got the name incorrect in this manner.

Ironically, when wheels were cast for the railroad in 1955, they bore the name "Disneyland RR," seemingly in anticipation of the future name.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 10-06-2010 at 06:11 AM.

• Banned User

Because Disney knew that someday I would move from Garden Grove to Albuquerque and that would make me feel more comfortable in my transition to a new place and feel at "home" when I visited Santa Fe. (which I am this weekend)

hee hee heeee