Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Why is Disneyland Dirty?

Quote Originally Posted by blorgan View Post
    After rereading the original post, I just get more frustrated. So you found the trash cans in the parking structure full. Why are you bringing your trash to the park? Did you just leave it next to the can? If you saw trash on the tram, why didn't you take the time to pick it up???? I would have, because I love this place. Let me repeat that. I Love this place. Who are you? If you found garbage on the floor of your home, what would you do? Wait for someone else to pick it up? Give those cast members a hand, instead of being so quick to complain.It is your park, it's mine as well. If it's dirty. who is to blame? Enough with this rant.
    Buddy, you need the proverbial "chill pill."

• knower of useless info

Quote Originally Posted by Figment68 View Post
    For the person who said they would walk barefoot there ... really? Look down next time.
    that was me! and since i've been doing a photography project on the textures/patterns of disneyland (floors, walls, ceilings, everything) i spend plenty of time looking down, far more than the average guest. and in the almost two years i've had a pass and been taking these pictures, i still haven't seen the problem that's being described here.

i'm not a disney apologist and certainly the park isn't as clean as it was in the early days or even the mythical 1980s that people are referencing, but i still have no doubt that the mess described by the OP is, just as many of us have said, an off day. not the norm.

also, a 4,000 seat movie theater is, in no way, shape, or form, comparable to the 85 acre, 80,000 person capacity disneyland.

obviously, there could be more staff and a more conscientious approach to waste. and public spaces outside disneyland are often filthier and more littered than they were historically. and it would be not only lovely, but heartening to see guest littering less and being more conscious of heir surroundings and how they're impacting it.

but on the whole, it seems to me that the custodial staff is doing a darn good job with what they have to work with, including the size of the staff and guest behavior.

and i definitely still think the park is clean enough to walk barefoot.

Trust me, having 4,000 people in 18 screens on a busy Saturday is VERY much comparable to Disneyland -- especially since those people want their seats, snacks and drinks NOW. Until you've tried it ...

I did go ahead and start up a Flickr site so I could share some pictures of a trip I took to Tokyo Disneyland in March 2008. It was a Sunday afternoon, still a little on the brisk side, but the park was quite busy -- the wait for Space Mountain, as I recall, was 40 minutes, to put it in perspective. And yet, here's the kind of park I was greeted with. This is how Disneyland in Anaheim and Walt Disney World in Florida continue to exist in my memory, but sadly not in fact ...

(If these images don't appear properly, you are welcome to visit this Flickr set here: MrCasey's photosets on Flickr)

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craaash View Post
    that was me! and since i've been doing a photography project on the textures/patterns of disneyland (floors, walls, ceilings, everything) i spend plenty of time looking down, far more than the average guest. and in the almost two years i've had a pass and been taking these pictures, i still haven't seen the problem that's being described here.

i'm not a disney apologist and certainly the park isn't as clean as it was in the early days or even the mythical 1980s that people are referencing, but i still have no doubt that the mess described by the OP is, just as many of us have said, an off day. not the norm.

also, a 4,000 seat movie theater is, in no way, shape, or form, comparable to the 85 acre, 80,000 person capacity disneyland.

obviously, there could be more staff and a more conscientious approach to waste. and public spaces outside disneyland are often filthier and more littered than they were historically. and it would be not only lovely, but heartening to see guest littering less and being more conscious of heir surroundings and how they're impacting it.

but on the whole, it seems to me that the custodial staff is doing a darn good job with what they have to work with, including the size of the staff and guest behavior.

and i definitely still think the park is clean enough to walk barefoot.
    There are good days and bad days, of course. I have seen times when it would still be fine to walk around barefoot. Then there are those other times...
    I appreciate what the custodial staff does and wasn't suggesting they slack off, but rather that there aren't enough of them to take care of the inevitable overflow when the park is crowded, the guests are inconsiderate and the staff is undermanned. Like any other CM at Disney, by and large they are hardworking and polite. THey do their best.

• Minion

Labor Day was NOT extraordinarily crowded. It was busy, but not crazy busy. I hate to say it, but I saw SO MANY cast members just standing around talking to each other, it was amazing. Indy was broken down, and four cast members were standing outside the ride, laughing with each other, paying NO attention to guests ... and right in front of them, without making a huge show of it, I picked up trash from the ground and put it in a bin. They watched me, I don't think they appreciated or understood the irony of a paying guest picking up trash while the employee stands around and does (literally) nothing.
    Question since I have no clue. I know much of Disneyland is unionized and have no clue how their contracts are worded or written.

Now while I dont think employees should ignore guests, but could it be possible that an employee from another department is not allowed to do the job of another department?

What I mean is when I worked for a unionized company, our contract specifically prohibited someone from another department to do any task of another.

Example here from my days in a union environment:

I worked on the ramp part of our job was cleaning the inside of the airplanes, this was a specific duty for our job description. No matter how late a flight might have been, passenger service employees for example were not permitted to touch or pick up any trash inside the plane as this was a specific duty for my work group.

Now I didn't agree with the unions but those were the rules.

Now I have no clue as to how Disney works and their unions, but could they possibly have something similar?

Just a thought.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Trust me, having 4,000 people in 18 screens on a busy Saturday is VERY much comparable to Disneyland -- especially since those people want their seats, snacks and drinks NOW. Until you've tried it ...
    My wife manages a 20 screen theater ......I totally agree with you......
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• =)

Trust me, having 4,000 people in 18 screens on a busy Saturday is VERY much comparable to Disneyland -- especially since those people want their seats, snacks and drinks NOW.
    Actually, having 4000 people in 18 screens on a busy Saturday is very much comparable to one World of Color showing. I've been to the 10:15 and 11:15 shows during the summer, and their "theater" always seems to be returned to a spotless condition by the time the next show rolls around. Just like yours. If you want to make comparisons to the entire resort...well, I think you're gonna need a bigger theater.

Not that a filthy theoretical theater the size of the DLR would justify a filthy DLR. I'm just saying that you're comparing two entities of fundamentally different scales. It's like saying that if spiders can walk on vertical walls, dogs should be able to, also. They're both animals, right?

That being said, it's been established that this particular dog used to walk on walls. The questions are, of course, what has changed, and how do you combat that change? (And is the dog having quite as much trouble playing Spidey as you think it is, just based on that one bad experience?)

Until you've tried it ...
    Okay...based on your experience as a custodial CM at Disneyland, what specifically do you think your department needs to change?

• UnExiled Minion

(Can't see any of your pictures, here or at flickr.)

Now, take that 18-screen theater and create a "Yearly Movie Ticket," say, allowing people to go as many times to the movies in one year as they want to. And note that not all of these people will buy the higher-cost snacks and drinks (due to the lower revenues per attendee), but instead sneak their own in and leave the trash behind.
    Now, see if the theater owner can afford to pay the same amount of people to clean, or simply let the quality of the experience slide to match the revenues generated by the new pricing option.
    (Is this too blunt of an instrument for hitting a head with?)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Hmmm ... I am frustrated about this difficulty adding the Flickr photos. I went to all that trouble.

Let's try this again and see if it works:

Tokyo Disneyland - a set on Flickr

No, I've never been in custodial at Disneyland. But from what I've seen and experienced, I'd probably most recommend that corporate managers get INTO THE PARK and start lending a hand. And that cast members be reminded over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over (the way my old manager did back in the day -- we kind of hated her for it, but now I respect her hugely) that they are there to DO A JOB and to make sure that the people who paid money to get in have an A-plus experience ... not the other way around.

When I host a party at home, I let the guests make all the mess they want. Part of my duty is to clean up after them, right? Now, if they're paying 75 bucks to come to my house ...

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by craaash View Post
    t
    Nothing "mythical" about the 1980's Disneyland....it was insanely clean and for a variety of reasons:

• More Sit down eateries.....
    • Less ODV carts providing customers with litter ammo
    • No food or beverage allowed in queues.
    • More and better trained CM's per 1,000 guests
    • Higher percentage of guests were visiting for the first or second time in their life...so they treated the place uber special.
    • Less percentage of people visiting for the 433rd time....who probably didn't feel the place was all that special anymore.
    • Much higher percentage of Disney management who worked for and knew Walt himself....and believed in his philisophy as the way to do business.

Couldn't disagree with you more........but I suppose this is just a matter of opinion

By the way, it should be noted that in my pictures of Tokyo Disneyland, it WAS a fairly busy day. But it looks "empty." Because all of the major attractions were operating and it's just so amazingly efficient! Seriously. It's rather incredible how they do this.

• LaTruce

It's dirty because there were so many people. Anywhere you go where there's a lot of people, you'll have trash and litterbugs.

More guests = more trash, but it doesn't necessarily meN more waste management castmembers are available. It's sad but true that people in general.. A lot of them have this "this isn't MY house, someone else will clean it up" mentality.

If you ever hosted a party at your house, and after the party, you're cleaning up and realize how much easier it would be to clean if everyone just took care of their own trash... It's kind of like that. The mentality that it's not their house so "someone else will clean it"

Sad. But at least you probably feel better after you pick up some trash you came across which was easily accessible. I don't mean going out of your way, but simply just picking up trash thats by your foot of resting on the ledge you're hand is next to.

Or, LaTruce, I would hire people to do it.

SleepyJeff -- I think your wife must have the patience and organizational skills of a saint. Congratulations to her. I believe my former boss finally went insane.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

SleepyJeff -- I think your wife must have the patience and organizational skills of a saint.
    Considering that her average employee is about 17 years old and the fact that when she's all done working she gets to come home to take care of my son and I (and we're not exactly neat freaks ourselves ) I'd have to say "yeah, she is a saint"

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast