Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Why is Disneyland Dirty?

"When I started on Disneyland, my wife used to say, 'But why do you want to build an amusement park? They're so dirty.' I told her that was just the point -- mine wouldn't be." -- Walt Disney.
    "I Only Hope That We Never Lose Sight Of One Thing,
    That It Was All Started By A Mouse." - Walt Disney
    http://www.StartedByAMouse.com

I'm one of the fortunate ones -- I've been to Disneyland Paris about six times, to Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea four times, and have had more than three dozen trips to Walt Disney World. (Still haven't been to Hong Kong Disneyland, though!)

Yes, DLP is pretty awful, but unless something has changed since my last visit three years ago, it's both a cultural thing (Paris ain't exactly clean) AND something that they diligently try to combat. There seem to be a lot of CMs who are in custodial. OK, so they're not NICE about it, but it's France!

The graffiti there is pretty incredible. People love to carve and write their names on walls, on railings, pretty much anywhere. Go to the top of the Eiffel Tower and it's the same. So, can I EXCUSE it there? To a certain degree, yes.

But then you go across the sea to Tokyo and head down to TDR and the whole place becomes ... astonishing. Remember that line in "Honey I Shrunk the Audience" when the wife makes a comment about the "Disney cleaning guys"? They just don't seem to exist. At Tokyo they sure do! The place is beyond pristine. Each morning when it opens, you'd swear you were the first guest ever to step foot in the park. Everything is in such a state of sheer perfection, it's unbelievable. Cast members DO THEIR JOBS, they don't spend their days wandering around from station to station cracking jokes and talking about the parties that night. They are hyper-attentive to the needs of guests, and a napkin errantly floating down the street will be blown out of the sky (so to speak) in no more than 10 seconds.

Tokyo Disneyland is a VISION of what Disneyland could and should be.

But we live in a society that is supposed to be able to offer its best services for the highest price. We pay the high price. Why not the best services?

The executive mindset of Disneyland's top brass seems to be, "Keep it clean enough, make sure they don't injure themselves, and when my family and I go, REALLY make it sparkle." It's the "let them eat cake" mentaility that is just amazing.

Tokyo Disney in so many ways reminds Disney fans of how it CAN be done. It's like visiting the next generation of Disney parks as IMAGINED AND BUILT BY Disney, not by committee. I love those parks dearly.

The most amazing part to me is that in many of the queue areas, there aren't even protective barriers. Guests just know NOT TO TOUCH things because it's impolite.

No one wants to ruin the beauty and fun for others ... and cast members work VERY hard to make sure that fun and beauty exists. Disney should take lessons from the Asian parks. They started out as the "red-headed stepchild" of Disney parks ... and are now the shining examples of how to maintain imagination, perfection, excitement and discovery in a Disney park .... how to make it feel eternally new and exciting! THAT'S the park I want to see. Hopefully we can see it again at Disneyland. That's a nice pipe-dream.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

"Why is Disneyland Dirty?"

Not enough goats!
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• =)

Why is Disneyland dirty? Because people put their trash on the ground instead of in the trash cans.

Next!

• Minion

They still clean Disneyland every night, right? Street sweepers and all. They don't start the next day with any trash on the ground, do they?

• A Weather Eye Open

I think people are really awful with their litter nowadays... i won't even leave stuff that decomposes outside on the ground, much less trash.

It's possible you just caught an understaffed day for the clean up crews. I've seen it bad in the parking areas, but never in the trams on in the parks. I've never seen a piece of trash larger than a gum wrapper in the parks that didn't already have a CM getting it up. There's trashcans everywhere in the park, so they're never overflowing.
    You mention you arrived in the mid-afternoon, and that is was crowded. It's possible lots of cleaning CMs (like those with seniority) were able to take the day off, as it is a working holiday (and those working would be paid holiday overtime). Disneyland may have even intentionally scheduled less custodial staff than usual in order to cut back on how much overtime they'd have to pay people.

I wouldn't say in general that the park is less clean than I've seen in the past few years, or even less clean than I suppose it's ever been (certainly the guests themselves are less clean, and litter more, but the staff keeps up just fine normally). I think this is probably a day-to-day fluke you experienced.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

That answer is plain and simple, it's dirty because people are lazy. Why do I have to pick up after people at my job? ( i work at a grocery store) because someone is too lazy to pick up after themselves. There can't be a custodial person at EVERY trash can at every moment it gets full. If people just picked up after themselves, our world would be a lot cleaner.

• knower of useless info

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    I think people are really awful with their litter nowadays... i won't even leave stuff that decomposes outside on the ground, much less trash.

It's possible you just caught an understaffed day for the clean up crews. I've seen it bad in the parking areas, but never in the trams on in the parks. I've never seen a piece of trash larger than a gum wrapper in the parks that didn't already have a CM getting it up. There's trashcans everywhere in the park, so they're never overflowing.
    You mention you arrived in the mid-afternoon, and that is was crowded. It's possible lots of cleaning CMs (like those with seniority) were able to take the day off, as it is a working holiday (and those working would be paid holiday overtime). Disneyland may have even intentionally scheduled less custodial staff than usual in order to cut back on how much overtime they'd have to pay people.

I wouldn't say in general that the park is less clean than I've seen in the past few years, or even less clean than I suppose it's ever been (certainly the guests themselves are less clean, and litter more, but the staff keeps up just fine normally). I think this is probably a day-to-day fluke you experienced.
    having made about 100 trips to the park in the last year and a half, i'd say all of this seems right. i rarely see trash left unattended to for longer than a minute or two, regardless of day, date, or time of day. there have been maybe three or four incidences where i noted full cans or an excess of trash (one of those being a woman dumping her diaper bag on the ground and leaving it all there, but again, it was handled INCREDIBLY fast) and there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to those times. they just seemed like off-days.

i've remarked on more than one occasion that disneyland is the only publicly accessed facility where i would walk around barefoot without hesitation.

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by craaash View Post
    i've remarked on more than one occasion that disneyland is the only publicly accessed facility where i would walk around barefoot without hesitation.
    have done!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

I'm sad the OP had their day ruined with other peoples trash. I was in the area, but Labor Day and Disneyland did not work for me. On so many levels. I can only guess how hard it was for the staff to keep up. People are PIGS. Blame them, not the park, its dedicated employees, or even the management team. If the magic was ruined,look at the cause, instead of placing blame on some poor soul trying their best to clean up after thoughtless guests. If you were to invite someone into your home, and they trashed the place, who would you point your finger at. Get real, and take a deep breath. You are surrounded by people who don't care about you, themselves, or the world they so happily trash.

• knower of useless info

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    have done!
    haha, excellent!

After rereading the original post, I just get more frustrated. So you found the trash cans in the parking structure full. Why are you bringing your trash to the park? Did you just leave it next to the can? If you saw trash on the tram, why didn't you take the time to pick it up???? I would have, because I love this place. Let me repeat that. I Love this place. Who are you? If you found garbage on the floor of your home, what would you do? Wait for someone else to pick it up? Give those cast members a hand, instead of being so quick to complain.It is your park, it's mine as well. If it's dirty. who is to blame? Enough with this rant.

• Future Indy Castmember

Its sad when I see trash lying around. I know that the custodail CM's must have a tough task tryng to pick up all the trash during the park hours. Whenever I can, I get the trash and put it in the nearest Trash Can or Recylce Can.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• We Want The Redhead

I 've posted in the past that on my parents first trip, they were so impressed with the cleanliness of the park, the prounced that the streets were so clean, you could eat off of them.
    I too remember how incredibly clean Disneyland was in 1968, even at peak times. It inspired me to help keep the place clean myself, and not only avoid littering, but to this day I still pick up and toss dry trash when I see it. My daughter following my example does also.
    There are clearly far fewer sweepers per guest now than there used to be, and with the park being messier many guests no longer seemingly feel inspired to do their part in keeping the place clean.
    In case anyone think I may be exaggerating, a quick trip to Daveland's photos from back in the day will show family pictures iof a truly spotless park. Not just postcard views, but regular visitor's pics as well. the place was immaculate.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

Because we are always stuffing our faces with junk food and drinks. And people haven't been taught (or just plain don't care) to pick up after themselves and toss those bottles, paper cups, churro wrappers into the proper receptacle.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast