Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Why is Disneyland Dirty?

We went to Disneyland on Labor Day. Arrived mid-afternoon and discovered, thanks to the lack of blockout dates (which is why we went, so I can't exactly complain!) that it was much more crowded than anticipated. That was fine, and the crowds were certainly manageable, but here's my question:

Why is Disneyland almost constantly strewn with trash? In the parking garage, three trash cans we saw were overflowing. You literally had to place your garbage next to them, and they were disgusting.

On the tram over, there was trash on the floor from the previous passengers.

Two of the trash cans on Main Street were overflowing, despite cast members being relatively nearby.

Tomorrowland looked like it as Litterland, I kid you not. The queue for Buzz Lightyear had trash all throughout the planters. There was popcorn and candy on the ground in the inside queue. Space Mountain looked like Hansel and Gretel had been in line, with trails of popcorn and napkins throughout.

We went on the Jungle Cruise and, sadly, I even saw a Coke bottle floating in the river.

It was kind of disgusting, and the idea that Disneyland is "squeaky clean" was finally completely shattered. (I've TRIED to maintain this view for years despite the evidence, but this time it was impossible.)

I just don't get it. Disneyland can be overpriced, it can be overcrowded, it can have attractions down and maintenance going on ... that I can forgive. But does it actually have to be DIRTY now? Isn't Disneyland supposed to represent the idealized world? I'm a little saddened by what I saw. Yes, it was a busy day ... but is that really an excuse?

Re: Why is Disneyland Dirty?

the trash cans in the parking structure are always pverflowing with trash. They really need to consider adding a few more or changing the schedule so they could empty them more often. The trash that falls down gets blown around by wind or kicked around by people that have no sense.

Overall people are just getting lazy and sadly i have seen more and more guests do not care

• Forgotten Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by Figment68 View Post
    We went to Disneyland on Labor Day. Arrived mid-afternoon and discovered, thanks to the lack of blockout dates (which is why we went, so I can't exactly complain!) that it was much more crowded than anticipated. That was fine, and the crowds were certainly manageable, but here's my question:

Why is Disneyland almost constantly strewn with trash? In the parking garage, three trash cans we saw were overflowing. You literally had to place your garbage next to them, and they were disgusting.

On the tram over, there was trash on the floor from the previous passengers.

Two of the trash cans on Main Street were overflowing, despite cast members being relatively nearby.

Tomorrowland looked like it as Litterland, I kid you not. The queue for Buzz Lightyear had trash all throughout the planters. There was popcorn and candy on the ground in the inside queue. Space Mountain looked like Hansel and Gretel had been in line, with trails of popcorn and napkins throughout.

We went on the Jungle Cruise and, sadly, I even saw a Coke bottle floating in the river.

It was kind of disgusting, and the idea that Disneyland is "squeaky clean" was finally completely shattered. (I've TRIED to maintain this view for years despite the evidence, but this time it was impossible.)

I just don't get it. Disneyland can be overpriced, it can be overcrowded, it can have attractions down and maintenance going on ... that I can forgive. But does it actually have to be DIRTY now? Isn't Disneyland supposed to represent the idealized world? I'm a little saddened by what I saw. Yes, it was a busy day ... but is that really an excuse?
    Now now...the park was PACKED, so packed that we had to wait 20 minutes to get OUT of traffic! The line to get into the parking structure was stretching down Disneyland DR...into Harbor...it was stupidly long. I think it was seriously overpacked that day

I am sorry but go to DLRP and then tell me DLR is dirty. CM's are not perfect they can't empty every trash can the minute it gets full. I am sure it was so busy that they had a hard time keeping up.

• Forgotten Spirit

Oh and to add, they had the extra parking open that day because it was so packed :3

Overflowing trash cans is bad on the park, but trash elsewhere, well....
    As a former ride op, I found out real fast that guests on the midways will usually walk to a trash can, but when the next trash can is 5 minutes away (as in in a line) they will drop it where they stand

• Minion

It's that darn "entitlement" thing again.

"I paid $15 to park and $76 to get in, therefore I own this place and I have the right to drop my trash wherever I want. Someone is paid to pick it up, so I don't have to be bothered with such inconveniences as actually walking to a trash can and pushing forward where it says "Push." I have better things to do."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger_Twin89 View Post
    I am sorry but go to DLRP and then tell me DLR is dirty.
    Question: what in the world does the trashiness of Disneyland Paris have to do with Disneyland Anaheim?

Answer: nothing.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    It's that darn "entitlement" thing again.

"I paid $15 to park and $76 to get in, therefore I own this place and I have the right to drop my trash wherever I want. Someone is paid to pick it up, so I don't have to be bothered with such inconveniences as actually walking to a trash can and pushing forward where it says "Push." I have better things to do."
    True enough.

Then again, Disney management made the decision to pack the Park with bodies by aggressively marketing cheap Annual Passports; and cut back on the number of restaurants while increasing the number of trash-generating ODV sales carts; and cut back on the number of Custodial CMs.

It's not just the guests.

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Question: what in the world does the trashiness of Disneyland Paris have to do with Disneyland Anaheim?

Answer: nothing.

I am just saying go there and then come back and tell me that Disneyland is dirty. IMO Paris was the most disgusting park I have ever set foot into.

• Sorcerer in Training

When I went to Knott's Berry Farm about eleven years ago, we were repulsed by the uncleanliness of that. I am sure that they have gotten there act together. It was during the off season, but there's no excuse why the park shouldn't have been clean.

After that, I view Disneyland as clean. The CM's are under a lot of pressure everyday. They do their best to keep up with all of he trash cans in the park. I can't tell you how many times a day I see a custodial CM emptying a trashcan. They do indeed try. Don't forget that there are trashcans about ten feet apart from each other.

A little bit off-topic. I recently viewed a video of the "Kingdom of the Dinosaurs" attraction at Knott's. I think it's far less than Disney quality. I remember it reeked of wet wood. Most likely from all the humidity. The point: Disney is far cleaner than most other places.

Besides, the CMs can't control guest litter.
    YouTube page: The Sorcerer's Lair

"And so you see the magic isn't just in the animated characters, it's also in all of us"
    -Drawn to the Magic

"Remember...dreams come true"
    -Julie Andrews

"Some imagination, huh?"
    -Mickey Mouse

"Dreams are make believe, till they all come true"
    -Fantasmic!

"Believe me: this is one of the most exciting and challenging things that we've ever tackled at Walt Disney Enterprises"
    -Walt Disney.

"Disney has helped bring out the magic in us. Now let's work together and help bring out the magic in others."
    -SorcererHero5571

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SorcererHero5571 View Post
    The point: Disney is far cleaner than most other places.
    Definitely. But then, Disneyland being cleaner than Knotts, or Six Flags, or Las Vegas, or any other vacation spot, is even less on-the-point of the OP's post than Disneyland being cleaner than DLP.

The point is that Disneyland is less clean than Disneyland itself used to be, should be, and can be.

Quote Originally Posted by SorcererHero5571 View Post
    Besides, the CMs can't control guest litter.
    Correct.

However, Disney could budget and hire enough CM's to keep up with the added trash created by the combination of additional bodies, additional ODV trash and increasing entitlement-attitude -- if Disney wanted to spend the money.

Which they don't.

- Neil Gabler

• Parking Lot > DCA

Ever been to Knott's?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger_Twin89 View Post
    I am just saying go there and then come back and tell me that Disneyland is dirty. IMO Paris was the most disgusting park I have ever set foot into.
    No doubt true. And again, irrelevant to the OP's point that Disneyland is trashier than it used to be.

This thread is about comparing the standards of Disneyland to the standards of Disneyland, not comparing Disneyland to DLP, WDW, Universal, Knotts, Six Flags, the L.A. County Fair, your local neighborhood carnival, Dodger Stadium, public parks, county beaches, waterparks, miniature golf courses, or any other entertainment/amusement venues.

- Neil Gabler

• Sorcerer in Training

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Definitely. But then, Disneyland being cleaner than Knotts, or Six Flags, or Las Vegas, or any other vacation spot, is even less on-the-point of the OP's post than Disneyland being cleaner than DLP.

The point is that Disneyland is less clean than Disneyland itself used to be, should be, and can be.

Correct.

However, Disney could budget and hire enough CM's to keep up with the added trash created by the combination of additional bodies, additional ODV trash and increasing entitlement-attitude -- if Disney wanted to spend the money.

Which they don't.
    You are indeed correct. That's just what tends to happen over time. A company makes a great product, becomes top of the line, eventually becomes "must have". Then they the execs get a little bit lazy and cheapen up. They don't do it to the point where they are just like the competitin, but they do it to the point where they are still better than everybody else, but not as good as what they used to be.

This is obviously a very bad habit and can eventually lead to being crap. It's sad, but it's how the world tends to roll.
    YouTube page: The Sorcerer's Lair

"And so you see the magic isn't just in the animated characters, it's also in all of us"
    -Drawn to the Magic

"Remember...dreams come true"
    -Julie Andrews

"Some imagination, huh?"
    -Mickey Mouse

"Dreams are make believe, till they all come true"
    -Fantasmic!

"Believe me: this is one of the most exciting and challenging things that we've ever tackled at Walt Disney Enterprises"
    -Walt Disney.

"Disney has helped bring out the magic in us. Now let's work together and help bring out the magic in others."
    -SorcererHero5571

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast